Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I wonder if "wears like iron" was the catch phrase/slogan of some major shoe brand way back in the day, and thats why all the old school cobblers still use it.....

I asked my dad and grandpop yesterday. They said they don't remember any slogans....it's just something they have always remembered saying.

The terms "iron" and "toplift" occur together in some places. Iron is also a unit of measurement, 1/48 of an inch. It's used to measure the thickness of sole leather. Nick at B. Nelson showed me a "5-iron" from J.R.

Here are two links that measure toplifts in terms of irons. Notice that the Warkov has photos of Cat's Paw heels!

http://www.vibram.us/repair/repair.asp?Product=Heels

http://www.warkov.com/Warkov-Safeer%20Flyer.pdf

You=right...I should know this! The boots I wore in the snow are not with me right now, but these are some vintage Dexter boots I wear quite often.

stuff513.jpg

good to see some women's boots around here. please post more and enjoy your stay. thanks.

hi people do you wear the same boots/shoes everyday? or you guys do the alternate boots/shoes every other day? i just wanna know cause ive been wearing mine daily.. for 2 weeks now.. err dont wanna fuck them up.. greg? chicken? guys??

good to see some women's boots around here. please post more and enjoy your stay. thanks.

I agree, Welcome!! And of course -- more photos!!!!

hi people do you wear the same boots/shoes everyday? or you guys do the alternate boots/shoes every other day? i just wanna know cause ive been wearing mine daily.. for 2 weeks now.. err dont wanna fuck them up.. greg? chicken? guys??

Generally I alternate. Partly because the shoes like to breathe and dry out, partly it reduces wear because you're sharing time with other shoes. And partly because there's "so many shoes, so little time."

Shoes shouldn't be treated the same way as denim in the contests and stuff.

There's an exception to this - and that's when I want to break a shoe in, as I have been doing with my other (non-Superleather) pair of Indies. At first they were too tight around the ankle, and now after 2 weeks of 5 times a week, they feel lots more comfortable. Then they will go back into rotation.

cool got it greg ill do the same after like a week or two of breaking them in ill put them in rotation.. i do put those silica gel packs inside of them after i take them off at night..i dont use trees they dont need it theyr work boots anyways

I just stopped by the Alden store. They said that in about 4 months they will start carrying a black Indy boot. Same as the current standard #405: waxhide leather, cotton lining, white stitching, neoprene sole - but black instead of brick-red.

…But I might just have to get a pair if they make it right.

Which configuration would that be? I remember over a year ago, Miz told me he wasn't too interested in Indy boots because too many people had them. At that time, I didn't know anyone else who had them other than airfrog (who inspired me to try a pair) - but then I was a SuFu noob at the time too!

^^ wow, and black indys with leather soles like greg's will also be out of this world. :cool:

There is one issue that comes up for me in that - if I polish these boots, I have to be really careful to not darken the stitching and the welt. That's just my take on it since these focal points of the boot aer what make it look vintage. But if I take this to a regular shoe-shine place and don't tell them anything, then after a few trips, the boots would come out a monotonic brown. I noticed that this will happen over time even with a light Kiwi tan. So this weekend I had to remove polish from the welt and stitches, and they look more distinguished that way. I'll proceed with neutral polish for a while now.

You might wonder, why all the fuss? Vintage looks and vanity! Almost every time I wear them, I get compliments on them. Can't say that about any other shoe I've ever worn!

^^It's got to be because of the sudden popularity of the Indy's. I hope they don't start making it in 300 colors and an option of a low top version.

…But I might just have to get a pair if they make it right.

I can't wait for the Brazil Indies Colorway!!

I just stopped by the Alden store. They said that in about 4 months they will start carrying a black Indy boot. Same as the current standard #405: waxhide leather, cotton lining, white stitching, neoprene sole - but black instead of brick-red.

I emailed Tom at Leather Soul a few months asking if this could possibly be a custom option but he told me that a one off Alden custom wasn't possible. Looks like my query has been answered.

I would also like to question this sudden popularity of Indys. I've never seen anyone else in Hawaii wearing a pair and I think that it seems so popular because the same few people always reply to this thread and that same group owns Indys.

Ok here are some pictures. Ordered the 6" black, with the Vibram #430 sole in size 10D. The boots also came with kiltys, a boot care manual, sample bee oil, and a pair of black laces which I requested. I've got them on right now and already they're killing my ankles. I can tell this will be a love/hate break-in process. Please excuse my lame photography "skills"...I got spooked by the shoes on a table/bad luck superstition so I created this elaborate studio with a wrinkled white sheet over an ottoman.

