Suicide Notes

Man

I don't know if many of you have seen this already or not, but i found it a short interesting read.

http://www.smashinglists.com/suicide-notes-from-10-famous-people/

And so I leave this world, where the heart must either break or turn to lead.

Suicide note.

~~ Nicolas-Sebastien Chamfort, French writer, d. 1794

To my friends: My work is done. Why wait?

Suicide note.

~~ George Eastman, inventor, d. March 14, 1932

When all usefulness is over, when one is assured of an unavoidable and imminent death, it is the simplest of human rights to choose a quick and easy death in place of a slow and horrible one.

Suicide note.

~~ Charlotte Perkins Gilman, writer, d. August 17, 1935

( As an advocate for the right-to-die, Gilman committed suicide on August 17, 1935 by taking an overdose of chloroform. She "chose chloroform over cancer.")

I must end it. There's no hope left. I'll be at peace. No one had anything to do with this. My decision totally.

Suicide note.

~~ Freddie Prinze, comedian, d. January 29, 1977

Dear World, I am leaving you because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool - good luck.

Suicide note.

~~ George Sanders, British actor, d. April 25, 1972

"Football Season Is Over."

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax This won't hurt.

Hunter left the note for his wife, Anita. He shot himself four days later at his home in Aspen, Colo., after weeks of pain from a host of physical problems that included a broken leg and a hip replacement.

~~ Hunter S. Thompson, author, d. 20 February, 2005

The future is just old age and illness and pain.... I must have peace and this is the only way.

Suicide note.

~~ James Whale, film director, d. May 29, 1957

I don't believe that people should take their own lives without deep and thoughtful reflection over a considerable period of time.

Suicide note.

~~ Wendy O. Williams, punk rock performer, d. April 6, 1998

Not suicide notes, but some famous last words;

Don't worry, it's not loaded.

Suicide playing Russian roulette.

Terry Kath, rock musician, d. January 23, 1978

And now, in keeping with Channel 40's policy of always bringing you the latest in blood and guts, in living color, you're about to see another first - an attempted suicide.

Shot herself during broadcast.

Chris Chubbuck, newscaster, d. July 15, 1974

Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something.

Francisco ("Pancho") Villa

Richard Brautigan was sometimes considered a Beat writer, but he definitely had his own style and approach. It’s said that he left a bar one night and drove back to his coastal home in northern California. No one saw him again for two months. When some authorities finally went to check on him at his house, his body was found with the head torn off by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The body was badly decomposed. The only purported suicide note read, “Messy, isn’t it?”

"On 8 April 1991, Dead committed suicide, leaving a suicide note which included an apology for having shot a firearm indoors and which ended with: "Sorry for all the blood." He was later found by Euronymous with his wrists cut and a shotgun round to the head."

edit -made a good album cover

Richard Brautigan was sometimes considered a Beat writer, but he definitely had his own style and approach. It’s said that he left a bar one night and drove back to his coastal home in northern California. No one saw him again for two months. When some authorities finally went to check on him at his house, his body was found with the head torn off by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The body was badly decomposed. The only purported suicide note read, “Messy, isn’t it?â€

my favourite author.

In 1984, at age 49, Richard Brautigan had recently moved to Bolinas, California, where he was living alone in a large, old house. He died of a self-inflicted .44 Magnum gunshot wound to the head. The exact date of his death is unknown, and his decomposed body was found by Robert Yench, a private investigator, on October 25, 1984. The body was found on the living room floor, in front of a large window that looked out over the Pacific Ocean. It is speculated that Brautigan may have ended his life over a month earlier, on September 14, 1984, after talking to former girlfriend Marcia Clay on the telephone. Brautigan was survived by his parents, both ex-wives, and his daughter Ianthe. He has one grandchild named Elizabeth, who was born about two years after his death.

Brautigan once wrote, "All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds."

Camus says, in "The myth of Sisyphus":

“There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest – whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind has nine or twelve categories – comes afterwards. These are games; one must first answer [the questions of suicide].â€

An interesting read for those interested in the subject.