Your silhouette is the most important part of looking good...

After browsing through the What are you wearing thread I've seen hundreds of boring thousand dollar outfits... I think it really doesn't matter if you are wearing the brand of the moment and some cool shoes and selvedge jeans, It's all about how the clothes fit and fall on your body. Some days I'm just not feeling what I am wearing and it could be great expensive peices but they just don't fall right. Anyone know what I mean.

One of my favourite outfits that provides a great silhouette is a LS shirt with shorts and some sockless low shoes...

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

Agreed, and a large portion of it is your confidence and ease with your outfit. If you look like you fit the bill of the outfit, then its going to look good. So many guys are throwing on SBs and oversized Bape hoodies and while its not my style, some guys just pull it off and some guys just look ridiculous no matter how exclusive/hyped it is.

nairb49

I COMPLETELY AGREE..

sometime when im wearing something expensive....i just dont fel right, even if others think it looks good...when i get ready, it doesnt feel right and fit my body right...i dont know..its wierd...

Fashion is Art

Duh! I agree with you, it's the first thing I ever learned when I started trying to wear my closet well. Pulling off a style though takes alot more than just a silhouette.

I agree that the silhouette is essential. But it's just one factor. I believe that the silhuette is like a good way to "frame" one's self, but you gotta look at the whole outfit's composition as well such as colors, lines/trim and textures. And I can't really build a 'good' wardrobe that provides me with the right silhouette without having a few expensive pieces.

And what about one's body? Let's go another route: the most important part of looking good... is "looking good" without clothing... eh? Having a nice body kinda does it all ^_^. You know, like those people who can look good wearing anything?

Guest doubletap

I guess according to yall, some people are always going to look like shit.

what do those people do if they have a fashion fetish?

to me streetwear, fasion, or whatever you want to call it, is more about expressing oneself rather than looking good for others.

streamline the sickness

^^dont express yourself through the label. i do agree however, that design and history of an article should play a huge role when choosing clothes. like buying sugarcane because of the immense detail, and not because its "cool". in fact, buying most name brands is completely useless.

shop at a thrift store.

Guest doubletap

if I relate to a label's philosophy and background than I will wear it. Not because it makes my sillhoete looks good or whatever, but because it represents my lifestyle and in that sense one can totally express oneself through a label.

I'm not saying that I walk around like a billboard, really I wear blank tees most of the time.

Everybody is different, some care about how pretty they look, others care about how hyper exclusive or expensive their shit is, and others are really just putting shit together cause it looks cool and dont care about hype or sex-appeal.

streamline the sickness

Edited by doubletap on May 30, 2006 at 09:42 PM

Quote:

What you basically described is how I look better than most people without spending much money

--- Original message by leanmachine on May 30, 2006 10:10 PM

I like to think the same. I think it is funny when people assume you spend a tonne on clothes, just because you look good.

^^ doubletap raised an important point: that fashion and what people wear are diffirent to people. Some people pay more attention to how they feel when wearing an outfit and that feeling is sometimes less about impressing others visually...

But then again, this thread is all about "LOOKING GOOD"... but then again, what looks good is diffirent to alot of people.

In terms of silhuette, I like V-shaped torso, skinny arms, a prominent collar and crumpled slim legs. When you add a coat to the deal, I like all the same things, except that instead of a V-shape I like to coat to be more of an hourglass or straight-up rectangular. Oh and don't let me get started on shoe-silhouettes.

Funny, because in high school I used to like baggy pants and marshmallow-like bubble-goose jackets. ^_^ Funny how things change as one's fashion interest deepens.

yeah... i have alot of stuff i dont wear because it doesnt fit just right. at the same time i do 99% of clothesd shopping at thrift stores, so im not spending much money at all. id saw most of my outfits cost less than 20$ head to toe.

shit...

but if silhouette is that important to everybody then why all the repro denim hype? Some of the more vintage cuts yield a small looking waist tapering down to saggy hips which imo is not a nice silhouette at all. So if it s that important why are people dumping $500+ for what many modern people would consider ill fitting jeans?

