Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

The avalanches can definately be considered electronic.

Just to through some more shit out there, some more commercial some not so:

VHS or Beta

Soulwax

Miss Kittin

Whomadewho

George Thomson

Scandal Inc

The Knife

Booka Shade

Thomas Schumacher

Daft Punk

Aquasky

Linus Loves

The Crystal Method

Scenario Rock

Bagraiders

Tiga - I FUCKING LOVE TIGA'S MIXES

Baxendale

PCB

Tiefschwarz

Chromeo

i used to like chromeo. maybe it's the hype, but they bore me too death

codebreaker and 33hz do that 80's electro-rap thing so much better.

avalanches are great and like you state are def "electronic," but i don't think they're too electro/nu-rave (for the thread's general context).

i hate whomadewho's green version acoustic album version.

yeah, i give the flyer props for the nitzer ebb quote.

i know it's kinda gay, but who else is into that whole frisco disco shit??

do new yorkers not like this? c'mon admit it!

i don't care i still like the paradise boys, turbo tito and all they shit.

no, because of the no drugs policy. and because none of the artists mentioned are indie-dance/electro/neu-rave/disco.... i admit house, but i think onemancult meant disco-house for this thread.

Haha, purple suit? I don't know who that would be but my friend wants to get bartenders because the ones they have do suck.

i would also suggest figuring out something more efficient in coat check, last time

i went it took a goddamn hour to get my shit back.

no, because of the no drugs policy.

i'd need to take drugs in order to attempt to put up more than half of the

artists slated for that event. "we have clean water for all you responsible

adults out there ready to enjoy infected mushroom boring you to death."

i did, indeed, mean disco-house. i was hoping my liberal use of slashes

would get the point across.

however, jmatsu, apparently there was more than 5 of us. good call? good call.

good call.

what music blogs do you (or anyone on this thread who knows wtf we're talking about) lurk? maybe it's not a good idea to post them. all of the ez share might reach their download limits.

i was wondering how you, or friends of yours got into to this shit. me: punk-hardcore-emo-punk again-postpunk shit-electo/disco/thenameof this thread.

i still listen to other kinds of genres though.

i was wondering how you, or friends of yours got into to this shit. me: punk-hardcore-emo-punk again-postpunk shit-electo/disco/thenameof this thread.

i still listen to other kinds of genres though.

It was mostly the breaks sound that did it for me - freq nasty, aquasky, freestylers, plump djs.. shit like that. I admit i listened to the prodigy years previous but my liking for electronic stuff didn't really go past them untill i listened to breaks.... and took drugs of course.

It was mostly the breaks sound that did it for me - freq nasty, aquasky, freestylers, plump djs.. shit like that. I admit i listened to the prodigy years previous but my liking for electronic stuff didn't really go past them untill i listened to breaks.... and took drugs of course.

i feel this. i didn't mention it, but i had a love affair with triphop and big beat for a while. i've always liked rare groove inspired breaks, not so much "break-beats" though. man, australia has got it going on of late. why doe the van she get so much love???

i'll shoot you a PM with what i'm currently reading, probably nothing you don't already know about. if anyone else is interested, let me know via PM.

ive always been into a wide variety of music, from death metal to dolly parton..

various electronic genres were always part of what i was into, but i guess what has really turned me on to the stuff we're talking about is that i'm totally fucking sick of like, indie rock and a lot of rock music in general, which was a big part of my musical interest... i think that this relatively new movement of 'alternative' dance music artists and groups is the most vital stuff happening right now in music.

i'll shoot you a PM with what i'm currently reading, probably nothing you don't already know about. if anyone else is interested, let me know via PM.

ive always been into a wide variety of music, from death metal to dolly parton..

various electronic genres were always part of what i was into, but i guess what has really turned me on to the stuff we're talking about is that i'm totally fucking sick of like, indie rock and a lot of rock music in general, which was a big part of my musical interest... i think that this relatively new movement of 'alternative' dance music artists and groups is the most vital stuff happening right now in music.

yeah, i've been listening to alot of metal as well. obviously the saviors, prietess, and about a year ago i made it a point to buy all things kemado. if you have any good kreator or hawkwind(not deathmetal) shit please make some reccomendations.

i have recently started revisting postpunkjunk because they switched to zip files.

i think that this relatively new movement of 'alternative' dance music artists and groups is the most vital stuff happening right now in music.

