ande whall contest thread

aleopold

Edit:

I see.. so you're talking after repeated washings, over time.

I never cop san-denim. I always opt for raw, when available. Matter of fact, the SC Okinawas are the only pair I have that didn't come non-san.

Does Ande offer anything other than san-denim? I thought the stuff on his site is all sanforized.

Anyways, I usually hand wash, cold water after my initial hot soak so I'm still not too worried about inseam shrinkage.

Ill still treat this how I normally do: go 34 waist and hem if necessary. Simple as that

^I've found soaking sanforized denim is good to get any remaining shrinkage out, and also some of the excessive starch that can be uncomfortable, and also cause your jeans to rip prematurely. At least I found this true with skulls. That being said, I don't like buying one wash jeans, because I feel like industrial washing is much harsher on them than if I soaked or even washed them myself.

Although I'm no Artisan as such, I do work as a graphic designer and was thinking of how I could contribute to the contest without 'interfering' with Andes great work, so thought I could try and do a tee shirt graphic or something.

I kinda liked the idea of something 'kiwi' being included but to 'throw a generic kiwi on a patch' seemed kinda cliche to me (it may hold more weight to foreigners but here in NZ every man & his dog produce that kind of stuff in the cheap local markets & tourist shops and it didn't seem appropriate to lower Andes great brand down to that level) so I tried to think of a concept that would take the idea one step further and came up with this. It will still need a bit of work if the idea is 'accepted' and will need some form of typography but I'd like to wait and see what Ande comes up with for the patch before I tackle that part. I also thought about making the kiwi a bit more animated (like a bucking bronco) but realised that they are such passive wee things and liked the 'play' on it being quite static.

awrodeo.jpg

Ande, by chance you don't know of a source for some kiwi hide for the patch? (10) Anyways, keep up the great work mate - love your back pocket x-tack & rivet idea and the simple typography on the hide patch!

Theotherchrislewis - I really like this man, I'm in.

What would be cool is, with that being on the front, I'd love the other concept you(I think that was you..lol) put together with the dual Ande's flying jeans logo(right pair w/ evo looked dope) and the rest of it, on the back of the shirt. Loved it. Be nice to not let it go to waste.

Either way, put me down for one.

And in re: to the X bar tack PLUS hidden rivet, I LOVE it, despite what some of the others think.

I f'n love that t design. Put me down even if it doesnt go out as part of the contest. Add to it the original flyin jeans design from earlier and I got my next wear everyday t. Nice work!!! And I'm with you in the barrack & hidden rivet idea. I thought it looked good. The outside of the pocket having the bar tack the inside with just the hidden rivet. IMO obviously, and in no way will I be upset if someone doesn't like it or disagrees.

sorry jwsach, not the update you are probably after but.....

cheers to all for the comments & rep, that was a quick concept made from a couple of internet downloads - so I'm gonna try and work up a better version over the next week or so and we'll see how it turns out, would love anyone else to throw up any ideas for tees if they have any so it isn't just a 1 horse race?

stresMaldo, thanks for the comments but I don't really want to use any of Ande's designs / IP on any non-AW stuff. As it was only a patch design concept for when he asked for suggestions and only if he was going to do it properly - more than happy to play with other concepts for other parts of the contest but ill leave the flying jeans etc to him.

b7c0a3a7.jpg

2ee05f52.jpg

b6286531.jpg

Well started with the first scotch then the rest was a blur.

After that, and now at home lamenting the fact that the enthusiasm had sort of waned from this thread. I felt it necessary to offer a ramble on this threads state of affairs.

Firstly, Mr. Lewis... that design for the tshirt you created was boss, I hope some of the other contest participants are as pumped as I am with it.

Additionally: I am waiting with almost unhealthy anticipation for the day AW post pics of his creation. I think we all will be god smacked...but even the most creative people require a muse occasionally. So in my scotch induced stupor I plead that we all continue the discourse. Maybe a few will be discouraged that their ideas didn't make it to the final design. Perhaps, the sharing of ideas will help fuel AW's creative juices. Maybe I should just stfu and go to bed??

Well started with the first scotch then the rest was a blur. After that, and now at home lamenting the fact that the enthusiasm had sort of waned from this thread. Mr. Lewis... that design for the tshirt you created was boss, I hope some of the other contest participants are as pumped as I am with it. I am waiting with almost unhealthy anticipation for the day AW post pics of his creation. I think we all will be flabbergasted...but even the most creative people require a muse occasionally. So in my scotch induced stupor I plead that we all continue the discourse. Maybe a few will be discouraged that their ideas didn't make it to the final design. Perhaps, the sharing of ideas will help fuel AW's creative juices. Maybe I should just stfu and go to bed??

Nothing wrong with a little scotch-fueled discussion (though I prefer bourbon myself).

I don't think enthusiasm has died, we're just in waiting mode now. At least I hope that's the case. The denim is ordered, Ande's fine-tuning the details, and hopefully soon we will have some definitive info. I don't think we need to throw out any more suggestions, as I think Ande has a pretty good idea as to where things are headed.

I agree that the t-shirt is badass. I wish I had my screen printing stuff with me so I could help print the shirts.

Sorry I haven't been as active lately, its taken much longer than expected to get my computer repaired. Hopefully I'll get it back tomorrow and all my files will be intact. If that's the case, I'll post an updated list.

