Weight Problems

last july i started at this internship that had me sitting at a desk almost every day. that saw my first serious weight swing since i quit swimming coming out of high school and going to college.

i got things back under control avoiding all fast food, cutting out soft drinks, watching what i ate and staying active as much as possible (i ride 15-20 miles a day... not a whole lot, but it works). bottom line was i had to counterbalance sitting at that desk.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good suggestions here. A fun and apparently effective thing to try is setting a goal and rewarding yourself in some way (perhaps new jeans?) when you reach it. It takes some discipline, but that builds character. AND it's a healthy way to rationalize an extravagant purchase you would probably make anyway.

about 3 years ago i gained 30 lbs in one year because i spent a whole summer in bedrest (appendicitis surgery gone badddddd)....although i got maybe 2 or 3 inches taller ive added some pounds too. i was 6'0 and 165-169 lbs and now i'm 6'2 near 6'3 and 204 lbs ish....i play basketball and work out (sort of infrequently) and i have a problem with cookies and ice cream. But i've started running and i'm trying to devise a good diet plan. the 5-6 meal thing sounds ideal but i don't know if i have the knowledge to come up with something like that which will suit me....i want to go down to the 170's

water, turkey,whole wheat, crystal light, cliff bars (as a meal)....those are good diet foods and drinks

being a bachelor, it's kinda hard to stay off from fastfood

i don't really feel like cooking a lot

my only healthy option seems like whole foods

im supprised my the sincerity of all the messages here, its nice to see

really the easiest way is to just stop eating unhealthy food altogather, dont even consider it. at some point it will just become second nature, and when you think "what to eat?" you wont even consider fast food, etc, you mind will just skip over it.

drinking lots of water keeps your body from retaining water, that way you dont have to carry around your water weight

try not to think about it too much though, just eat something sensiable when you are hungry

i weighed 300 abot 4 1/2 years ago (* +_+)

really the easiest way is to just stop eating unhealthy food altogather, dont even consider it. at some point it will just become second nature, and when you think "what to eat?" you wont even consider fast food, etc, you mind will just skip over it

Truer words were never spoken. I stopped eating fast foods and sodas and now the thought of ingesting them digusts me a bit. However, if I'm in a venue where that's all that's available, I'll bite (I never had weight problems, always been kinda lean). However if cutting off all bad foods is too drastic (I'm not really sure about what you eat anyway), start small like having a burger with no cheese. I guess it really comes down to determination and will - good luck.

eat only michelina's budget gourmet for lunch and dinner. none of them are above 600 calories, and they cost a dollar each. 14 bucks a week for all your lunches and dinners. wheaties for breakfast i guess. don't cheat more than once a week. i lost about 30 pounds this way, and saved a ton of money.

Truer words were never spoken. I stopped eating fast foods and sodas and now the thought of ingesting them digusts me a bit. However, if I'm in a venue where that's all that's available, I'll bite (I never had weight problems, always been kinda lean). However if cutting off all bad foods is too drastic (I'm not really sure about what you eat anyway), start small like having a burger with no cheese. I guess it really comes down to determination and will - good luck.

yeah i stopped drinking soda 5 years ago.never looked back since.. there should be a warning label on those like cigarettes.

I've heard eating spicy foods can make you feel more full than you really are... that might stand true if one looks at all of the nations and their populations out there with the spicier diets.

being an absolutist about cutting out junk food is the only way. giving yourself leeway to indulge once or twice a week is a slippery slope.

do cardio for 20 mins, 4-5 times a week. push-ups and crunches. your 5-10 fruits and veg, and drink your 8 x 8oz glasses of water a day. count your cals and you'll be dropping 3-4 lbs a week.

being an absolutist about cutting out junk food is the only way. giving yourself leeway to indulge once or twice a week is a slippery slope.

do cardio for 20 mins, 4-5 times a week. push-ups and crunches. your 5-10 fruits and veg, and drink your 8 x 8oz glasses of water a day. count your cals and you'll be dropping 3-4 lbs a week.

thats a good plan right there. i do about 30min cardio. running forwards and backwards.