I think its mostly fuelled by modular records at the moment. Keep an ear/eye out for the ghosts. They have been touring with alot of the modular bands and are getting alot of attention - will surely be signed soon. Really awesome sound - not really electro but i think they will head in that direction as they progress.

http://www.myspace.com/theghostsms

i loves me some postpunkjunk. one of the best record-saving blogs out there; there are very few of them covering post-punk and new wave stuff.

---

i was never into electronic music when the big wave of 'electronica' happened here in america, i mean, i was into prodigy for the singles, but shit like the chemical brothers and zero 7 and all the other groups that crossed over here in the US always grossed me out.

I think its mostly fuelled by modular records at the moment. Keep an ear/eye out for the ghosts. They have been touring with alot of the modular bands and are getting alot of attention - will surely be signed soon. Really awesome sound - not really electro but i think they will head in that direction as they progress.

http://www.myspace.com/theghostsms

yeah, modular has made an impact, but i don't blame them completely.

ed banger and kitsune deserve a lot of credit.

can't forget the neu-rave stuff coming out of london; which i am a big fan of.

a lot of breakcore and hardcore sounds being woven into the mix sound really

fresh right now, like DJ Silverlink and DJ Scotch Egg. Shitmat, too.

as far as NYC goes, Rub n' Tug have introduced a lot of people to a lot of

sounds that normally weren't getting much play here, space disco and early italo

and electro.... i dig that stuff too.

i feel this. i didn't mention it, but i had a love affair with triphop and big beat for a while. i've always liked rare groove inspired breaks, not so much "break-beats" though. man, australia has got it going on of late. why doe the van she get so much love???

Yeah Australia, well at least Sydney, has really been engulfed by the whole alternate dance scene that it isnt really alternate if you know what i mean. Well alot of it still is but it is totally the flavour of the month here. In the last few years the cycle has moved from house to breaks to dirty electro pop stuff and the later will probably stay around the longest because its so diverse and still has that underground element which people love.

Oh and Vanshe... i really like them. I think they are so popular were I am from because they bust out with alot of different stuff. Their live acts have that perfect balance of pop/rock/electro and their dj sets are just nuts sometimes. Try and get your hands on their remix of daft punks around the world.

good call.

what music blogs do you (or anyone on this thread who knows wtf we're talking about) lurk?

http://fluokids.blogspot.com/ and http://www.discobelle.net/ are your best bet. Discobelle is a more diverse blog and they both kind of cross post the same stuff.

Top songs right now:

Justice - D.A.N.C.E

Kelis - Bossy (Alan Braxe and Fred Falke Remix)

Space Cowboy - My Egyptian Lover

Michael Gray - The Weekend (has a bangalter feel, but I guess most all disco-house does)

Uniting Nations - Out of Touch (also has that bangalter sound )

Midnight Juggernauts - 45 and Rising

Teki Latex - Les Matins de Paris (Surkin Remix)

Aloud - Sex and Sun Part II

i would also suggest figuring out something more efficient in coat check, last time

i went it took a goddamn hour to get my shit back.

was it the little asian dude or the real tall dude?

anyone have any i-f songs they could share with me. that stuff is impossible to find unless you collect records.

is that story about van she true where they all showed up to an audition for a metal band and ended up making up a band that it is now? that sounds funny. i've been noticing disco and metal kinda overlapsing. for exmaple DFA1979 dude is now in MSTRKRFT.

what's everyone think of Justice's new track- a welcome change of pace or would you rather see them stick with what they've become known for?

i prefer phantom to d.a.n.c.e.

Top songs right now:

Justice - D.A.N.C.E

Kelis - Bossy (Alan Braxe and Fred Falke Remix)

Space Cowboy - My Egyptian Lover

Michael Gray - The Weekend (has a bangalter feel, but I guess most all disco-house does)

Uniting Nations - Out of Touch (also has that bangalter sound )

Midnight Juggernauts - 45 and Rising

Teki Latex - Les Matins de Paris (Surkin Remix)

Aloud - Sex and Sun Part II

out of your list i am feeling space cowboys's my egyptian lover the most. the midnight juggernauts is great, but this has been played to overkill.

justice's new track is just not doing it for me.

was it the little asian dude or the real tall dude?

QUOTE]

the real tall dude. i mean, yeah, he was overwhelmed. but an hour is kind of ridiculous.

---

its funny, i have this weird theory that the reintroduction of dance music into pop consciousness happened with the nu-metal bands of the late 90s. does anyone else

remember how every single nu-metal band had a new wave cover they did, if not being totally influenced by new wave, a-la-Orgy?

all those bands and their fans were going apeshit for "shock the monkey" covers before the rest of the world caught on. i think we owe nu-metal an apology.