BAPE WORKSHOP FINALLY OPEN!

gamma888

The problem is that it's not all good. Too many brands rest on their laurels and charge a premium for products that are poorly constructed or totally lacking in originality when solid construction and innovative design is what made people take notice in the first place. Anyone who cares about quality and creativity is going to call bullshit.

Quote:

erm...do you actually know how many percent on average the retail price of a BAPE tee is increased from the cost of production? And there are many tee-shirts out there with similar qualities or even better that don't even cost half as much as a Bape tee-shirt.

If you have done your research and know Nigo's strategy thoroughly well from day one since he started, you'll know that his justification for the high price is that as long as he makes it hard to get and limited, people(dumb) will be willing to fork out money like nobody's business...and in Japan, basically the majority of the youth. Sorry, it's blunt but everyone who knows Japan knows it's the truth.

--- Original message by dickhead on Dec 16, 2004 02:02 PM

Dickhead:

Yes, bape's percentage markup from wholesale to retail is most likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 400%. Average for anyone who has their own brand and sells in their own store is 300% or so depending on the product and normal retail markup is 200%.

In my experence the best streetwear tees come out of Japan, they all end up costing between $75-$100 US.

who does a better cheaper tee? Silas? Duffer? the fit on them is pretty bad and the quality isn't as good. Give me that $25 tee that is better quality than Bape, I'm all for it.

I have done my research on Nigo. It is no suprise that he is where he is. He was mentored by the correct people and had all the right connections, People like Mr Fujita made him, produced his clothes pushed him.

If you have the connections he and the other kings of that culture do it is way easier to make a brand popular. In order to make it in that culture it needs to have the claim of exclusivity. High end streetwear kids in japan need that allure. Bape hasen't had it in japan in a long time, only kids from the suburbs of japan wear bathing ape, that's why he is expanding to the US. The market is ripe for him. He can come in and take hold. Even in London they rely on tourst business, because most of the kids there are over it.

Anyone who ever buys any t-shirt with a graphic on it is buying into something, a culture a look, hype, a lifestyle. it's marked up a few hundred percent and sold. everyone knows a blank stock tee costs $3.00

so why even pay $25? because you aling yourself with something, a band, a brand whatever.

hopefully you're not still banging your head against the wall.

wow... never thought that this thread would last longer than 2 pages... i know that bape's losing its audience, and it seems like many want the BAPE authencity that they have the URGE to purchase bape products from bape shops only.

if nyc shop comes up with many us limited edition, bape would put itself back to the market with many japaneses flocking to the shop.

also, heard rumors that it took bape forever to open the shop due to U.S. copyright infringement (planet of the ape and bape logos)

this is probably a topic for another thread but I think American Apparel makes a horrible men's T-shirt.

-It's thin

-It's clingy

-It has no lasting form

-It shrinks like hell

-The neck is flimsy and too scooped.

Kind of like how every other blank makes awful woman's tees by basicaly trying to replicate their men's tees for women. AA does the same thing, But vice versa.

I don't know how many times i've seen a great shirt with a design i loved and never bought it simply because it was printed on AA.

Triple A is pretty good. Most stock tees these days seem to be boxy and big at the neck. I have a triple A on brown that is almost exactly a supreme tee. Murina is decent as well as Anvil.

I'm not even going to get into american apparel. I feel the same way everybody else does on here. I need to hide my love handels and man boobs. It's too bad cause I really like my Clarendon tee. need to loose some lbs.

Supreme tees are pretty damn good, the past 3 or so years they have been consistent. before that they were good but shrunk a bit short, and before that (around 98' or so) they were super boxy. My only problem with my supreme tees is that on a few of them, the seam on the neck is ripping out. I haven't purchased supreme in 2-3 seasons so I'm not sure if it still happens.

Natural Born and The Cut used to be on these tees as well, I have a few that are 4 years old and I still rock them on the regular. No neck rippage either.

Nothing beats the quality of the japanese brand cut and sew tees though. Soft and thick like old school beefy tees but better wearing.

I think Supreme was being manufactured in Vancouver at a place called triumph...don't quote me on that though. It was definitely (and very well could still be) made here at one point.

Never messed with a murina shirt...had some anvils. If I was to make tshirts tomorrow I would use AAA. The shirts I have made, I have used AAA.

fuck around and get your waffle split

The thing I like about supreme shirts is the tight neck and the lengthy body (at least on the Large). The old alife shirts were all soft and satiny and shrunk like crazy. Also when I bought a Natural Born shirt about 3 yrs ago it shrunk to a half shirt. WTF? I know heads now who dry clean all their tees. My girlfriend gets big ups for always air drying my shirts, but to be honest a Supreme shirt can survive a dry or 2 and still be good to go. Recon is getting better fitting shirts now too if feels like.

Oh wait....also Wtaps are great cotton but weird boxy cut. Park Walk was wider than it was long when I tried to cop in London.aNYthing is pretty good, close to Supreme. Bape was always a gamble years ago, (stressing me in Recon) but I think its better now. Acronym is the best shirt right now for my fucked up body. That is definitly the shit right now IMO. peace

Supreme shirts to me have the best fit . They stay long and still tight in the neck after many washes.

American Apparell shirts have to be the worst fit ever. I had XL that shrunk after one wash to almost a small. Anyone ever buy shirts at Prohibit ? It seems like they print on what ever they get their hands on.

