Studying Graphic Design

MilSpex

I want to start learning about graphic design in my own time as a hobby, at least at first.

I guess I should play around with photoshop/draw lots but I also want to look at the theory behind it.

Can anyone recommend some good books/resources to look at?

Graphic Design Solutions

Visual Literacy

Those are my favorites.

Also, graphic design has nothing to do with Photoshop. The first book, Graphic Design Solutions, will give you a good foundation for knowledge of the theory of graphic design. Don't ever waste time applying 500 filters and effects to text. that's not at all what design is about.

Next I would recommend learning Adobe Illustrator.

My advice: Don't be a tutorial whore. Learn the program yourself but read as much as you can about theories and crap like that.

http://www.digital-web.com/articles/elements_of_design/

http://www.digital-web.com/articles/principles_of_design/

http://webdesign.org (has pretty good articles)

http://www.webdesign.org/web/web-design-basics/color-theory/

Stuff like this helped me understand uh... webdesign things mostly, but it's pretty universal.

Agreed. First learn color theory, design theory, etc. Draw. With a pen/pencil and paper. Finally, if you want to do graphic design, I also recommend you learn how to program. It unhinders you from the limitations of a program and allows you the freedom to do whatever you want within your creative control. The best graphic designers I know are amazing programmers.

I think you'll like David Carson's stuff. He was really big in the 90s. "The End of Print". There's stuff by Milton Glaser, although he hasn't really done anything interesting in a good while, he's probably the most well-known graphic designer.

You might just buy award annuals. These are what were deemed the best of their time, after all. Keep a look out for stuff by James Victore, really has a point of view. There are also just book jackets that you like, just look at the back to see who did it.

Maybe look for stuff by Peter Saville or Neville Brody as well, very influential Brits.

Chip Kidd just had a book of his book designs out. Sorry I don't remember what it's called at the moment.

Oh, there's also "The History of Graphic Design". It's by Philip Meggs, if I got the title wrong.

These are just who I like, you'll find stuff you like when you go to B&N.

Second the Visual Literacy thing.

I'm on the same boat with milspex but I've been playing with Illustrator for the past few weeks and I've always wanted to be graphic desginer.

I have a degree in business but im being lazy or too busy to school again.

So is it worth it to go to art school? Parson's freaking expensive, is School of Visual Arts a good school to take classes?

Maybe a night class.

I went to SVA so I'm a little biased, I know someone who's taken classes both at Parson and SVA, he though Parsons had more real-world stuff thrown in, whereas SVA is really going to drill concept, concept, concept, to you.

Maybe a night class.

I went to SVA so I'm a little biased, I know someone who's taken classes both at Parson and SVA, he though Parsons had more real-world stuff thrown in, whereas SVA is really going to drill concept, concept, concept, to you.

so which one is better real world stuff or concept, concept, concept????

Art School for graphic design is only what you make of it. A lot of people go to specialized schools, assuming that they're going to get the best education. Judging from the work I've seen from undergraduates, this is not the case. A lot of junior college kids come out with amazing work, better than what I've seen some (not all) of the stuff from RISD, Parson's, SVA, etc. - though admittedly I really want to go to grad school at RISD.

Graphic design, IMO, more than any other creative art form relies on communication, problem solving and cultural awareness. Designers who don't have open minds fail miserably. Design is not an aesthetic, it's a method of analyzing and solving problems.

The biggest mistake I see in underclassmen is the idea that it's an aesthetic and it has to be beautiful and complex.

The best designers know everything about concepts, can write 10000 words about a 1-inch logo. Read up on Paula Scher. IMO, she is the most important current designer. I do like Milton Glaser's work but it's a bit esoteric from a design perspective.

Lastly, don't assume that it's something you can just learn the programs and find a job with. Sure, if you want your job to be laying out papers for the energy company's billing notices, you can do that. Getting a job at a good design firm is *extremely* hard, and even the students who have been in design school for 5 years only have maybe a 10-15% chance of landing a creative design job in a firm soon after graduating. I've seen a lot of portfolio's that are so humbling in their beauty, that took hundreds of hours to make, and still couldn't land a job.

Anyway, just trying to scare you, basically. I have a general frustration with how people view art forms and I'm wrongfully displacing it on you guys.

Everyone who buys a piano don't immediately call themselves a pianist. But for some reason, everyone who downloaded Adobe CS is a graphic designer, everyone who bought a digital camera is a photographer, and everyone who bought a set of turntables is a DJ.

I think that's a valid gripe w w.

I got the impression that Mil was just going to start small. Maybe some posters, cd packaging for friends, t-shirts, that sort of thing. So I don't think going to school full time was a good use of his time and money.

I think that's a valid gripe w w.

I got the impression that Mil was just going to start small. Maybe some posters, cd packaging for friends, t-shirts, that sort of thing. So I don't think going to school full time was a good use of his time and money.

Agreed. There just seemed to be some general interested aside from Mil's as well. I think if Mil reads up on a couple books we recommended, he's already ahead of the game for most armchair designers.

A textbook that I would recommend is Practices of Looking by Marita Sturken is an awesome read about different issues raised by graphic design and related image producing jobs in terms of semiotics.

Grid Systems by Josef Muller Brockmann is fantastic for getting started with grids as his advice is very strict but as im sure you know, rules are meant to be broken.

Also, check out How to be a Graphic Designer without Losing Your Soul and 100 Habits of a Successful Graphic Designer for some pretty honest advice from industry professionals.

