Official Alden Shoes & Boots Thread

epauletshop

dont know what the "point" of it is, but all i know is that Alden's variety is pretty comfortable, doesn't hurt the foot as much as other rubber soles (for me at least). It has excellent traction in the rain, and it wears pretty well. all you'd need to get over is the color i guess, and that leather tip

whats the point of a crepe sole?

I find them very comfortable. More so than many leather only soles.

It has excellent traction in the rain

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Maybe it depends upon the terrain, but I only wear crepe-soled shoes when it's fairly dry outside. Rain, and especially ice, do not mix with crepe soles... Just my view though.

I know Riff has a pair. I have seen them in person. The lugged sole is pretty beefy and the leather is pretty tough. They would make a really good winter boot for the city if your winters are anything like we get here in Canada.

Damn it...really dunno what to do!Want a pair of Aldens so bad...Now either these or the normal Alden 403 or 405...Pretty hard decisions atm :)

thank you.

i was looking at a pair of wing tip boots and the pair i want has a crepe sole, but i would think a commando sole is probably more durable in the rain and crappy weather than the crepe sole or the all leather sole.

just didnt know in what conditions crepe soles have the advantage. comfort would be a good reason to get crepe soles

I find them very comfortable. More so than many leather only soles.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Maybe it depends upon the terrain, but I only wear crepe-soled shoes when it's fairly dry outside. Rain, and especially ice, do not mix with crepe soles... Just my view though.

this was usually the case with me and other crepe soled shoes, but for some reason Alden seems to have made one that's the exception to this. maybe it has to do with location, since rains here in los angeles may not be as intense as they are in your location, but it works pretty well.

Damn it...really dunno what to do!Want a pair of Aldens so bad...Now either these or the normal Alden 403 or 405...Pretty hard decisions atm :)

I have the 403's, the Roy boot in chrmxl, #8 PTB and my 403's are by far my favorite for day to day use. They are fine for typical city winter and great for any other time. Highly recommend them. Just make sure you guy them in person and see them. Alden has had some quality control issues with their Indy boots because of the greater demand lately. Give them a thorough inspection and you should be good. I know Giles over at Iron Heart has some horror stories about his Alden's but I have never had an issue.

I know Riff has a pair. I have seen them in person. The lugged sole is pretty beefy and the leather is pretty tough. They would make a really good winter boot for the city if your winters are anything like we get here in Canada.

There's no way I would trudge around in these boots during a winter in Montreal. Maybe a B.C. winter, but for the most part, wearing those beauts would mean putting in countless hours dealing with salt stains and soaking wet feet.

hi guys, need some sizing advice for the Alden x Context Roy chromexcel boots. i'm a US8D in Red Wings 875s / moc toes and a US9 for more sneakers.

the cordovan Ravello/whisky chukkas fits the same i presume as the Roys? if anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Event the NY Alden store is out of stock :(

I have the 403's, the Roy boot in chrmxl, #8 PTB and my 403's are by far my favorite for day to day use. They are fine for typical city winter and great for any other time. Highly recommend them. Just make sure you guy them in person and see them. Alden has had some quality control issues with their Indy boots because of the greater demand lately. Give them a thorough inspection and you should be good. I know Giles over at Iron Heart has some horror stories about his Alden's but I have never had an issue.

Thanks mate.

Think I'll go that route then...403/405 is the way to go!And maybe I'll cop the 404 Kudu as well for being my winterboot...we'll see!

THIS THREAD is what you're looking for.

I'm almost positive the Context Roys are on the Trubalance last, the same as my 403s. For these, I went with a 9.5D, the same as my Red Wing 1907s. Although my 1907s are pretty snug... prolly could've gone with a 10D.

My advice for the Roys is 8D, but you could probably squeeze into 7.5D.

EDIT: after checking the Context site, I saw the Roys are now up to $495!!! Damn that's stout.

hi guys, need some sizing advice for the Alden x Context Roy chromexcel boots. i'm a US8D in Red Wings 875s / moc toes and a US9 for more sneakers.

the cordovan Ravello/whisky chukkas fits the same i presume as the Roys? if anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated. Event the NY Alden store is out of stock :(

Cheers for the reply Layne, that's the same advice I got from the Context peeps.

Yeah really regretted not pulling the trigger the last round of pre-order, they even had free shipping then.

Having said that, would appreciate any comments or feedback from Roy owners on whether it is really worth getting it as my first pair of Aldens.

Would really like a pair of ravello or whisky cordovan Chukkas but looks like that won't happen anytime soon with the current scarcity.

ohh yea read about that issue a while back...customerservice was F up

THIS THREAD is what you're looking for.

I'm almost positive the Context Roys are on the Trubalance last, the same as my 403s. For these, I went with a 9.5D, the same as my Red Wing 1907s. Although my 1907s are pretty snug... prolly could've gone with a 10D.

My advice for the Roys is 8D, but you could probably squeeze into 7.5D.

EDIT: after checking the Context site, I saw the Roys are now up to $495!!! Damn that's stout.

The Roy boots are Barrie last and have been $495 for a while.

The Roy boots are Barrie last and have been $495 for a while.

I'm sorry but you're wrong about the last. Peep the site brah.

And the price may have been $495 but Context is overcharging IMO. A store I know (I posted the pic months ago) made a boot very similar to this but was natural chromexcel on the barrie last and they charged $445. I don't blame Context... they know folks will pay it.

i wear a 9.5 in the barrie. recommend a 10 in the laydon last or can i get away with a 9.5? im glad to know im notthe only one with the heel slip wearing the barrie last.

i have a pair of medallion captoe's also in a 9.5 but im not sure the last they are on. i want to say they are on the Aberdeen if that helps.