wow.... i washed my jeans after 3 weeks and they are not ruined!

so after 3 weeks of my double rls, wearing every day, i had to wash them. they couldnt pass the nose test, and i had a hole in the ass i had to patch after skating. threw them in the washer, cold water with some dr bronners. hung to dry. amazingly they are not ruined. they faded where they should have. faint whiskers and honeycombs coming thru. the denim is beautiful, and still dark where there was not much wear. id post pics but you cant see any detail on my camera phone, so i wont bother.

lesson: theyre just jeans.

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

I am sure your jeans look great, but this is really a bit of a pointless thread.

Experience has proven (and can has obviously been demonstrated) time and time again that with a 'dry' jeans, the best method to get the 'vintage' effect quickly, is the prolonged wear and prolonged NON washing.

For example, if there was a pictorial comparison between the "wash after three weeks" and "wash after three / six months" schools of thought, I'm sure that I would prefer the look of those from the latter category in most instances.

As for the people who keep responding 'just jeans' to every thread... well, of course they are 'just jeans'.

But then again, so are regular stonewash 501, boot cut Diesel jeans etc available everywhere - the whole purpose of this forum is for people who like to know a bit more about denim and its qualities and (largely) tips on how to make them appear aged, western style in the old fashioned way.

If we were to take the 'just jeans' response to its ultimate conclusion, everyone would be wearing the absolute cheapest jeans we could find, regardless of quality or finish (i.e in England that would be 'George at ASDA' etc) and no one would be wearing repro style jeans or wanting further info about them.

Not to 'diss' anyone who keeps responding 'just jeans' to every post, but if you really do feel they are 'just jeans' then you are wasting an awful lot of your free time reading this particular forum and surely you will have better things to do than read and respond to pages and pages of posts about 'just jeans'.

Let me pre-empt an inevitable response before anyone from the 'just jeans' camp bothers to type it....

Just jeans.

ok... but compare my jeans that i plan on washing once a month to the six month pair after the same amount of time, and we will see. the 3week/6month comparison is pointless.

second. my jeans were onwash not dry. of course there is really no difference in fading between the two. look at ryu's sugarcanes.

the point of this thread(and i will have some pics) is to show that there is more than one way to wear your jeans. you may wholeheartedly follw the no wash for 6 months rule, but not everyone can, and there is no reason everyone should. for me its a bad idea because of the climate where i live and the activities that i do.

in response to "If we were to take the 'just jeans' response to its ultimate conclusion, everyone would be wearing the absolute cheapest jeans we could find, regardless of quality or finish," they may just be jeans, but they are quality jeans. if you buy quality then you can treat them they way they were ment originaly to be treated, as rugged work wear. in this case it would actually be more economical to buy a good pair of repros to ensure that they last, and age well. to me "jeans" are not what rustler puts out, nor what old navy puts out, but what levis and wrangler used to put out, and what the japanese are currently making.

Edited by cheapmuthafukr on May 15, 2006 at 05:40 AM

i don't think time is so much a factor as the level of abrasion. CMF's 3 weeks is some other MF's 6 months.

of course there is a certain methodology for achieving desired higes, but that does not mean one should baby one's jeans.

no need to talk out yr neck---they are just (ringring selvage) jeans!

EDIT: DANG, you fast on the trigger!

Using chain stitch, your train of jeans is fading wind.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on May 15, 2006 at 05:41 AM

I am completely against threads and questions that allude to "babying" jeans.

To get the best effect (at least that I like) the best solution is to live in your jeans as normal, as if they were 'normal' jeans, except for frequent washing.

A lot of the time on here, what is happening is that people are buying expensive Japanese jeans or LVCs for the first time and obviously if you've just paid approx £150 (300 us) on a pair of jeans and have your heart set on the trashed faded look, you certainly dont want them to end up looking like 'regular' jeans (you know what I mean by my using the term 'regular').

