SC 47's, Now W/O Pocket Stitching

Edge_Of_Denim

At History Preservation, the backside pic of the '47's now show them without the pocket stitching. The text reads "For obvious reasons the "Levi†name on buttons and labels cannot be duplicated, nor can the arcuate pocket stitching, which is a Levi brand protected trademark." Levi's legal muscle at work. And so it goes.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hang on, so now SC 47s come without the arcuate? i can feel my hopes rising--the arcuate's probably the only thing that puts me off buying a pair.

re: levi's legal muscle--i've said over and over again that from a denimhead's point of view, i find it ridiculous. of course legally they have all the right to do so.

i can see both sides of the legal argument, but personally, i like them with so am sitting in SC's camp on this...

Cue, to me you sound like you're seated in the middle of a sugarcane field.

....sorry. haha. so are they really taking off the arcuate?

Good. I'm not a fan of arcuates. Plain pockets don't bother me, but since Sugercanes are better in quality then the Levis, I would like to see their own backpocket design.

I would also like to see some kind of generic label like "compare to ingredients in Levis 1947s".

just because its legal, don't make it right------------Ramona Africa

The bombing of west philadelphia... I saw that shit. Ridiculous. Burned down an entire block... how's that for brotherly love.

On the other hand maybe they destitched for the picture, but the jeans still come with the arcuate. In any case I am still selling my SC47s that are brand new and still have the arcuate. maybe my stock is going up.

guys, if you don't like the arcuate, on the sc47s, it's halfway off anyways. probably the easiest back pocket stitching ever to remove.

probably one of the easiest to recreate too, you don't even have to do any backstitching or knot tying, just a running stitch. it would take at most 10 minutes for both pockets.

the one thing that would suck is if they take off the red tab. that would be harder to recreate.

the one thing that would suck is if they take off the red tab. that would be harder to recreate.

Good point. You gotta figure the Levi shysters considered that as well. Why would they give the label a pass, if they have?

Yes, the arcuate stitching still appears on the 47 hardwashed style, but the text is the same amended text for the standard 47's. No arcuate stitching.

the tab on my canes is green-----isn't that the case with all of the canes, or just the hawaiis?

anyway, green is safe.

i think it's a hawaii thing.

we could get tabs made for about 50 cents each, minimum order of 500.

but, i think we should order these when we finally decide to make superfuture denim.

So you don't think an artist, photographer or a company has the right to protect their work? Interesting..

consider it a generational thing: we are the can't stop/won't stop gen

i don't expect you to agree, but the paradigm shift is happening and it is only a matter of waiting for the old ways to die out

Aha, so this could mean that Blue In Green in NYC will strart carrying 47s, now that SugarCane doesn't have to worry about arcuate lawsuit.

Was at Blue In Green ten days ago and they already said the 47s are coming in. I think w/o the arcuate too.

If I'm making $1500 handbags, say, and you're creating $40 knockoffs, what do I care if some fool from Staten Island is buying your vastly, demonstrably inferior product? It's not affecting my core market. But every cheap piece of shit handbag you're selling is still advertising me. Or, like those companies that manufacture copies of gowns worn to shit spectacles like the Academy Awards for women who just need to live the dream. So? Anyone who knows knows that gown isn't a Balenciaga.

I have a much larger argument with the commonly accepted practice which says an artist must hand over the copyright in his work.

if they make the red tab a different shade of red i wonder if they could get around levis lawers? or is the tab placement itself trademarked?

i think this is why the euro-denimes have blue tags. i think levi's has every right to try to protect their identity. but i also love the fact that the japanese denim-makers are always trying to get around the law, like by adding a little more stitching to the arcuate like fullcount.

consider it a generational thing: we are the can't stop/won't stop gen

i don't expect you to agree, but the paradigm shift is happening and it is only a matter of waiting for the old ways to die out

Well I hope that there are others that don't share this "all about what I want is all that counts" mentality cause I'm a photographer and my wifes a graphic designer and I would hate to think everyone thinks they have the right to things that we've created.