bulletproof starch recipie

soultek

Hey all, I know there's been tons of posts about starching your jeans, but I haven't seen any good recipies as far as how to make the solution (other than "just use corn starch, dumbass!")

I'm using cornstarch, and it's more complicated than just mixing it with warm water. I went online and saw a few recipies that say to boil water, add starch, then stir and cool. I've been trying that. the starch is mainly liquid, but it also forms gelatinous gobs that stick on my clothes. The starch/water ratio doesn't seem to prevent this from happening. I've heard of people adding stuff to prevent caking, but I'm thinking this is the starch in the box, and not this solidifying i'm seeing. Comments? Help?

^^ werd

cornstarch you buy in the grocery store (cardboard box, white powder) acts very strange when water is added to it. it almost doesn't dissolve, but cakes up like you've said. if you want heavier starch then a can of spray starch will give, just buy a jug of sta-flo to put in a squirt bottle. you'll want to mix it with water, but keep the ratio bigger than 1:1 starch/water for heaviest starch

Quote:

Hey all, I know there's been tons of posts about starching your jeans, but I haven't seen any good recipies as far as how to make the solution (other than "just use corn starch, dumbass!")

I'm using cornstarch, and it's more complicated than just mixing it with warm water. I went online and saw a few recipies that say to boil water, add starch, then stir and cool. I've been trying that. the starch is mainly liquid, but it also forms gelatinous gobs that stick on my clothes. The starch/water ratio doesn't seem to prevent this from happening. I've heard of people adding stuff to prevent caking, but I'm thinking this is the starch in the box, and not this solidifying i'm seeing. Comments? Help?

--- Original message by soultek on Jun 16, 2006 11:15 AM

Here's a corn starch recipe I recently tried - bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Mix 1/2 cup corn starch in 2 cups cold water (make sure the starch is dissolved) and slowly pour into boiling water while stirring. Make sure water is 2 - 3 inches below the top of pan so starch will not boil over. Stir while cooking to prevent lumps/globs, let it come to a boil and cook about 1 minute. If the starch becomes too thick while cooking, then add some more water to thin it and continue cooking. Should be translucent when finished. Use undiluted for heavy starch. If you still get some globs, then pour the starch through a strainer before using. If your jeans get too stiff then dilute mixture with water after cooking or use 1/4 cup starch. If you really want the new raw denim look, then starch the jeans, let them dry, mist the jeans with water to slightly dampen and then iron them. It will make the denim smooth and stiff almost like new with a slight shine (if you don't want the shine, then turn jeans inside out and iron on back side).

Here's a corn starch recipe I recently tried - bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Mix 1/2 cup corn starch in 2 cups cold water (make sure the starch is dissolved) and slowly pour into boiling water while stirring. Make sure water is 2 - 3 inches below the top of pan so starch will not boil over. Stir while cooking to prevent lumps/globs, let it come to a boil and cook about 1 minute. If the starch becomes too thick while cooking, then add some more water to thin it and continue cooking. Should be translucent when finished. Use undiluted for heavy starch. If you still get some globs, then pour the starch through a strainer before using. If your jeans get too stiff then dilute mixture with water after cooking or use 1/4 cup starch. If you really want the new raw denim look, then starch the jeans, let them dry, mist the jeans with water to slightly dampen and then iron them. It will make the denim smooth and stiff almost like new with a slight shine (if you don't want the shine, then turn jeans inside out and iron on back side).