thomas_highstreet

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • joined 06 july 05
  • style:exotic
  • attitude:hater

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:30 PM

is there even such a thing going on in tokyo area?!? cheap second hand stores, thrift stores, boot sales, garage sales, markets, flea markets.. etc. etc..

?¿

Posted Image

#2 hahnstch

hahnstch

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,371 posts
  • joined 08 august 04

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:36 PM

there is. you gotta search around tho, i found some along harajuku last time. i've heard of px megastore, not quite sure where exactly it resides in tokyo... they have a website at least, try google it

#3 thomas_highstreet

thomas_highstreet

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • joined 06 july 05

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:05 PM

i found PX.. but cant find the bloody address!! hopefully im gonna be renting a bit of a dodgey room/apartment in harajuku area, so should be prime location for a bit of the schteeez spotting!!

is there actually any places thats prices are a little kinder on the wallet in tokyo? or is it all a bit pricey?

thomas

#4 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:14 PM

SHibuya has Ragtag. Also check out Daikanyama, so many to count. Kyoto and Osaka is literally filled with them. In general the Kansai region is more into thrift than the Kanto region...

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#5 thomas_highstreet

thomas_highstreet

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • joined 06 july 05

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:33 AM

thanks DJ.. good info..

yeah i will hopefully visit kansai for a while, [osaka + kyoto].. so should be cool.. i got a very good friend in kyoto, so i think this should be easy! :)

where have you been when visiting JP?

#6 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:34 AM

Literally everywhere. Last golden week I did Kyoto to Tokyo to Aomori to Sapporo and then back to Fukuoka and Hiroshima in one week. I've worked in Tokyo a number of summers in a row including areas in Saitama-ken and Yokohama. Have also lived in Shizuoka-ken in Ito for a summer and Kyoto last spring. Im currently in New York but will be working in Tokyo for two years starting this September. I personally like Kansai better than the Kanto region. The people are nicer and the food is better but the weather is more brutal. >_< My suggestion, if you are looking for thrift markets is to head to osaka and kyoto. In particular, in kyoto head to Kawara-machi. The entire street is full of really awesome and cheap thrift stores. Plus the atmosphere is so much better than Tokyo since people are more playful with their fashion and so much nicer and relaxed. Also, if you get the chance go to Hakata/Fukuoka at night. The yatai-ramen stalls by the river make the BEST RAMEN. Its literally to die for. My bro and I basically ate ramen and drank beer all night while watching the summer matsuri fireworks and then fell asleep on the beach. Best experience ever. Finally, here is a URL of an online map of all the cool shops in Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka etc. Ask your japanese friend to direct you. Peace~

http://mensnonno.shueisha.co.jp/map/

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#7 thomas_highstreet

thomas_highstreet

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,196 posts
  • joined 06 july 05

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:10 AM

haha thanks alot man.. really nice of you to take all that time to give me some help.. thanks dude!

yeah i read nonno!! haha.. !!(well not read - just look a the pictures)..

so you really think kyoto/osaka would be better than tokyo?

hmmm.. ill probably be there for a year from next summer.. may/june onwards.. what do you do as work? im gonna be teaching english probably.. and trying to set up a clothing store type thing. not sure if it'll work out, but it'll be a bit of a laughh.. haha

#8 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

Yes I think Kansai is better than Kanto. Food is better and people are nicer. I work at an investment bank in Tokyo. Give me an e-mail/PM when you arrive if you wanna hang out. Peace!

#9 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

hi! i am a HUGE flea market whore and my two favorite ones here in tokyo at Meiji Koen and Yoyogi Koen - which is Sendagaya and Harajuku respectively. There is a calendar although it is not always accurate for the Yoyogi Koen flea market as it is way more frequently than listed

http://events.paperl...n.net/month.php

also there are tons of second hand stores in Shimokitazawa!
www.sugarboots.com

#10 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:00 PM

oh yes - and ragtag is definitely one of my favorites as well.....
Edited by sugarboots on Sep 21, 2005 at 07:01 AM

#11 DaBestSpoona

DaBestSpoona

superfreak

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • joined 04 february 05
  • style:cosplay
  • talents:Fingerbang on first dates

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:28 PM

I spent so much time in Setagaya and I didnt know this existed.

Sugar, still teaching engrish?

#12 sugarboots

sugarboots

semibored

• Pip
  • 169 posts
  • joined 04 december 03

Posted 09 October 2005 - 03:11 PM

unfortunately, yes! ugh.

ah - that's too bad you didn't know about the flea markets. they are so fun. there was supposed to be one in meiji and yoyogi koen today but the rain. another in yoyogi koen tomorrow but i think it'll be rained out as well.
www.sugarboots.com