I don't know how strong the design scene may be where you live but go to all the events you can and start to talk to people and always be polite as I've heard a few stories about being black-listed within the industry for being rude and impolite.

Finally,even if your design is crap, execute it to the nth degree and have some decent presentation/speaking skills then it might be much better then a perfect design executed poorly and presented poorly.

• 2 months later...

ill have to bump this thread as i found the debate fascinating..

theres so much to talk about, and i do agree that the idea of the modern graphic designer is bastardized..

people overlook the skill and dedicationit takes to truly become good at the craft..

Some people may argue about whether or not it's really necessary, but I think drawing is, and always will be, one of the most integral parts of any visual creative process, unless perhaps you're dealing purely in digital or conceptual realms, like some of the work being done with Processing (http://processing.org/). Rajio might find that interesting, being a fellow design lover with some programming skills.

My opinion: take a life drawing course. I think it's one of the fastest ways to start developing effective hand-eye coordination and also is an incredible creative outlet and is a great introduction to both drawing and understanding form and many other things that are incredibly important to design.

There are plenty of reasons to take one, and very few that I can think of not to. Then again, this is coming from a 17 (as of a week ago) year-old, so take my advice as such. I would, however, as someone seriously dedicated to my craft (I've been seriously doing figure-drawing for over two years now) and also perhaps just as interested in designing (fashion, books, everything) and coming from a family with a long history of illustrators and artists, suggest one whole-heartedly.

Sorry for not really helping at all.

Hi Mil. I think another good way to learn is to study the art/graphics you like, that really bring emotion for you. Just study the hell out of them, what colours/gradients have they used, the line work, the composition, the message, perspective etc. Then maybe just start sketching alot, messing around with different media and your own personal style will start coming through.

Hi Mil. I think another good way to learn is to study the art/graphics you like, that really bring emotion for you. Just study the hell out of them, what colours/gradients have they used, the line work, the composition, the message, perspective etc. Then maybe just start sketching alot, messing around with different media and your own personal style will start coming through.

Thanks man..

I've been involved in the area for eight years now and have to say that if you want to become more active in a work sense then please learn the basics of design. I've looked at hundreds of folios and worked with countless 'designers' who I've got on with very well.

However, when it comes to the crunch if you cannot understand the basics of typography or artworking then an editor, chief sub or production manager is going to be furio. And you will get the sack. Please do not underestimate this fact, somone said earliar in the thread about the 10 or 15% that get a job in the industry. I would say, in my meagre opinion, that the reason this figure low is because the basics have been overlooked in pursuit of artistic genius. My advice is to keep your folio concise and never ever miss a widow. And please change your images to CMYK before thinking about handing artwork over.

• 1 year later...

from personal experience, i found that learning programs is really the last step in the design process. you need to hone your own personal skills first. draw a lot - look at typography, look at how letters fit together.

photography actually helps a lot, and you wind up using it often as well.

it's not something you get right away. you need to do it over and over. it's one of those wierd fields where it's an asset to have a personal style, but you still need the stylistic versatility to be able to get out of your comfort zone.

theory and schooling won't help you at all unless you have the eye and the skills to back it up with.

for resources, i find picking up any nicely published art or fashion magazine and just looking at their layout is extremely helpful. also, print magazine does an annual issue about the year in design - it's a bible.

sorry about the ranty post.

Art School for graphic design is only what you make of it. A lot of people go to specialized schools, assuming that they're going to get the best education. Judging from the work I've seen from undergraduates, this is not the case. A lot of junior college kids come out with amazing work, better than what I've seen some (not all) of the stuff from RISD, Parson's, SVA, etc. - though admittedly I really want to go to grad school at RISD.

Graphic design, IMO, more than any other creative art form relies on communication, problem solving and cultural awareness. Designers who don't have open minds fail miserably. Design is not an aesthetic, it's a method of analyzing and solving problems.

The biggest mistake I see in underclassmen is the idea that it's an aesthetic and it has to be beautiful and complex.

The best designers know everything about concepts, can write 10000 words about a 1-inch logo. Read up on Paula Scher. IMO, she is the most important current designer. I do like Milton Glaser's work but it's a bit esoteric from a design perspective.

Lastly, don't assume that it's something you can just learn the programs and find a job with. Sure, if you want your job to be laying out papers for the energy company's billing notices, you can do that. Getting a job at a good design firm is *extremely* hard, and even the students who have been in design school for 5 years only have maybe a 10-15% chance of landing a creative design job in a firm soon after graduating. I've seen a lot of portfolio's that are so humbling in their beauty, that took hundreds of hours to make, and still couldn't land a job.

Anyway, just trying to scare you, basically. I have a general frustration with how people view art forms and I'm wrongfully displacing it on you guys.

Everyone who buys a piano don't immediately call themselves a pianist. But for some reason, everyone who downloaded Adobe CS is a graphic designer, everyone who bought a digital camera is a photographer, and everyone who bought a set of turntables is a DJ.

X10000

I go to school for graphic design and I have an internship, and I've learned more at my job than at school and they're paying me. Other than basic design fundamentals, college is paying thousands of dallors for a piece of paper. It's up to you, and how good you want to be.

I've done a lot of research on my own understanding different scenes/cultures, what they're into, what they will buy, and what appeals to them while staying current in design trends to stay fresh. It is important to research yourself and stay current.

I'm in marketing and advertising, but I'm not going to stay, I really want to end up doing strictly graphic design. Ad and Marketing is of course soul sucking.