This is why people are asking often repetitive (and sometimes ridiculous questions about what hanger to use in the wardrobe and "oh my god, I spilt a drop of lemonade on my raw jeans!!! What should I do?") because they dont want to 'mess' up the "evolution" process.

I just tend to ignore these threads cos if they do enough reading, they will find out for themselves - but at the same time, I dont think the 'just jeans' response really helps anyone.

Anyway, have got this off my chest now!!

Good luck with your Ralph Laurens

love the redlines, almost as much as my rrl. i think that i am a little unusual on here, as i wear jeans to work everyday. i wear my jeans from 6:00 am to 12:pm when i go to bed. i skatebaord at least 4 or 5 hours a week. i walk at least a mile a day. i put my jeans thru hell. thats is why i cant go 6 months. im in florida, and skating in 90 degree heat and 98 percent humidity will make you think twice about washing.

ups told me tuesday.

Quote:

love the redlines, almost as much as my rrl. i think that i am a little unusual on here, as i wear jeans to work everyday. i wear my jeans from 6:00 am to 12:pm when i go to bed. i skatebaord at least 4 or 5 hours a week. i walk at least a mile a day. i put my jeans thru hell. thats is why i cant go 6 months. im in florida, and skating in 90 degree heat and 98 percent humidity will make you think twice about washing.

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on May 15, 2006 06:27 AM

bah, it hasnt gotten out of the 80's yet! icon_smile_wink.gif

I think the big difference is most people don't live as active of a lifestyle, so the wear an active person gets in a month, they wont get for 6 months or more. I noticed more wear on my APC's in the week I spent visiting my parents and working in the garage and stuff than I do in a month of just doing my day to day stuff.

Though I am still from the don't wash until they need them camp, mostly because that was how I always treated my jeans.

Fact remains that washing will make your jeans loose colour and stiffness.

If you really want a certain effect which is only reached by NOT washing for a long time then you have to put up with the smell, how horrible it may be.

I wear a rather loosefitting pair right now and am afraid that when I wash them that breaking in will be even harder because the only defined fading i see is at the back of the knees (they have been worn for over a year and smell like satans anus).

i think you may need some tighter fitting jeans to get the look you want. if you have worn those for a year and not had any fading you may not really get any.

and like people have said before, its not the time but the wear. i think the way i wear jeans, a year without washing would leave dark patches between the holes where whiskers used to be.

Quote:

Fact remains that washing will make your jeans loose colour and stiffness.

If you really want a certain effect which is only reached by NOT washing for a long time then you have to put up with the smell, how horrible it may be.

I wear a rather loosefitting pair right now and am afraid that when I wash them that breaking in will be even harder because the only defined fading i see is at the back of the knees (they have been worn for over a year and smell like satans anus).

--- Original message by Tob on May 15, 2006 10:04 AM

why dont you try a mega starch on these?

you have nothing to lose.

pics of my ruined jeans up in the evo thread

Ha ha, a lot of what is being said has been echoed by my own personal experience.

Picked up some levi engineered jeans at 16. Loved the deep deep colour, so was careful about never washing them. But apart from that, wore them to death. I mean everything clubbing, sports,school everything.

Eventually they had to be washed and i did so, but was well careful to use little detergent and low temperature. The whiskers higes fades etc were beutiful! Un-beknowst to me, i was being a denim head. So gutted when they had to be retired.

Then picked up some Evisu's on a tip from a friend. Was over over careful with them, mainly cause of price. Handled them with kid gloves.They turned out shit.

Lesson learned. Since then, i still am a little overly fussy when i buy premium denim, but the best thing is always to put them on and forget about them.

"When you 1st buy jeans, denimis just denim.

You learn a little more about jeans, and denim becomes more than denim

Then you eventually realise jeans are just jeans. "*

*Stolen from a poster and messed with.

Edited by alitarbegshe on May 17, 2006 at 12:25 PM

Edited by alitarbegshe on May 17, 2006 at 12:28 PM