Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Another sizing problem guys. How do you size those Alden Indys? It's not possible for me to try any Alden shoe on to compare. I wear US 9 on RW and UK 8 - 8.5 in Tricker's boots. US 10 in sneakers. Little research that I did, size down 0.5?

Those guys in the Indiana Jones -fan forums are great (but they treat their shoes like shit :D )

Another sizing problem guys. How do you size those Alden Indys? It's not possible for me to try any Alden shoe on to compare. I wear US 9 on RW and UK 8 - 8.5 in Tricker's boots. US 10 in sneakers. Little research that I did, size down 0.5?

Those guys in the Indiana Jones -fan forums are great (but they treat their shoes like shit :D )

most nike shuz (dunks, AF1) I am 10.5

Alden Indys I wear a 10

so yeah, size down a 1/2 size.

i'm a 8.5 or 9 in nike, where a 9 is when i want them loose and comfy.

i have a 8.5D indys, but should've probably gone with a 8D or E.

i have wide feet, so in the beginning 8.5D felt snug because of the width. but once they stretched out a bit after a couple of weeks, i noticed they were longer than i needed.

so yes, size down.

So is the commando sole a new(ish) invention then, or it was just reserved for people who really needed it? I've seen several old pairs of English boots with hobnails, but I guess they would be a nightmare on city streets.

I believe that the commando sole was developed around 1936-1937. My basis for this belief is due to Vitale Bramani of Vibram being credited for inventing the first rubber soles for shoes after a mountaineering accident.

http://www.vibram.com/eng/new_history/1936.htm

Oh, and of course, the first use was for mountaineering boots.

I had been wondering about the inspiration was for Lone Wolf's "Carpenter" modeL (which I have on slow order). That is, what kind of American workwear boot is it an homage to? And here I find this Thorogood Roofer. It is the first one I can remember seeing that looks like the LW model. Not that I'd wear this particular model, but every time I find something new-to-me like this, I get the feeling that there's lots more out there waiting to be discovered.

633thorogoodp_01.jpg

I have a pair of current Thorogood roofers and they are total crap. Shit construction. The old ones tho are great (as were all pre-70's Thorogood/Weinbrenners). Thorogood used to call the roofer model "the Bruiser".

Thanks McSwine - I kinda got this idea, both from the price and the fact that today, Thorogoods are sold at Sears, and Sears ain't what it used to be back in the day.

thanks to tom for his professionalism and help

i need the tan suede ones if anyone has a pair to sell ;)

and greg, i pmd u about your RWs if you still have them

thanks

===Liking the rich color of those!

Yes, you're the first to write about the 875s. More info in a PM...

Hi all, I've lurked in this thread for a while and now have finally caught up with all the posts. It's made me want to get a pair of alden lace up's or indy's and a pair of redwing 875 or 1911. And more!

My last shoe purchase was a my first pair of carpe diem. 6 holes up, in brown leather. I notice there hasn't really been any mention of this brand on here.

Other than the fact that they are outrageously priced, do you also find carpe diem to be inferior in construction or aging to the great brands mentioned on here such as Alden and Crockett and Jones?

I was planning on just wearing these as my only pair of boots, but now I am starting to feel compelled to at least get a pair of Alden's in black or #8 shell cordovan.

thanks,

J

I had been wondering about the inspiration was for Lone Wolf's "Carpenter" modeL (which I have on slow order). That is, what kind of American workwear boot is it an homage to? And here I find this Thorogood Roofer. It is the first one I can remember seeing that looks like the LW model. Not that I'd wear this particular model, but every time I find something new-to-me like this, I get the feeling that there's lots more out there waiting to be discovered.

633thorogoodp_01.jpg

got this from stock vintage in NYC 2 weeks ago- it's from a company called Min Tai in Taiwan, no idea as far as how old they are, but I'd put them at least from the 1960's:

Photo91.jpg

Cool find! Not sure how they fit, but they certainly look better than the Thorogoods. I guess Thorogoods got their idea from the form-follows function notion, giving carpenters and roofers a color that matches their environment - sawdust color. Like white painter's pants. Maybe that's why we see so much wheat color in Carhartt clothing and Timberland boots.

got this from stock vintage in NYC 2 weeks ago- it's from a company called Min Tai in Taiwan, no idea as far as how old they are, but I'd put them at least from the 1960's:

Photo91.jpg

that may be the case, but I recall reading that back in the day Red Wing used to market their white soles for men to show their wives their shoes were clean when they walked in the house. (ie free of mud and lord knows what else):

boots.jpg

gregnyc- the workboots fit well and are really comfy, they are marked 2 sizes too small for me but they fit really well. walked all over manhattan concrete in them for a week with no complaints.

that may be the case, but I recall reading that back in the day Red Wing used to market their white soles for men to show their wives their shoes were clean when they walked in the house. (ie free of mud and lord knows what else)
good for you, you can remember stuff from 2 pages back

yeah- thx for the gratuitous neg rep, datasupa. what an unfriendly place...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry to inadvertently quote you there, gregnyc. I got my info from somewhere else and was trying to contribute to the conversation.

Just got back from the shoe repair shop.

The guy pretty much refused to put Vibram soles on my shoes, as he claims I have about a year left of wear in them, which is probably true. But I really did need new heels, so hes putting cats paws on them, and toe taps along with some non slip pads, and he says they should last another year no problem. I can't argue with him, hes the best cobbler in the area, everyone else does a terrible job, he makes the shoes look like they were made with the soles on them. I'll post pictures when I get them back next saturday. The funny thing is, I've got a stack of alden heels for my shoes in the closet and I diden't bring them because I thought id be getting lug soes. -_-