running backwards works the abs and the butt =)

Here's my 2 cents...figure out how many calories your body utilizes for your body and activity type then cut it about 500 cals a day. Eat 5-6 times a day with veggies if possible. Increase your protein intake to at least 1 gram per body weight, eat low glycemic carbs (brown rice, wheat bread, etc), and good fats (olive oil, almonds, etc)..Protein needs to be the majority of your diet..AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER...now get started on a workout plan with a combination of weight training and cardio. Don't just do cardio...you need muscle to keep the fat off..The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism. You can eat like shit for 1 meal per week as a reward for all your hard work and it signals your body that its not in starvation mode...so its ok..as long as you stick with your program..1-3 pounds weight loss is healthy..anything more is not good for you..DOnt be a yo-yo dieter. Good luck homie!

I strongly agree with giving yourself a 1x a week off-meal. Your body will plateu at some point if you do the strict healthy diet 7 days a week and will cease to burn more calories. The off-meal will spike your fast metabolism again, if not even more efficiently. It's similar to a rest day when you are strength training 3x a week. This is good for me since I prepare my own food most of the time, then when I go out with my friends and we eat at a semi-unhealthy restaurant, I can order something for the taste and not be conscious. If you do feel guilty from that 1 meal binging, there's always exercise the next day.

I didnt read all the replies through yet so I might be repeating a lot what has been said, but here goes anyways. I gained some weight a few years back but managed to lose it after a while. the obvious advice is of course good, eat less and excersise. but here are some other tips from my experience, this is just random advice for normal life, if you want to lose weight more intensively you might wanna try a real diet of some sort.

- try to maintain some kind of a timetable and regularity with eating, eat a certain amount of meals per day and at certain times. doesnt have to be up to minute each day but some sort of regularity is good.

- figure out whats your most important meal and eat lighter on other meals. this differs depending on people, I seem to need more food in the evening (I'm not that hungry earlier), so I usually dont eat breakfast and very lightly at lunch time. for lunch I can eat a yoghurt and a sandwich, that plus dinner and maybe another sandwich in the evening is quite light already.

- snacking is deceitful, you can eat a lot of extra during a day without noticing. dont buy candy, cookies, sodas or stuff like that. it may sound childish but buy cucumber, carrots and stuff like that. especially if you feel like you have a problem with snacking. drink sparkling water sometimes, it can fill your stomach a bit better sometimes.

- diet soda in my opinion is ok, I myself couldnt stop drinking everything but water so I drink diet coke a lot, I dont see a problem with that.

- you dont have to take insane jogs every day, it will just burn you out. walk more, go jogging a few times a week, excersise in other ways. but whatever you do make a timetable/plan you can make yourself stick to. dont over-do it, then you'll just start skipping stuff.

- just cut fast food. if you need to eat fastfood for lunch etc. switch to sandwiches or salads.

- in addition to these you of course need to look at what you eat. its no use eating lightly at lunch if you eat 2 pizzas for dinner.

good luck!

Here's my 2 cents...figure out how many calories your body utilizes for your body and activity type then cut it about 500 cals a day. Eat 5-6 times a day with veggies if possible. Increase your protein intake to at least 1 gram per body weight, eat low glycemic carbs (brown rice, wheat bread, etc), and good fats (olive oil, almonds, etc)..Protein needs to be the majority of your diet..AND DRINK PLENTY OF WATER...now get started on a workout plan with a combination of weight training and cardio. Don't just do cardio...you need muscle to keep the fat off..The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism. You can eat like shit for 1 meal per week as a reward for all your hard work and it signals your body that its not in starvation mode...so its ok..as long as you stick with your program..1-3 pounds weight loss is healthy..anything more is not good for you..DOnt be a yo-yo dieter. Good luck homie![/quote

well put..

oh also, i dont eat during breakfast hour like before 9, i eat at around 10:30 like a brunch and im full enough to carry me pass lunch. Then i eat meal around 5 or 6 for dinner. I also dont to eat dinner to close to bedtime, like anytime before 8 is good..