Fabric Cost of Selvage vs. Non

Yet Fung

That's an interesting question. It's difficult to say fabric A is the same quality as fabric B. But from experience a decent quality selvedge is still twice the cost of its decent quality non-selvedge counterpart. Maybe 80% more if purchasing large quantities.

From my recent visit to one of the prominent mills (out of India): two fabrics from their premium line (comparable quality) indicate that the selvedge piece good is at least 50% more expensive than the non-selvedge good.

So my humble opinion is that selvedge is anywhere from 50% - 100% more expensive than non-selvedge of comparable quality, broadly speaking. Other factors like marketing and market demand/supply can also affect those numbers. At the same time, keep in mind that non-selvedge can cost more than selvedge due to construction characteristics.

But something important is that selvedge goods are half or less the cuttable width of non-selvedge goods. That means you will need to buy 2x+ the fabric if using selvedge.

but isn't there broad width selvedge denim out on the market? i seem to recall something of that sort posted in another thread...

broad width selvage doesn't make sense. you would have too much non-selvage denim left-over. unless you are also making selvage jackets, because they require less selvage areas.