cycling in jeans and patching up holes

prufrock

anyone have any good ideas how to reinforce my jeans for cycling. i was just thinking of putting in a patch of denim right at the seat before it rips. ive only been cycling heavy in my jeans for about 2 weeks now and im already seeing good wear and tear on my jeans, im pretty certain they will rip sometime in the future. you guys think i should make some preemptive patching or just wait till they rip?

i might not even need to patch, i plan on rotating my lvc 1947 after the next wash since im not a big fan of high contrast, but man its growing on me. =) when i do rotate these bad boys out, my NS are going to be the cycling jean. i hope they last, the denim seems a bit more tougher than LVCs. but then again, they feel tougher since they are still new and havent been washed yet. we'll see.

i'm thinking of using ryu's method of washing on these apcs, i might have to. we'll see how smelly they get. =) i'll see how much wear i can get in one month of wearing the apcs, i doubt though i can get as much as ryu's. the indio seems to be harder to wear out when they are nice and fresh from the factory. i think the key to ryu's method is the pre-soak, which most APC wearers (like myself) then to skip since the like the stiffness. While we have to wear our APCs much longer, we get sick ass honeycombs.

-later days.

just don't ride your bike in jeans. seriously. change your clothes before getting on your super hipster steel retro fixed gear. swamp ass sucks. your jeans already smell. i know it makes you look hardcore yardy, but take off your stank ass jeans to ride, unless it is not an option.

yeh it's a well known fact that the old cowboys changed jeans before riding their horses

haha, i change into my lvc to ride my bike in. my apcs are my regular jeans. the 47s are just to ride my bike in. it was either jeans or bike shorts. since im trying to cut some body fat jeans were the choice, but my jeans are going to smell (or i should says they smell now) . hahaha. no wonder ryu has to wash every month! word up.

-later days.

just don't ride your bike in jeans. seriously. change your clothes before getting on your super hipster steel retro fixed gear. swamp ass sucks. your jeans already smell. i know it makes you look hardcore yardy, but take off your stank ass jeans to ride, unless it is not an option.

actually its a retro aluminum 10-speed. old school shift levers! hahaha. =)

and i just turn my jeans inside out and let them air out after a good ride. it helps, a little. lol.

I think my sarcasm meter is broken, if not, then i really dont understand why you would even read this forum.

anyone have any good ideas how to reinforce my jeans for cycling. i was just thinking of putting in a patch of denim right at the seat before it rips.

preemptive patching seems a good idea. you can always take it off later, and there will be less damage in the crotch, which is the area more vulnerable to rips. if you have it, use the fabric that was left from hemming. preferably, go to a tailor and have it sewn, so it doesn't look so bad.

Pru, you have the same jeans I do and I ride a lot. It REALLY does wear in the jeans drastically compared to regular day to day activity.

I ride in the 47s and New Standards(not at the same time), and it seems like the 47s are weakening in the crotchal region faster than my APCs. The seam on the inside of the legs are getting frayed also.

Reading back I haven't offered anything helpful. I guess I would say just continue doing what you're doing and then patch them if they rip. It will still look fine.

how he hell do i imbed pictures into my post? there is not insert picture button in the post window? i feel stupid.

-later days.

Post using the "Quick Reply" button, or insert the picture between this (img)picture(/img) using [ ] instead of ( )

As someone who rides daily I totally agree with headtowall that the wear in the ass of ones' jeans will become extremely accelaerated from riding. If I hold my jeans up to the light I can kind of "see through" the ass as a result of all the friction from peddaling. The patch might work, but your jeans will still stink like a motherfucker (this also depends on weather, distance you ride, and personal hygene, etc). I use my bike for everything and I live in HI so I SWEAT like crazy, I come home everyday and Im dripping. Personally, I just avoid wearing my more coveted jeans for biking, but this also means that I cant wear them as much as I like. If I do wear them when I ride I will stand up and peddle alot more than if Im wearing my other jeans to aviod the friction that results from peddaling. Another thing to consider is the material of your seat; some seats are more abrasive than others, just a thought.

N.

the denim in NS seem to be thicker than 47s. man i hate riding standing up. for the first 2 weeks i had my bike i was missing a seat so i had to ride standing up. haha a 3 mile journey standing up to buy a seat clamp is quite tiring.

its going to be weird cycling in new standards. stiff ass jeans man. lol. i hope you folks who cycle in your jeans wash your jeans once a month or atleast once every two months. smelly jeans. =P

-later days.

ps: headtowall - you have any pictures of your jeans? i would love to see how your 47s look like.

I was planning on biking in my new APC NS's to try breaking them in. Will biking a mile or two every day in the jeans break them in faster, or just ruin them?

I mean, I'll be wearing these all the time so I don't want to them to become either so torn or so smelly so as to not be wearable. In fact, I'd rather like to keep them in at least 'decent' condition overall.

^Saying that biking will break them in faster seems a little misleading to me because it breaks them in with a huge disparity in the wear to the different parts of the jeans. As I mentioned the ass takes the brunt and everything is is relatively normal. Also, many ppl roll their pant leg or use a strap on the right leg which could cause weird wear marks if done consistently with raw denim. Im not saying dont wear your jeans and ride a bike, just be fore warned.

N.

riding does make sum funny marks on jeans, white bits on the inside of the legs cos of rubbing on the cranks and white patches on the inside if the back pockets cos of saddle rubs, mountain biking really messes them up but bmxing isnt to bad ( probly cos you spend less time on the bike and stand up more ). Jeans reflect whatever you do though, I sit down to play guitar and even that makes marks.....

^Saying that biking will break them in faster seems a little misleading to me because it breaks them in with a huge disparity in the wear to the different parts of the jeans. As I mentioned the ass takes the brunt and everything is is relatively normal. Also, many ppl roll their pant leg or use a strap on the right leg which could cause weird wear marks if done consistently with raw denim. Im not saying dont wear your jeans and ride a bike, just be fore warned.

N.

i would say that whiskers start to form faster because when you pedal because on the up motion the whiskers compress. i dont know really know about honeycombs, but look down when you are pedaling sometimes. you can see the whiskers stretch then crease again - over and over again. the abrasion is much more than when you are just stagnate or just walking around. BUT word of warning: you might get chain lubricant on you right leg, its just a fact of cycling. but anyways, i just like wearing my jeans when i cycle because i can lose a little bit more weight from that extra bit of sweat. =P

-later days.

• 3 weeks later...

Prufrock, having rode many different bikes, Id say avoid a saddle that has kevlar on it, it really wears the denim, get a pure leather or synthetic leather perch.

bit of a random reply but i was searching and this thread popped its head up and i thought id ad my 2 cents

• 1 month later...

I ride with my Nudies SSK too but seeing that this is my first raw denim, I really dont know if they wear it faster or not. I will say this though, I have mad whiskerings and mad honeycombs(and it is about a size too big so its not too tight). Ass is faded more but I've ridden in less quality denim longer and they held up without needing repairs. But then again, I have a Brooks leather saddle. I ride on a european inspired utility bicycle(think dutch bikes) so I ride more upright and my saddle is also wider. I wonder if that helps since pressure is not as concentrated and leather lets your ass slide more than synthetic stuff.

I ride about 10+ miles at least 5 times a week in the last 1 1/2 months and my nudies already look better than some that barely sees any action apart from walking. Oh yeah, it is also great for those backpocket fading marks. I'm gonna try to take pictures tommorow.