Their shirts are way inconsistent. Zoo york used to make some great fits back in the early 90's when all they did was skate shit but now they suck.

Went to the new Bape store today and I like the design of the store but the product seemed low quality.

Don't get me wrong they have some nice stuff I just don't think the quality is up to par with the price. Have to give Nigo credit though he sure can turn a profit. There were like two people inside so if you go don't worry about lines or aNYthing.

Quote: The thing I like about supreme shirts is the tight neck and the lengthy body (at least on the Large

agreed.

I too hate American Apparal shirts, can't stand the fit. The design of the bape store is nice, i'm not a fan of the product however.

I like the shirts from ASTees.

They are 100% made in USA, and fit great for guys and girls.

There is also this other company that makes just girls stuff called Miami style.

both are great and way better than AA.

Only thing I have ever bought AA shirts for are the girl stuff.

Quote:

If you don't wann rock the BAPE, don't. If you wanna buy it, buy it. Simple as that. No one gives a shit about how many screens are on it, stitching, cotton weight, glitter, whatever. if you want bape, but it, if you want Lee jeans, but them. who cares.

it's a nice shop, skatething designed some good and some bad stuff and you take it with a grain of salt and a bag of cash. If you don't have the cash and doslike the brand, don't hate. Just don't go into the shp and bitch about it. Go to supreme, alife, ssur, recon, etc.

it's all good.

--- Original message by frogeyes on Dec 16, 2004 04:00 PM

I think if you reread your post and edited it you'd sound a lot more badass. icon_smile_cool.gif

Quote:
Quote:

erm...do you actually know how many percent on average the retail price of a BAPE tee is increased from the cost of production? And there are many tee-shirts out there with similar qualities or even better that don't even cost half as much as a Bape tee-shirt.

If you have done your research and know Nigo's strategy thoroughly well from day one since he started, you'll know that his justification for the high price is that as long as he makes it hard to get and limited, people(dumb) will be willing to fork out money like nobody's business...and in Japan, basically the majority of the youth. Sorry, it's blunt but everyone who knows Japan knows it's the truth.

--- Original message by dickhead on Dec 16, 2004 02:02 PM

Dickhead:

Yes, bape's percentage markup from wholesale to retail is most likely somewhere in the neighborhood of 400%. Average for anyone who has their own brand and sells in their own store is 300% or so depending on the product and normal retail markup is 200%.

In my experence the best streetwear tees come out of Japan, they all end up costing between $75-$100 US.

who does a better cheaper tee? Silas? Duffer? the fit on them is pretty bad and the quality isn't as good. Give me that $25 tee that is better quality than Bape, I'm all for it.

I have done my research on Nigo. It is no suprise that he is where he is. He was mentored by the correct people and had all the right connections, People like Mr Fujita made him, produced his clothes pushed him.

If you have the connections he and the other kings of that culture do it is way easier to make a brand popular. In order to make it in that culture it needs to have the claim of exclusivity. High end streetwear kids in japan need that allure. Bape hasen't had it in japan in a long time, only kids from the suburbs of japan wear bathing ape, that's why he is expanding to the US. The market is ripe for him. He can come in and take hold. Even in London they rely on tourst business, because most of the kids there are over it.

Anyone who ever buys any t-shirt with a graphic on it is buying into something, a culture a look, hype, a lifestyle. it's marked up a few hundred percent and sold. everyone knows a blank stock tee costs $3.00

so why even pay $25? because you aling yourself with something, a band, a brand whatever.

hopefully you're not still banging your head against the wall.

--- Original message by CL on Dec 16, 2004 10:59 PM

dude...you're making it sound like I'm hating BAPE and arguing in favour of all the US and UK brands out there...I just don't like Nigo and his brand that's all! I wasn't trying to compare it with any other brand I prefer out there the way you elaborated about. In fact, FYI, some of my favourite tee-shirts are in fact from Japanese streetwear brands!(hardly have any of them though...) And yes they did cost a bundle but they were all much better designed and manufactured than most of the BAPE stuff.

When I choose t-shirts...I don't really care what "look or lifestyle or culture" that brand is associated with. I just go for the ones I think look good. That's all! And yes, most of the 25 dollar tees don't have anything to shout about in terms of the quality. But I dun really care! I just want something that has a nice design on it and is at least of decent quality in terms of the printing. See, I'm not like all the other people here complaining about how "quick and easy it was to come out with a design like that" or "even my brother can do something in photoshop better than that". Fact is, I simply don't think too much about that stuff! I just want something that's worth my money coz I really liked it plus the fact that I'm not really a big spender really compared with all the other people here on the board and most of the people I personally know who are also into this stuff. So in other words there are a lot of

oh...funny...I actually wasted my time typing a long winded piece of crap as a reply to CL's posts and forgot to copy it so now it vanished coz I got timedout again. icon_smile_blackeye.gif Blah! I'm not gonna bother thinking about what I wrote again and rewriting it coz it's a waste of time anyway. I'm out.

Whoever's in charge should fucking remove the timeout or whatever setting as it's clearly inconveniencing and pissing a lot of people off.

I hate everything and everyone.

AA tees are alright, fit and quality wise

they re pretty flimsy n dont come out that good from a wash

but are there any tees that dont need ironing after a wash - if there is, id love to know

i think a lot of you are hating on it cos it just accentuates your guts

maybe wait for the double breasted blazer to come in vogue and all your prayers will be answered

one