Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

What is with that stitching so close to the edge on the fronts of those indys?

It's a new midsole. But if you look at a picture of the stock Indies, the stitching is the same distance from the upper, but there is more sole extending outside the ring of stitching. Here they are originally. BTW, that layer on the heel between the black rubber and the brick-colored neoprene is pressed paper!

indy1.gif

405s look fantastic Greg, I am green with envy. It'll be interesting to see if you grind the cats paws down as quickly as Chicken did. Chukkas also look lovely.

Hah! Though I probably walk as much on a given day on concrete as he does, I will rotate these shoes with many others, so it will be hard to tell!

Any chance Greg of a photo of you wearing the Aldens?

I'll try this evening or on the weekend when I can find some sunlight.

Cat's Paw drawing by Lucian Bernhard, 1947. Also the designer of the Bernhard Gothic font.

cat-life-04-08-1957-19.jpg

it's also really cool that lucien bernard designed the cat. other than his typeface, he's known mostly for this poster in graphic design history. it might not look like much now, but at the time it was revolutionary somebody designed something so simple:

bernhard.jpg

coleslaw -- I am contemplating putting just straight-up leather soles on my other pair of Indies.

Chicken -- Those poster images are very cool, and like you say, in their day they were simple and striking. I think of the Cat's Paw cat sort of as a poster icon - which is how some of the ads look.

those indies do look good with the cat's paws, I wanna see some more pics of Chickens indies too tho... :P

Speaking of new indy's, I wear a size 9.5 in Adidas, so I ordered a size 9 in the Aldens. When they arrived I realized they're a touch long. It's not such a big deal, because my old boots were even bigger, but my foot is actually probably between a 8.5 and a 9. Would it make sense to sell these and order the 8.5s, or should I just keep these? Would the 8.5s stretch any? I might just keep these and see if my foot grows into them in the next ten years or however long they last.

Dunkin - each time I see the GTs, especially the black cherry, I can't get over how vintage they look - a thin leather sole, unstained, and a thinner rubber sole than one gets today - all reminiscent of the days before they overbuilt everything. I like your pictures, the lighting captures just how they look. And with those waxed laces! If the GTs came in E+ they would have been one of my all-time favorite boots.

got them off zappos and with free overnight shipping it was a deal. I had initally bought a size 11 as they did not have my usual size 10 in stock. the 11s were way too big. I exchanged (free shipping back to zappos as well) them for a size 9, which are the ones pictured above and fit perfectly.

the color definitely sold me, its a darker, richer burgundy then the #8 color shell indys I have.

Alden 405 on Trubalance last-7D, roomy, but not too big.

Alden Cordovan Chukka on Barrie last- 6.5D, snug, but no pinching, a good solid fit.

Any suggestions for a pair of White's Semi-Dress?