Quote:

maybe they want that type of silhouette. its timeless and classic, and will be with us 50 years down the road. kinda like a neo-trad look.

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on May 31, 2006 07:41 AM

Sometimes I find that the words 'timeless' and 'classic' are used as an excuse for poor style. Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to look like every idiot out there has for the past fifty years. If I did, why bother with fashion at all?

I prefer modern takes on vintage items, such as the waistcoats and bowler hats that are coming out in F/W 06. Owning an item like this that will look great for three years is far superior than something that will look average for 50.

My 2 cents is that just because an item is actually 50 years old or a modern remake of something that is 50 years old doesn't necessarily mean you'll look dated and conservative if you wear it. It depends. Isn't that the point of this thread: it's all in how you wear the clothes?

Also whether or not we buy trendy brands, track down exclusive non-trendy brands, dig for vintage stuff, or even make our own clothes we're all trying to create an identity for ourselves by the clothes we wear. Even if you just go to your office job and tuck your shirt in and make sure it's clean: you're trying to present yourself as professional. Unless you 100% don't care what you look like in clothing (read: dirty sweats and flipflops every day no matter the occasion) and for some reason you like to voyeristically read this board, this applies to YOU. Anyone who is on this board and disagrees is full of shit IMO.

Guest doubletap

Fashion is ALL about creating an identity, but not everybody cares about what they look like to other people in their clothing... really I dont give a shit, I do it for myself. believe it or not. the only image im creating is ME.

All the pieces that I spend my hard earned cash on are entirely for me to enjoy and nobody else. of course I'm going to display them to others, but its all for my satisfaction... If people like it than cool if not than fuck them.

and concerning your attire at work, how I dress at work( shirt & tie ) is not really me so I dont really care about self expression or anything like that. i wish I could be myself and dress the way I wanted to ALWAYS. I mean, would the world cease to function if nobody was judged on their clothing and could dress however the fuck they wanted to at any given time?

streamline the sickness

Edited by doubletap on May 31, 2006 at 03:56 PM

I'd say your physical body is what makes you look good, your clothes just build off of it. If you have an ugly face or a stupid haircut, no amount of clothing is going to help you.

You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Yes sometimes "timeless" and "classic" are used as escuses for poor style. But I doubt Cheamofo is using it as that. I also doubt he's alluding to looking "average" for fifty. To me, a "Timeless" and unique Blazer/peacoat/M65 will always look good (the silhouette and cut) as will denim and etc.

Buying something that's "timeless" and unique to be able to look great for 50 years is better than looking like a clown after 10 years. It's also harder to do so than buying something that's trendy. Plus you're saving money, and I believe that's a challenge that some of us trying to achieve.

There have been countless posts here about this before. I'm not saying expensive = better, but a lot of times, expensive = better. Designer clothes are *generally* (not talking 100% of the time) more modern, better-fitting, fabrics cause a better drape which = a better sillhouette... etc.

I'm not saying I wear thousand-dollar outfits or anything. I think all of the factors - fabric, color combination, sillhouette, accuracy to era, having a good body, just kind of get lumped into looking stylish.

i definately agree with wild whiskey, designer clothes [mostly] have had more thought put into them, and it shows.

obsessis i'm still trying to work outwhere mc hammer was considered stylish, not where i lived icon_smile.gif, at the time a WYWT post [for me] would have been

vision streetwearskull cap

homemade hooded cardigan

stussy roots rock reagae t shirt weight hoodie

oversize levis 501

vans sk8 hi

teisco.gif

This thread is exactly why I tailor/alter every single piece of what I wear. Everything you buy in a store is fit for a specific body type and not necessarily yours. Small, medium and large really just don't cover the range of body types out there. I say that if anybody really wants to look good in what they wear they don't need to spend thousands on crappy 'streetwear', whatever the hell that is, all they need is a sewing machine.