neckface

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

I personally think neckface's skills aren't all that craazy, but I think the reason people are so into him, is

one: It's a new style (even though his drawings are similar to that of a middle school punk kids drawings)

two: he is so young (19)

and three: there seems to be somekind of mystery about him that makes people curious. I heard no body even knows his real name, or what he looks like.. Example, he is one of the artists on the RVCA Artist Network program, and he also was in the ugly loosers art show (beautiful loosers sister show) at RVCA, when RVCA writes the checks to him, they just write neckface because they don't know his real name (rumor is his name is alex something). Plus when ever he goes in, He is said to wear a mask so no one can see his face.

Idno, thats some wierd shit.

People just like him because its something new... plus his big boost was the supreme t-shirt designs... maybe the appeal is the raw sketches like that of a caveman drawing, or a patient in a mental institution?

http://www.designwrk.com/

yeah i think he goes to school of visual arts right? I'm sure some of his friends know his real name but probably keeps that shit DL with his other mates.. kaws publishing shit was probably from doing the supreme shit, as for getting the shit with supreme in the first place?? you got me, maybe its becasue they saw enough of his craapy drawings around the city..

http://www.designwrk.com/

yo i thought he was from SF?

the mask is kinda hype, like ghost back in the day. no one knew what tony looked like, he should've kept it raw like that.

not really feeling el neckface, but i think it is hype as hell that he had a book signing, built a little room for himself within the gallery and if you wanted your shit signed you had to slide it through a little slit, he singed it and popped it back out to you.

i will probably get the krooked boards he does, but i plan on skating them.

kaws also has a board with them. not really sure why he chose to publish neckface's book.

he gets up like crazy though, you've gotta give him that. i know a lot of the old school heads hate his ass.

why is this in superlists?

fuck around and get your waffle split

maybe because his name has become relatively prominent in street/graff culture? i don't know, i've been stoked on his work - it's really clever for public art... and his works on paper also good... he obviously knows what he's doing... and wouldn't doubt he goes to SVA - they're NF tags all over that neighborhood..

i'm surprised he hasn't been pinched by the cops though.

my girl got me the NF book.. very nice.

dig.

He doesn't go to SVA anymore and he's been pinched by the cops, actually just very recently yet again out west.

Also the whole slide the book in he room thing never happened at his book signing, or if it did it only lasted 2 minutes. He walked around with his face covered talking to people and signing books. Kaws put out his book because he does dope work and took the kid under his wing in a way. I notice how everyone's main critique is how simplistrc or poorly drawn his work is (This usually coming from people who think Sam Flores and NYC Lace are artistic genius'). I think his style is tight and he does what he does better than anyone else. Most people look at his shit and don't realize how difficult it is to make what they label "simplistic" and have it look so natural. I think others are just stubborn and/or aging graf artists who can't cope with the notion that shit changes, new styles emerge, and they're becoming irrelevant.

Edited by My Pal the Crook on Feb 8, 2005 at 10:19 PM

the kid is from Modesto, California (or somewhere near there).

He got popped last week in Costa Mesa. Him and Shep were doing a billboard, Shep-deezy gets done fast and goes to get the car. When he comes back around the cops already have Neck oner. RVCA bails him out. The beat goes on. Neckface is just lucky police departments don't communicate with eachother. Imagine if OC police called up NYPD or SFPD or Scotland Yard and were like, "you ever heard of a kid named Neck Face?"

the kid is on a terror, like him or not his is most up in the world right now. He's all world at 19, thats the youngest yet to be all world.

Let's straighten some shit out. neckface is from SF, tight with Shep and Kaws, but he's 21 years old, not 19. He's already quit artschool and is busy preparing his upcoming shows in Europe. He's the new generation of street/graphics artists like Eric Elms/adorn.

It's pretty wierd that he got caught and Shep didn't. Shep's fast but usually neck is done before him. Neck's mom even drives him around sometimes.

He was on the front page of the SF Guardian last week. The weeks focus was on how graffiti art has one foot in the streets and one in the gallery. Modesto huh? The article writer censored what BART station he was getting on at but hinted it was an unlikely place for a underground writer to be getting on at.

i've seen his shit in NYC and just assumed he was from manhattan because of it. its pretty sick that this dude is canvassing the globe literally....he's becoming a part of every city he visits......simply because of my personal ass-umption. everyone who looks at his designs wonders what it is....but the average person wouldnt imagine that it was a guy traveling all around leaving a lil tag or picture everywhere.....so they assume its someone local./....kind of a cool idea..that this dude is making multiple cities his canvas etc...best of luck to neckface whoever he is....wish i could get paid (in at least plane tickets and lodging) to travel around and leave a bit of myself around the world....

Quote: He doesn't go to art school in NY, He isnt from SF, and he isnt 21.

I can't speak for everyone but I like his work because their is a feeling of honesty in it. It doesn't seem contrived and I think that comes through in the pieces. I don't think there should have to be a word for word explaination why anyones likes anybody's. It a feeling you get from looking at it that makes you like it. Not everything is so black and white. As for the streets, you can call him whatever you want (street artist, graffiti bomber etc. etc) but the fact is he probably has more spots running in more cities than 90% running their mouth off about him. That included people that haven't done anything new in a few years

livin' la por vida, you're not really saying anything that hasn't been said here before, but you're making it sound like you are.

neck is a good buddy of mine and believe me, he's 21.

next.

• 2 weeks later...

poor vida, cmon' are you serioius? if you were a "good friend" you'd at least know where dude was from. you're out of control with this. back in the days of psycho city (I doubt you even know what Psycho City was...) all your paint would be gone and you wouldnt dare step back in the yard. Its easy to say you know somebody over the internet... Cuz nobody knows who you are!!!

Alright, lets clarify something. Being from somewhere and living a year or two there are two different things. You don't claim sucka free unless the city claims you. And last time I checked around nobody in this city was claiming Neckface. And nor has he ever claimed S.F. so everybodys cool with the situation. don't get it twisted.

And yo, I put my name out there. Anybody in the game can figure out who I am. Then see if you wah cum tes.

Alright, lets clarify something. Being from somewhere and living a year or two there are two different things. You don't claim sucka free unless the city claims you. And last time I checked around nobody in this city was claiming Neckface. And nor has he ever claimed S.F. so everybodys cool with the situation. don't get it twisted.

And yo, I put my name out there. Anybody in the game can figure out who I am. Then see if you wah cum tes.

• 1 month later...
Quote: i heard they never have eaten begal bites,thats a cryin shame

ok. i gotta say it. SHOWCASE HOEDOWN, you've mentioned "begal bites" in a ton of other posts. If you love these damn things so much, why can you spell the fucking thing? it's "bagel bites", right, or am i thinking of something totally different? Shit man, don't you have to read the box when you're buying them or does dontcaretoomuchforcraps's Mom bring them over to you when she shaves your back?

talking like i know everything about everything, making new subjects every 5 minutes, don't care too much for don't care too much for crap's crap.