gettin around in paris

smallkuku

It'll be hard to find a job there if you do noy speak French. I've met a lot of foreigners in Paris and every single one of them mastered the French language. Ofcourse, it all depends on what kind of work you want to do.

reporter: "what do you think about western civilization?"

gandhi: "i think it would be a good idea."

You should try to speak French first. It doesn't matter if you CAN'T speak it - just a smile and a bonjour, pouvez-vous m'aider or something simple will suffice. If they realise that you don't speak any French, then they'll help you out. Unless you're so obnoxiously American/English/typical foreign tourist.

But to live there for a year, you should really learn how to speak French.. you'll have a much better time.

Oh and I just lived there for a year myself studying, so.. PM me if you have any questions or anything.

so i burnt a fire for a lost desire

Edited by girlwonder on Jun 2, 2006 at 06:18 AM

Quote:

are most french people willing to speak english with you??

--- Original message by smallkuku on May 30, 2006 06:08 AM

like others said, not really. first of all, a lot of french don't even speak english so even if they wanted, they can't speak the language. ppl always ask you for cigarettes in the streets (it's really annoying) and i always reply to them in english as if i don't know french (which i do, i'm french canadian). you'd be surprised that the majority of these people can't even ask for a cigarettes in english (which is like first grade english). the vast majority of companies don't have english language services so doing normal things might be very difficult (opening a bank account, getting a cell phone etc). another thing is that american/english are not the french favorites so if you open a conversation in english , they immediately think of you as an ugly tourist. but like other said, trying a bit of french goes a long way. and don't expect to find any english information anywhere apart from the tourist office. but Paris is a really nice city and learning french is not impossible so if you spend so time on it, you should be fine.