skateboarding saved my life

the dudes at my skateshop here are like you can get pretty much anything dude... not the most helpful guys

he did recommend at my size and that i am want to learn mostly street shit that an 8" board with some 52-54mm wheels would be good so i can learn the proper foot positions...

they had a local brand board that came out to 120 total. but damn a CCS complete board is only like 70 bucks... thats alot cheaper!

btw where do i find those 20% off coupons?

Yo, 8" board is good.

stick with 52 mm wheels not 54's. Lower wider trucks would be better for you, make sure they aren't too tight.

You can get a black powell deck for just as cheap as a ccs deck at your local skate shop so stop coping out.

Don't forget about your back foot when you're learning flatland tricks.

cheep not everyone is into the soul of skating, man. some people just wanna do it, they dont care about anybody else. let 'em buy their CCS shit

yeah, i guess im too 90s. back when i started you had to really love it to be in it... its cool now but then it was pretty universally hated.

when i used to skate i liked loose trucks. a few of my friends really liked tight trucks. the reason why they liked them was that they could add a couple extra inches to their ollies on the spot........but who the hell wants to ollie on the spot? we would go out skating and if we were bombing down a hill i would be nice and smooth cos i could lean to turn. there boards kept turning to the side every 0.5 secs because with tight trucks their allways gonna lean one way or the other.

it was quite funny sometimes cos theyd slam from trying to keep their board straight when going fast.

this is what im thinking of getting... any thoughts?

61-19014_c.jpg

CCS Ted Stripe Bamboo Deck

61-19014 | Multi 8.00 $74.99 $74.99 61-21871_c.jpg Independent Stage 10 Trucks

61-21871 | Silver 8.00 $10.00

61-76419_c.jpg CCS Blocks Wheels

61-76419 | Grey/Purple 53 $2.00

61-30015_c.jpg Bones Bearings Reds Bearings

61-30015 | Multi

$6.00

61-33654_c.jpg Mob Grip Tape

61-33654 | Multi

$0.00

61-33544_c.jpg CCS Hardware Lucky Bolts

61-33544 | Multi

$0.00

61-34196_c.jpg Pig Checks Risers

61-34196 | Multi 1/8 $0.00

Total: $95.99 shipped

cool the bones reds are only an extra 6 bucks to the total price.... is it worth to get some name brand items for the wheels or anything else?

i figured having some good trunks is probably the most important thing. thats why i went with the indys

next i need to find some skate buddies, it would be alot easier to learn tricks with some peeps who can show what i should be doing..... i am trying to learn how to ollie right now, slowly getting better but its kinda frustrating.

^I think so.

It's crazy what skating is now. The other day I picked up a CCS magazine for the first time in over 8 years and couldn't believe how much it had changed.

I think truck tightness can just be preference. I liked my shit fairly tight to prevent from getting wheel bites. Nothing worse than landing and locking up IMO.

How long have you been skating cheap?

my last set up i had b4 i quit was a new deal andy howell i think?

gullwing little gs? they had a rounded base at the front, for doing nose/tail slides.

and i had santa cruz bullits i think? for wheels.....i used to like my wheels about 1/2 cm from my bearings. so really small. i did have those for years though

^I think so.

It's crazy what skating is now. The other day I picked up a CCS magazine for the first time in over 8 years and couldn't believe how much it had changed.

I think truck tightness can just be preference. I liked my shit fairly tight to prevent from getting wheel bites. Nothing worse than landing and locking up IMO.

How long have you been skating cheap?

since 1990 or 1991

cool the bones reds are only an extra 6 bucks to the total price.... is it worth to get some name brand items for the wheels or anything else?

i figured having some good trunks is probably the most important thing. thats why i went with the indys

next i need to find some skate buddies, it would be alot easier to learn tricks with some peeps who can show what i should be doing..... i am trying to learn how to ollie right now, slowly getting better but its kinda frustrating.

well... i ALWAYS get namebrand decks and wheels... spitfire wheels only for me, and 99% of the time i get a DLX (real, anti-hero, or krooked) deck. you get what you pay for.

well... i ALWAYS get namebrand decks and wheels... spitfire wheels only for me, and 99% of the time i get a DLX (real, anti-hero, or krooked) deck. you get what you pay for.

This is true, I started out with girl/chocolate decks...Mariano/Sean Sheffey decks with hardly any tail in 90's. But these companies are what I need now.

Anyways...my ride right now is actually:

Huf board 7.75

Indy's

52mm Spitfire street burners

Bones Reds (cheap, but good)

i started really skating in 2001 when i was 11... i did skate before that but it consisted more of neighborhood kids trying to recreate the x-games Cul-de-sac style. i skate everyday, it's more fun then ever.

I live in Portland, the city has like 15 more parks to build in the next few years. they are making Portland a skateboarding mecca. it would be possible but it rains all the time.

jerry fowler is on hopps now.

about your set up spaceman i don't know about the bamboo deck. never tried one, but i haven't heard great things. ccs makes regular decks too i think, or just get a blank if you're trying to cut costs.

if you look at the tech sheet for that board

http://a712.g.akamai.net/7/712/225/20090630/shop.ccs.com/images/ccs/tech-images/BAMBOO.pdf

its like 3 maple plys then one bamboo then 3 more maples.... i dunno if thats good or bad but i liked the design of the graphics... lol

its better looking than the other cheap ccs boards in my size..... dont really care about the bamboo

Anyone want to start a sub-category list:

5 favorite tricks vs. 5 Tricks that are hardest to do?

Favorites:

Frontside flips.

Backside Tailslides.

Krooked Grinds.

Kickflip Noseslides.

Lipslides on ledges.

Hardest:

Tre-Flips

Backside flips

Regular frontside tailslides.

Feeble Grinds

Any rail/truck contact trick (im a wuss)

i have a size 12 shoe but generally like skinnier boards (7.5,what im used to)...should i go for 7.75 or for 8? Recently got on my friends deck and forgot how fun skateboarding was

supreme decks suck? How do i know if a board is good or not?

about your set up spaceman i don't know about the bamboo deck. never tried one, but i haven't heard great things. ccs makes regular decks too i think, or just get a blank if you're trying to cut costs.

Whoa a bamboo skateboard? Craze. I was just thinking about that the other day, but thought it wouldn't work because of the way it grows in shoots.

Not sure how the deck feels compared to maple (probably harder), but bamboo is a more sustainable resource, ao it's environmentally-friendly. Although production would almost certainly be in China, which sucks.

i have a size 12 shoe but generally like skinnier boards (7.5,what im used to)...should i go for 7.75 or for 8? Recently got on my friends deck and forgot how fun skateboarding was

supreme decks suck? How do i know if a board is good or not?

Wouldnt pay to skate a supreme deck, but i would say its time to ride a grown man deck. Im only a size 8 so I stick to 7.75-7.8's. But if your just getting back into I wouldnt really be concerned with deck shape vs. getting a cheap deck to get the feel for what size you might need/getting tricks back.

Whoa a bamboo skateboard? Craze. I was just thinking about that the other day, but thought it wouldn't work because of the way it grows in shoots.

Not sure how the deck feels compared to maple (probably harder), but bamboo is a more sustainable resource, ao it's environmentally-friendly. Although production would almost certainly be in China, which sucks.

This shop I worked at got a few sample bamboo blanks, pretty fucking awesome in my opinion. Really sturdy, never snapped on me. Pop was great too.