Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

Manx, i think you are right though, if i understood you correctly. i suppose any profit-based industry will obviously cater to market demands, and the fact that the market happens to be comprised largely of white people is more incidental than anything else. instead, as you say, i think a more appropriate metric in determining the point at which "organic" music becomes shit "pop" might be cultural intelligence.

but i dont know, i personally struggled with questions like this on my own reflection. because once you make the case that there is some "cultural IQ," then you also have to acknowledge that there is some "objective" standard on which one can be measured up to, i.e., that you can quantify one's taste in music, literature, films, fashion and so on. david lynch 85 cultural points, todd phillips 40. kanye west 80, waka flocka 50. ccp 90, jcrew 25, so on and so forth.

and you obviously see the problem here. maybe it doesnt have to be so numerical or specific, but my point here is only that once you create some hierarchic standard to determine someone's "cultural IQ," you are objectifying what is basically a subjective experience for everyone. but believe me, even when i know that, im just as guilty as the next guy, in judging someone for his or her taste in cultural product X.

as much as i want to say that everyone has different tastes and preferences, i.e., that everything is subjective, i cant help but think that there has to be at least some minimal level of objectiveness in all values, whether its cultural, moral, etc.

i mean, now im taking this to a direction where i dont want to go, since it will just take us too far off the path, but consider this example: if values were all subjective, then would you say that someone who, for a living, counts the number of grass in his backyard to be leading a "meaningful" life? if you truly believed that values are subjective, then, yes, you have to acknowledge that this person whose sole purpose in life is to count grass is living a meaningful life. but obviously, this just seems wrong on an intuitive level. but if i find it to be wrong intuitively, then that means that there are in fact objective values out in the world.

fuck, im getting off-track. better just PM me if you want to talk more.

so i stumble upon a couple selling a bunch of old CD's in almost every genre at this small festival

i'm browsing and trying to grab some stuff for the superswap. lo and behold, some chick who looks like kristin kreuk + rashida jones pops up and starts grabbing a bunch of old school soul cd's, barry white, thelonious shit

i ask the couple if they have any sade, and they're not sure. said chick finds sade's diamond life and hands it to me. we get to talking about music and she mentions OF, miles, hall & oates, etc.

i didn't get her #. damn, i fucked up.

Rain,

FIrst off, Kanye West = -1,000 points. That piece of shit is a low brow and a flat foot and offers no value to humanity even as a novelty with which to humiliate. What a fucking dork.

Also,

People aren't special. Things are far less subjective than we like to think. Nobody should be allowed the ego to think that they're a universe of ideas unto themselves. That's what makes measuring cultural relevance somewhat objective. Opinions are opinions, but worth IS determined by just that, worth. There is an absolutism when it comes to what matters. Fortunately, what most people enjoy isn't the standard by which it is measured. Worth is measured solely upon standards that I, Manx, state as absolute.

With that in mind, I deem hiphop the pro-wrestling of music. You're supposed to grow out of it as you listen to more music.

Definitely think the hip-hop statement is worth arguing about, but I'm too lazy.

I grew up listening excusively to hip-hop and eventually discovered and all types of music, but nothing really matters to me the same way. I always end up back to it. Obviously, I don't know your own experience/knowledge of the genre, but that statement is just weak.

From all the videos posted, I see no resemblance between Death Grips and Earl Sweatshirt. I don't like most of the Odd Future album but most of Earl's and Tyler's tracks are really tight. I just find their flow to be interesting and very well timed unlike the vast majority of rap nowadays.

Just so I don't get bashed, I mostly listen to Kev Brown, Lord Quas and Cannibal Ox. I like to think they aren't bad either lol....

Death Grips is just raw as shit while Tyler and Earl, even tho they say some harder than usual rappers (oh noooo) seem to be better off skill wise.

Definitely think the hip-hop statement is worth arguing about, but I'm too lazy.

I grew up listening excusively to hip-hop and eventually discovered and all types of music, but nothing really matters to me the same way. I always end up back to it. Obviously, I don't know your own experience/knowledge of the genre, but that statement is just weak.

(I wasn't serious/Becalmed for once)

i made fun of ghostface on twitter and he retweeted it. about 10000 people ran a hate-train on me. i have never been terrified of the internet before seeing someone asking a bunch of gay gang-bangers to find clopek and rape him.

i made fun of ghostface on twitter and he retweeted it. about 10000 people ran a hate-train on me. i have never been terrified of the internet before seeing someone asking a bunch of gay gang-bangers to find clopek and rape him.

link to said events?

edit: your tweet was a lil harsh