Currently I'm trying to decide on my sizing. My grifters were 36x34 and my slackers are 35x36. The slackers are super tight after a soak, but stretch out pretty much perfectly after a few wears. I'm planning on getting cougars for the contest, but I'm not sure if 36 waist in the cougars would seem too big compared to the slackers. I want more room, but I don't want them to seem over-sized either. I'm also trying to drop a few pounds, but I'm not sure it would really affect my waistline that much. I think I am leaning towards 36x34 and aiming for a single cuff. Thoughts?

i think you should size whatever you think fits best in the waist. so, if your grifters fit better in the waist (not the top block all together, just waistline) then go with a 36, or a 35 if you like your slackers in the waist. then pick out the cut you want.. if any of this makes sense.

I'm not sure that would be the best comparison, as the grifters sat much lower, on wider part of my body.

I think really a 35 or 36 would be fine. The 36 would give me some room to tuck a shirt in, but I don't do that too often as it is. Maybe getting a 35 would give me extra motivation to lose some weight.

I'm not sure that would be the best comparison, as the grifters sat much lower, on wider part of my body.

I think really a 35 or 36 would be fine. The 36 would give me some room to tuck a shirt in, but I don't do that too often as it is. Maybe getting a 35 would give me extra motivation to lose some weight.

I'm in the same boat but I'm between a 31 and a 32 waist. I'm also going for cougars.

I'm leaning towards 31 because I'd like a slightly slimmer fit.

Hey guys! Glad the enthusiasm is still going, it's going to be cool...I'm getting psyched.

I talked to Justin the very nice chap who is producing the patches, he has ordered the brand and the hide. He sent through a pic, not sure if this is the actual hide or just an example, the pic isn't that clear but you get the idea.

hideh.jpg

This is really cool! With bit or work and some text this will be well cool. Good work fella.

Although I'm no Artisan as such, I do work as a graphic designer and was thinking of how I could contribute to the contest without 'interfering' with Andes great work, so thought I could try and do a tee shirt graphic or something.

I kinda liked the idea of something 'kiwi' being included but to 'throw a generic kiwi on a patch' seemed kinda cliche to me (it may hold more weight to foreigners but here in NZ every man & his dog produce that kind of stuff in the cheap local markets & tourist shops and it didn't seem appropriate to lower Andes great brand down to that level) so I tried to think of a concept that would take the idea one step further and came up with this. It will still need a bit of work if the idea is 'accepted' and will need some form of typography but I'd like to wait and see what Ande comes up with for the patch before I tackle that part. I also thought about making the kiwi a bit more animated (like a bucking bronco) but realised that they are such passive wee things and liked the 'play' on it being quite static.

awrodeo.jpg

Ande, by chance you don't know of a source for some kiwi hide for the patch? (10) Anyways, keep up the great work mate - love your back pocket x-tack & rivet idea and the simple typography on the hide patch!

Was thinking of kicking off construction on the 30 pairs on the 1st March, so it's probably a good time to start getting organized with names and thinking about the style and size you want.

A final list compiled by the 1st March with Name, number, style, waist size and inseam length. I will put up a special contest sales section on the website between 1st-7th March.

Being a contest, made to order for 30 people there won't be a chance for size returns. So first time guys need to check out there measurements really carefully and ask other guys some advice etc. I find the best way is still the "flat measure your own jeans method", pulling the waistband out to it's maximum width.

What do you guys think?

Wow, thats the first great update we've all been waiting for!!

March 1st sounds perfect to me. Purchasing directly from the website is a great idea.

If everybody wants to pm me, or you can leave the specifics in this thread, and I can compile the list for Ande. Or I know robotbox and Poly were helping with the original list, let me know if this works?

also, if I'm reading that correctly it sounds like money needs to be ready and the denim purchased between March 1st and March 7via Ande's website, is this correct?

edit: one more thing, Ande. You asked for a list to be compiled that lists our denim choice, as well as our name and number. Do you mean our phone number for contact, or number of the 30, that we are on the list of participants?

Finally, do you have a general idea on how much these are going to cost, roughly? Just so we kinda get an idea on what we need to have ready for purchase.. thanks!

If everybody wants to pm me, or you can leave the specifics in this thread, and I can compile the list for Ande. Or I know robotbox and Poly were helping with the original list, let me know if this works?

I don't think there's any need to PM stresMaldo, as that's just one more person to have to coordinate with. Thanks for the offer though stres!

I got my computer back today, so I can start working on cleaning up the list to reflect recent drop-outs and additions. I've already collected names and emails for almost everyone on the list.

What I'll probably do is post the list of 30 later tonight, and mark who is still missing email and name. Once that's up, people can begin PM'ing me their cut and size.

Does this sound good? If I end up needing help, I'll let you know stres. there may be a better way of doing this I haven't considered

Okay y'all. Here's the list of 30. If you see something that looks off, let me know. I think I took off everyone that said they were dropping out, but I may have missed something. I'll do a more thorough check of this again later tonight

If I still need your contact info, your name is in bold

1. Poly800rock

2. Robotbox

3. Crovax

4. Aleopold

5. Dawei94

6. Grooveholmes

7. Gold Soaked Afternoon

8. smittybat

9. Exit 40 MPH

10. Cents or Non Cents

11. theotherchrislewis