Trail running shoes for super rough terrain?

ac_slater

I have about 30 acres of deserted forest behind my house. There are a few trails running through it but they haven't been touched in over a decade by anyone but me. Extremely technical. Rocks and junk everywhere. Elevation changes all over the place. I wouldn't even call it a trail, more like wooded area without trees.

Anyways, it's a really fun run. I was able to negotiate it once with some triathlon shoes that had decent grip but I can tell I'm going to need some serious trail shoes if I'm gonna run this regularly.

Anything in particular you guys recommend?

• 4 weeks later...

i just read the Runners World guide to Minimalist Running and they anecdotally mentioned some vaunted marathon runner who trained by running in the woods in combat boots; his nickname was Bootsy or Bootsie. Idea was to strengthen his legs so that when he laced up his running shoes at the race, his feet would feel light as a feather.

I am thinking of picking up the Nike Free TR but I have no experience with them. I expect you'd want something more built up for the terrain you are describing. I will be following this topic with interest. I've just started trail running; I wear Nike Footscapes on trails instead of my usual Free Run 2 because they are a bit more burly.

Best option would be hooves, or hoofs, depending. Hooves bite into the terrain more readily but hoofs have a certain cachet.

i've been wearing the frees for daily running, but for really burly trails i use the montrail leona divide. i stocked up on them back when. once the last pair goes i'll have to find something else. i'm also tempted to try the free tr, but i don't think they'd do well in really rough stuff.

i just read the Runners World guide to Minimalist Running and they anecdotally mentioned some vaunted marathon runner who trained by running in the woods in combat boots; his nickname was Bootsy or Bootsie. Idea was to strengthen his legs so that when he laced up his running shoes at the race, his feet would feel light as a feather.

This is a tried and true technique for almost all racing 'train heavy, race light' I have used it with bicycles, riding a steel bike during the week and carbon fiber on the weekends.

Trail running however, isn't something I have much knowledge of. I have been starting to contemplate running to try and up my cardio quota and lose some inches, trail running is much more appealing to me than pounding around on concrete. I will keep an eye on this thread to see what shoes to look at.