Band shirts?

Guest Airjamie

I've always been agin' the band shirt - why advertise that you are cool or in the know? I guess I'm suspicious of pop music anyway, and think it's a fairly silly way to divide the cool from the uncool (I am addicted to pop music, I just don't find it as worthy of high praise as fiction or art, but whatever, I digress).

But then I was at a show a few years ago and got this one - it's so silly!

mastorr2.jpg

Whenever i need to do laundry i usually wear my The Smiths shirt and some basketball shorts to school.

I'm usually not one to buy band t-shirts, but I liked this one

CIMG1539.jpg

but more for the photograph than the band, really. They are a good band though, put on a great show.

Though I still wonder how a small Texan band was able to afford the rights for Hedi's photographs. I don't think it's blackmarket since they sell this online and another photo is used on one of their ep's, so the band must have permission to use them.

Then again considering they are an "indie" band, Hedi probably just traded the rights for a couple of handjobs or something.

I used to have a bunch but most of them were bands i liked 4 years ago that i don't listen to as much. I gave away my The Mars Volta shirt(the shirt right after tremulant ep came out), Cursive, Of Montreal(i think this girl borrowed it forever), and some other bands. The only one i still have is a radiohead shirt that i rarely wear and a Smiths shirt that's a bit too big for me. I need more, but generally don't like wearing my personality on my sleeves(pun?)

i have a huge love affair with old school hardcore t shirts but unfortunately since i got into this whole streetwear/fashionista/supergay/ubercoolguy thing i havent been wearing as many band tees. I still do have alot though and bust em out as often as i can.

here's my favorite, an old Project X/Schism tee

OK.jpg

hahaha i would hardly call conflict and aus rotten fashion punks, but it is good to at least see a couple people with punk roots on here

i own toooons of band shirts, i went buckwild on them back in the day, i will try and post pics of the good ones later tonight

hahaha i would hardly call conflict and aus rotten fashion punks, but it is good to at least see a couple people with punk roots on here

i own toooons of band shirts, i went buckwild on them back in the day, i will try and post pics of the good ones later tonight

aus rotten? c'mon, fashion punx to the MAXXX! the man owns 3!! casualties shirts

• 9 months later...

'Copped' an Envy shirt at the show the other day, one of the last extra smalls they had.

What's everyone's favourite brand to print on?

I have Gildan tees with a passion to the point that I get angry when good bands print on them... the cotton is rough as hell and the sizing is really fucked up and huge. On the flipside Fruit of the Loom 'Best' polycotton blends are lovely, really snug fit and they tend to come in seriously vivid colours.

Haven't noticed too many bands using AA, Underoath and Ed Gein spring to mind but I guess the price puts them off.

• 2 months later...

Bump...on a related note...since the topic of kids (fans) who wear a band's shirt to said band's show is already beeeeen knowndeded. What do you think about bands who constantly wear their own shirts to perform in? I think for bands with simple "able to be iconic" logos (i.e. the Misfits) could pull it off...but then again...i dunno.

I have no idea what I"m getting at here...just crossed my mind...since there's a thin line between the self-promotion that is tasteful and that which is careless and self-parody.

this is more of an issue in Metal than other genre's isn't it.

I'm indifferent if the Bass player of a band does it, but it seems wrong when other members do.

It's a totally irrational bias but thats what I think.

Hahaha...only the bassist?

Honestly, I was thinking more along the lines of punk bands (those that are a bit more organized/developed/together)...but yeah I can see this applying to metal too.

I have a whole box somewhere and almost never wear them

old ones:

Burzum

Darkthrone

Mayhem

Satyricon

Immortal

Death in June

Der Blutharsch

Enslaved

Emperor

even older ones:

GBH

Oi Polloi

Crass

Subhumans

Conflict

The Business

Jeez you love your Black Metal, huh?

• 1 year later...

this thread needs more pictures

where da holy grail shirts at?

not really grail status, but i'd really like this old nuclear assault shirt:

img5562n.jpg

img5563j.jpg

i also HATE reprint shirts... where da OG prints at? why aren't shirts printed like they used to? plastisol ink prints don't wear the same way.... it's like wearing melted gum on your shirt..

i am also desperately searching for an og DEATHSIDE shirt....

i have a huge love affair with old school hardcore t shirts but unfortunately since i got into this whole streetwear/fashionista/supergay/ubercoolguy thing i havent been wearing as many band tees. I still do have alot though and bust em out as often as i can.

here's my favorite, an old Project X/Schism tee

OK.jpg

best fucking tee... i need a schism shirt baddddddddd