TOKYO MARKETS/THRIFTS/CAR-BOOT-SALES/FLEA MARKETS

i found PX.. but cant find the bloody address!! hopefully im gonna be renting a bit of a dodgey room/apartment in harajuku area, so should be prime location for a bit of the schteeez spotting!!

is there actually any places thats prices are a little kinder on the wallet in tokyo? or is it all a bit pricey?

thomas

• 1 month later...

SHibuya has Ragtag. Also check out Daikanyama, so many to count. Kyoto and Osaka is literally filled with them. In general the Kansai region is more into thrift than the Kanto region...

Literally everywhere. Last golden week I did Kyoto to Tokyo to Aomori to Sapporo and then back to Fukuoka and Hiroshima in one week. I've worked in Tokyo a number of summers in a row including areas in Saitama-ken and Yokohama. Have also lived in Shizuoka-ken in Ito for a summer and Kyoto last spring. Im currently in New York but will be working in Tokyo for two years starting this September. I personally like Kansai better than the Kanto region. The people are nicer and the food is better but the weather is more brutal. >_< My suggestion, if you are looking for thrift markets is to head to osaka and kyoto. In particular, in kyoto head to Kawara-machi. The entire street is full of really awesome and cheap thrift stores. Plus the atmosphere is so much better than Tokyo since people are more playful with their fashion and so much nicer and relaxed. Also, if you get the chance go to Hakata/Fukuoka at night. The yatai-ramen stalls by the river make the BEST RAMEN. Its literally to die for. My bro and I basically ate ramen and drank beer all night while watching the summer matsuri fireworks and then fell asleep on the beach. Best experience ever. Finally, here is a URL of an online map of all the cool shops in Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka etc. Ask your japanese friend to direct you. Peace~

http://mensnonno.shueisha.co.jp/map/

haha thanks alot man.. really nice of you to take all that time to give me some help.. thanks dude!

yeah i read nonno!! haha.. !!(well not read - just look a the pictures)..

so you really think kyoto/osaka would be better than tokyo?

hmmm.. ill probably be there for a year from next summer.. may/june onwards.. what do you do as work? im gonna be teaching english probably.. and trying to set up a clothing store type thing. not sure if it'll work out, but it'll be a bit of a laughh.. haha

• 4 weeks later...

hi! i am a HUGE flea market whore and my two favorite ones here in tokyo at Meiji Koen and Yoyogi Koen - which is Sendagaya and Harajuku respectively. There is a calendar although it is not always accurate for the Yoyogi Koen flea market as it is way more frequently than listed

http://events.paperlantern.net/month.php

also there are tons of second hand stores in Shimokitazawa!

www.sugarboots.com

• 3 weeks later...