You're my new home, Moscow!
Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:44 PM
So, I just recently moved to Moscow after a good 1+ year in Copenhagen. I’ll be here working for some time so I'm giddy to setup shop and hit the streets.
Any Superfuture heads out here?
As usual, I did no homework before moving so hopefully there are some people who can help with any of the following because asking people at work nearly ruined things for me in the UK and Denmark (never trust em, kids):
1. Got any recommendations for any studios / 1 bedroom flats in the downtown area? Anything that allows me to stumble home from the bars/clubs would be nice. I don't have a budget yet so let's disregard cost for now, and I plan on taking the metro to and from work.
2. Anyone have any recommendations on the fastest way to learn Russian? Mates back in London and Philly have done their best to convince me that all these Gentleman's clubs around here are a sure fire way of meeting possible tutors but nahhhhhhh (they aren't too funny, you're right)
3. I noticed that Tiefschwarz played at Mio once and acts like Felix Da Housecat play at Fabrique (it's scandalous that there is a Fabric in every city). The reviews seem adequate for these places. If anyone has some solid clubs / bars that they can recommend for electro-house or indy, I'm down. Of course I'll continue combing Superfuture and the net for goodies.
Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Maybe I'll run into some of you fellow Superfuturists in this lovely metropolis. The city has blown us all away so far.
Much thanks for the slightest bit of help and take care.
Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:57 PM
An avid Moscow fan here. I'll ask my friend Ivan to help you out with your questions.
Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:22 AM
Good lookin' out, Andreas!
Any word? I haven't heard a peep and I'm chompin at the bit over here
Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:28 PM
Well, here are some replies.
1. Uhm, it's not piece of cake. My friend from New Zealand was using http://flatmates.ru/eng/ They have both rooms and flats. He found some deals, but still found his flat from another.
2. Find a Russian date images/icon_smile_cool.gif You may use some dating service like http://www.cuteonly.com/ or something. Also, expat.ru lists some venues for both expats and locals who're often interested in learning English (and will teach you Russian). Finally, they have some classifieds. Some tutors ask for a fee, others just want to make some friends/lovers/etc
3. I'm not a pro here since im a co-owner of a HIP-HOP store For hip-hop, good clubs are Fabrique, Infinity, B-Club, Mio, Mix, Propaganda, Garage etc. And they all are different.
Posted 06 June 2005 - 08:40 AM
Thanks for the direction, Ivan. I'm familiar with some of the sites you mentioned so I'll just keep running with those to secure a place.
It's a small world when I'm here working for one of your clients, I think I've been using your icons for a minute (tho' I don't think I got them from your site) and I just strolled by your shop this weekend.
Speaking of hiphop, as long as they play Dipset material, I'm game. My brother and the good ol Philly Hollertronix crowd are responsible for that.
For those of you coming to Moscow, I've sworn myself to doing some write ups for it after keeping so damn quiet on Leeds, London, Copenhagen, Munich, Bangkok, etc etc.
If anyone knows how to get involved in some bball leagues, please let me know.
Over n out
Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:06 PM
Quote: It's a small world when I'm here working for one of your clients
Btw, here's the end of the story about my friend. He found a flatmate still being abroad; she was a kind old lady and she had a 2-room flat. When he came, she was herassing him and finally offered living for free if they share a single room. Wow.