2360304762_77eb23055a_m.jpg

2359473673_4b52a3a88f_m.jpg

2360307098_4bf381afc4_m.jpg

2360305074_11f8ef7e0c_m.jpg

Ok here are some pictures. Ordered the 6" black, with the Vibram #430 sole in size 10D. The boots also came with kiltys, a boot care manual, sample bee oil, and a pair of black laces which I requested. I've got them on right now and already they're killing my ankles. I can tell this will be a love/hate break-in process. Please excuse my lame photography "skills"...I got spooked by the shoes on a table/bad luck superstition so I created this elaborate studio with a wrinkled white sheet over an ottoman.

...THOSE are boots... great pick-up...

Which configuration would that be?

Greg, I think I would want it all black (upper, leather sole, eyelets) with black leather laces with only the top stitching and welt stitching white. That would be amazing.

I've got them on right now and already they're killing my ankles. I can tell this will be a love/hate break-in process.

Try walking around the house with them. I broke my jobmasters in by just walking around the neighborhood and then walking home when I couldn't take it anymore. Also wearing it in the rain helps, as well and oiling the leather. Also add an extra insole. They are so comfortable now after a couple months of wear, so its worth it to give it a shot!

yeah thats what i did with my loggers boots... i oiled it up and used it it soften up the leather a bit...makes it more comfy to break in.. i put oil specially on the upper heel part where it hurts the most initially..

I agree, Welcome!! And of course -- more photos!!!!

Thanks Chicken & Greg.

2360307098_4bf381afc4_m.jpg

2360305074_11f8ef7e0c_m.jpg

^ drool.

I have 4 pairs of boots that I alternate, plus other shoes. All my boots get a beating because they're mainly worn on pavement for at least a couple miles a day. That's my contribution to the aforementioned topic of alternating shoes.

White's Semi Dress in Black leather, copper eyelets all the way up, 8 1/2 D

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

I ordered a pair of White's boots through Bill from Stronghold around the 18th of February and my girlfriend brought them from California when she came here this past Thursday. These aren't the White's that I special ordered. The ones I ordered were shipped to Stronghold in brown, not the black that I requested. I wanted black with copper eyelets and speed hooks. After seeing the White's that Bill posted, which Stronghold is now carrying, I realized I was just given a pair of the ones they had in store. This is fine by me because I didn't want to wait another month before the boots that I wanted came in. I wanted black boots since I already own brown Indy's so I wasn't going to be extra picky about not having the speed hooks.

I don't want this to sound like I'm discrediting Bill's service, just make sure the boot you want is written down to your exact specifications. I'm happy with the boot that they gave me so in the long run everything is kosher.

I applied a layer of Pecard's leather dressing on them and set the boots in the sun for the afternoon. We'll see how they turn out in a couple months.

I emailed Tom at Leather Soul a few months asking if this could possibly be a custom option but he told me that a one off Alden custom wasn't possible. Looks like my query has been answered.

Apparently a few years ago, one offs were possible. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case as it doesn't make economic sense for Alden to do it. Alden does custom orders for some of their retailers, but the minimum order I believe is 12 pairs now. I assume that the NYC store decided that an Indy in black would be a nice alternative for those that didn't like the current color.

I don't know if you chaps are familiar with this website http://www.cherryjuice.cc/

They have a very nice inventory of different White's boots. I like the look of the paratrooper and bounty hunter. If you click more, it links you to some more pictures from other sites.

I guess these boots are mostly variations on the smokejumper, but I thought I'd share.

thats whites distributor in taiwan.. the owner calvin is a great guy! but id rather get my custom whites with bill.. cause cherryjuice charges like 180 dollars more for the same exact custom smoke j's i had both of them quote for me..my 2 cents but nonetheless they have really nice options! and custom special in store only models!

i knwo im just giving folks here a heads up on these.. basically theyll have whites ( usa) do the boots and shipped back to them thats why the added cost and the shipping cost( 2 way)

That makes it a pretty damn expensive proposition!

I'm starting to like the look of smokejumpers more and more. I think with the vibram 705 sole they don't look too clunky and have a good shape. Did you get yours yet?

specifically I like these a LOT!

b_hunter_image1.jpg

here's some pictures of the White's factory on a Japanese site http://www.wdgsof.com/whitefactory.htm