Reykjavik in the summer

subhuman

Hello folks

I know this has been a thread before but that was in 2004 so need an update. Thinking of going to Reykjavik in late June and wanted the real lowdown. Cool places/bars to check out, great restaurants to eat at, cool music events, any unique offbeat things to do etc. Stuff you don't find in Time Out. I've heard mixed reviews of Hotel 101 but would appreciate some opinions of people who've stayed there. Namely is it worth it? How long do you think you need in Reykjavik?

Cheers

Interesting article in CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/DESTINATIONS/03/22/iceland.ap/index.html

I would like to go as well, and have been to Sweden/Finland before; out of curiosity why did you choose Iceland over the other Scandinavian countries? Anyhoot, I don't know much about it, but for the love of God, enjoy the women!!!!!!!!!

i was in iceland last year...rvk is an awesome town and damn the girls there are so epic...

i would suggest staying in a guesthouse if youre going to be there during the summer as hotels get expensive in the summer months, and all you really need is a place to crash. wherever you stay, just make sure youre within walking distance of laugavegur (not hard to do), because basically all of the stores, restaurants, bars, clubs etc are either on or just off of that street...seriously, just walk around, you'll see everything of consequence.

you can easily explore all of rvk in like 3 solid days. just make sure at least one of those days is fri or sat so you can experience the awesome nightlife...just remember to hit up vin bud and get niced before hitting the bars, as drinks are ridiculously expensive.

food is quite good pretty much everywhere you go, although expensive (with the exception of chip shops/pizza/hotdog joints)...the fish especially is so so so good. make sure you dont leave iceland without trying hakarl and svi ;)

the lonely planet iceland guide is pretty solid. i recommend it especially if youre going to be exploring other parts of iceland too.

most importantly, stop in igulker (clothing/record shop), pick up a forgotten lores cd, and say hi to carmen.

• 2 weeks later...

you absolutely have to be there on a friday or saturday. i went last summer, arriving on a friday morning and leaving monday. stayed at the 101.

the 101 was very nice and simple. the whole city is very expensive so i wasn't surprised at the hotel price.

i would not suggest shopping in reykjavik, save your money. definitely rent a car and drive around one day for the scenary.