Why should one purchase more expensive dry over 501xx? Nudie SS vs. 501xx

Becks23

The reason I say good ol' 501xx is because it seems so effin popular and well what perks does it have over something more expensive jean i.e. a non selvedge nudie?

-durability? seen lots of nudies ripping in the same place on here, can't vouch for the others

-dye fades out fast after a soak on the Levi's

-weight of the jeans?

-cut doesn't really matter so much, but i do want ~17 in opening (straight sven)

-does fit matter greatly, or is that relative to body composition

Basically, I can pick up a pair of nudies locally for $155 USD (in Canada) or I can have my friend buy me a pair of STF for cost + shipping (~$40-$50 USD).

I'm kinda torn as to what to get

thanks a lot

Well you've done your reasearch, that's for sure.

The reason you're seeing so many pair of STF's is because kids don't wanna spend $150+ on their first pair of dry denim. But with the low price comes low durability and much less desireable results when it comes to fade and contrasting.

Take Note Though. Cut, no matter what, is going to be relative to body type. But without actually trying things on, you're going to have to make that judgement based on the jean measurements and what you've seen on others.

The cut of the Levi's 501's is generally going to be less flattering than that of some of the Nudie models. But then again, it also depends on what sort of cut you're looking for.

If I were you, I might look into ordering a pair of APC's. I have not heard a SINGLE complaint about anything out of APC.

If you have to go Nudie...go Nudie, if you really don't want to spend the money, go STF. You've got lots of options with the amount of money you're looking to spend.

one thing i'd like to understand is how a cut can be flattering. Are we talking proportions, such a somebody with short muscular legs vs. long thin legs would have different jeans cuts look better?

I've been looking into APC, but where can you buy online? seems as though not as readily available.

Nudie is high on the list just since my friend sold me his store credit for cheap :D

Quote:

one thing i'd like to understand is how a cut can be flattering. Are we talking proportions, such a somebody with short muscular legs vs. long thin legs would have different jeans cuts look better?

I've been looking into APC, but where can you buy online? seems as though not as readily available.

Nudie is high on the list just since my friend sold me his store credit for cheap :D

--- Original message by Becks23 on Mar 15, 2006 01:14 AM

you can buy directly from the APC site...they ship from NY I believe

As far as flattering goes...it's up to you.

Are you looking for a tighter jean, a baggier jean...I mean shit, as homosexual as it sounds, guys have an ass, sluts take note. You want the jean to FIT YOU? In general...you don't want it to look like you're wearing a diaper.

Then again, some kids are into sagging. I dunno, it's ALL about personal preference.

You're at a disadvantage not being able to try shit on.

i have no problem wearing unbranded denim such as APC, but i mean there has to be SOME qualities a more expensive denim has over a pair of 501xx's... but whether those qualities are worth the extra money are to be decided by the buyer. Like the other poster said, the end of the road results should be better and apc's are selvedge (right?)

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by Becks23 on Mar 15, 2006 01:14 AM

you can buy directly from the APC site...they ship from NY I believe

As far as flattering goes...it's up to you.

Are you looking for a tighter jean, a baggier jean...I mean shit, as homosexual as it sounds, guys have an ass, sluts take note. You want the jean to FIT YOU? In general...you don't want it to look like you're wearing a diaper.

Then again, some kids are into sagging. I dunno, it's ALL about personal preference.

You're at a disadvantage not being able to try shit on.

--- Original message by WhoGotMeIntoThis on Mar 15, 2006 01:21 AM

yeh it definitely sucks that I cant try shit on, but i'm sure if i ask enough questions hopefully peeps can point me in the right direction.

having said that i'm pretty sure the APC straight jeans fit what i'm looking for... but the UPS shipping scares me... i bought some stuff off ebay for $45 USD... UPS charged me another $45 for duties/handling etc

If you go with APC, size down a bit because by all accounts those things stretch like crazy. Also, not all APCs are selvedge, so make sure you ask.

If you're getting something shipped internationally, always lowball the price and mark it as a "gift" The only drawback to this is that if it gets lost, you're sort of SOL as far as insurance goes.

Depends on what the main factor for you buying jeans is.

If it's durability, then I'd say it's a no brainer to get the 501's. They're pretty damn durable (go to any local construction site).

If it's fit, I wouldn't even mess w/ mail order. Take a trusted female friend to the store w/ you and try on a bunch of stuff. w/ shoes you'd wear w/ the jeans. If this is the case, then premium vs. non premium doesn't matter cause it's all personal taste.

If it's the whole breaking dry denim in thing. I'd recommend ponying up and getting one of the higher end brands people mention on here. The main reason is that these brands will wear in nicer (dyes, fabric etc.).

Pick the most important factor to you and that'll help guide your decision.