Heavy Metal saved my life

triniboy27

Quote:

hell yeah.

pantera.

RIP DIMEBAG. one of the greatest guitarrist to ever live.

does children of bodom count as heavy metal?

--- Original message by steven on Mar 17, 2006 11:09 PM

i'd say COB is more like black metal. a little less viking and dragons than some, but still pretty black. still love hate crew deathroll.

i stick Children of Bodom into the melodic death metal category- while Alexi does often bust out the shrill black metal vocals, the band typically plays off a Swedish-influenced sound that is much more At the Gates than Mayhem.

Everyone should be listening to Behemoth's Demigod .

• 11 months later...

had to bring this up to the top just b/c of the black metal thread... even though this should be in supertrash or superculture...

anybody like death metal here? Shit like Suffocation, morbid angel, dying fetus, cryptopsy, or newer stuff like decrepit birth, severed savior, origin, impaled?

hell even melodic death like the black dahlia murder, darkest hour, and the like?

nice. like any modern brutal death? it's about the only metal I still listen to constantly. just everything about it, the speed, the technicality, it just blows my mind.

i've seen origin in concert twice and they blew my mind nailing each song perfectly. same with necrophagist, even though they aren't really brutal death, just technical as fuck. that muhammad suicmez character... crazy germans.

I just saw necrophagist live maybe two months ago. Great show.

nice who did you see them with? was it with dying fetus and cannibal corpse? that would have probably been an awesome show, but it would of had way too many assholes and skinheads for me to handle.

nice. like any modern brutal death? it's about the only metal I still listen to constantly. just everything about it, the speed, the technicality, it just blows my mind.

Suffocation's comeback record was a slaughter and a half, and their

recent self-titled was awesome.

I can enjoy brutal death in moderate doses, after growing up listening to a lot

of grindcore and goregrind and so on, the inevitable death grunt vocals bore me

sometimes. However, if a band is fast enough or does something else interesting music-wise, I can get into it. Like, I'm totally over Cannibal Corpse after all these years.

i never got into cannibal corpse or deicide, maybe they were too mainstream even in the death metal spectrum. or it might of been deicide's "i hate christ" song after song. glen benton... i don't like him. i just never really liked cannibal corpse. but i feel you about getting a little bored of death metal. i still listen to it, but definitly not as much as I used to.

• 4 weeks later...
techest most ridic death metal ever: the faceless (www.myspace.com/thefaceless). just played a show with these guys and they blew everyone's nutsack off.

man....those guys are seriously pretty fucking good. you can definitely hear the necrophagist/cryptopsy influences coming through, but they're damn good.

one of my bands is playing our first show in over a year in a few weeks....with darkest hour. cant wait for that shit, its been way too long.

not living in a major city definitely has its benefits when it comes to being in bands and getting sweet support slots....in terms of bigger heavier bands, have had the honour of playing with alchemist, bleeding through, converge, devolved, dillinger escape plan, fuck im dead, isis, killswitch engage, nile, psycroptic. cant complain at all.

playing alongside nile, converge, isis and dillinger would have to be some of the highlights of my life.

we have nile and decaptitated coming here in a few weeks, as well as obituary...slayer and mastodon was last night, and behemoth are coming back soonish to rip our fucking faces off again.

anyone here in a band....? im keen to hear some new shit! :)

Guest itsmeJT
Fuck heavy metal in the buttocks.

Death metal and grindcore we can perhaps talk about, but anything involving falsetto vocals, sweep picking, elves, viking or makeup can fuck the hell off.

do all heavy metallers/black metallers/grindcore metallers/death metallers smell or is that just a myth?

is it true you all contemplate suicide 24 hours a day ?

Ah man Black Metal...I really like some of the melodies, but I just can't really fuck with the whole growling satanic viking great odin's raven sniffing a crow corpse in a ziploc and burying your clothes in your backyard for a year thing...it's just a bit much to me. I wish they made instrumental music...although DarkThrone is pretty tough...the older material has that grass roots, Sabbath'y stripped down metal feel to it...good shit.

The classics like:

Sabbath (Ozzy years)

Led Zep

Purple

Slayer

Anthrax

Slayer

Early Metallica

A few songs from Megadeth

Sepultura

(I know I just named both the classic heavy metal trio and the classic speed metal quartet...so here goes some other bands)

Craw

Dazzling Killmen

Dillinger Escape Plan

Godflesh

Earth

Hot Snakes/Drive Like Jehu

Big BLack/Rapeman/Shellac (Albini's sound is like a rusty razorblade soaked in 151 being forced into your ear canal)

i've been getting into some Psych, Sludge, and Noise stuff...obviously King Crimson and Iron Butterfly are great dusty, psychy, trippy bands...eyehategod is interesting on the whole sludge stee...

Other classics include Bad Brains, Misfits/Samhain, Black Flag, Leeway LEEWAY LEEWAY (all boro kings...NYC).

I don't know man...as long as the shit rocks to me...I know I trailed off of the strict metal genre with shit like the 'Fits and what not...but damn, a new type of metal genre is born every month...at least I'm not naming some silly shit like Linkin Park/Wolfmother/Blink182/Green Day/Korn/etc.

Also...most of the early speed metal greats named "Earth A.D." as the album that influenced the high-speed, dark riff-based, mayhem heard in their music.

do all heavy metallers/black metallers/grindcore metallers/death metallers smell or is that just a myth?

is it true you all contemplate suicide 24 hours a day ?

Well, if we're going to go with the big book of cliches...

Death/grind fan (old sense of the word): Hairy, likes beer and fights

Death/grind fan (new sense of the word): Scene kids who 'grew out' of metalcore and screamo

Thrash metal fan: Engineering student, drinks Guinness, mildly autistic

Black metal fan: Smells, contemplates suicide, likely collects weapons and wears makeup, unless from Eastern Europe in which case neo-fascist

Power metal fan: Is a 14 year old boy

Heavy metal fan: Touches power metal fans at Iron Maiden shows