What the Fuck? - The Quality Control Thread

onemancult

i tried like 3 ro leathers at c21 once and the teeth were all fucked up so i can see that.

i got a great deal on the shoes but at the end of the day it was only 3 months in and I had to have the entire sole and midsole replaced which to me is completely insane. the zipper on the jacket is the first real zipper issue ive had, but it was a bad one the slider pulled off 3 teeth and fell off. ive also had seams come undone on drkshdw pants and jacket. which i can deal with but again is frustrating.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is true. white baby thermal in large is bigger than black in xl.

i'll echo what was said earlier and state that aa items in the same size in different colors often fit very differently. only thing i'd buy off them are basic tees and maybe their dress shirts since they're relatively cheap and actually fit me.

I'd had to re-sew buttons on almost all the blazers that i bought within a few wears after getting them. While it's not the end of the world, i always wondered how can you sell $1,000+ clothing and be unable to do something as simple as properly sewing the buttons. KVA and Dries were the worst offenders, in both case, had to fix the buttons before before first wear as was afraid the buttons would fall right off....

rick owens trainers and rick owens RY zippers are complete shit.

I had to spend over $100 to have the midsoles, and the soles completely replaced on the trainers, and now im waiting on having the zipper replaced on my rick leather, fun. i dont mind the tees and the tanks tearing up, i think it works. i do mind my knits pilling up terribly and the buttons coming off of the cardigan.

You live in NY right? Where do/did you go to get the zippers changed up on the jacket? My favorite old leathers zipper has gone bust and I don't want to go just anywhere

You live in NY right? Where do/did you go to get the zippers changed up on the jacket? My favorite old leathers zipper has gone bust and I don't want to go just anywhere

im between two places one is a guy from style z, but i havent been able to nail down a time with him so im pretty sure im just going to superior leather restorers on like 56th

The reason buttons fall off - thin buttons on shirts are put on by machine, but with a minimum number of stitches, to economize thread. thick buttons are usually hand placed (doesn't cost the manufacturer much more to do this, but everybody hates to do it and it takes longer) and they use the little tweezer-like snips that sometimes snip out stitches along with the end of the thread they're trying to get at. A trip or two through the washer and the buttons can go. Buttons fall off though, that's why they give you extras when you buy a piece of clothing.

The RY zippers aren't that good, but the reason zippers on Rick stuff and all the deconstructionist shit doesn't pull all that well = shrunken material dimensions and garment processing skews the zipper tape and teeth. Julius stuff used to be exclusively Riri and I still felt the shrunken leather stuff like the washed lamb with the crinkly plackets precluded zippers from pulling smoothly. Metal zippers in general are cool to look at, but from a smoothness perspective, not great, IMO. Riris are nice, but I think YKK makes just as good of a zipper, but Riri is the Porsche of zippers and YKK is the VW, basically.

Rick crepe soles - ay, they're crepe soles, what do you expect? 4 months is pretty good for daily worn crepe soles.

Large batch clothing, small batch clothing, all of it subject to this kind of stuff. You can go over clothes with a magnifying glass and still miss stuff. I think if you get sick of these things happening with clothes your only option is wear head to toe Patagonia and Arcteryx, and wear Tevas.

RY zips are fairly shit in general from my experience. last season DBSS used RY zips (in the past they've used lampo, riri and talon, not sure why they went with RY in their last collection) on some of their leather and outerwear pieces, same smoothness issues as with rick leathers. much rather have a decent ykk zip than RY.

whyred pants. two pairs, both have had nearly all their buttons come off, and the metal clasp is starting to rip through the fabric on one pair.

+1 on whyred being shit.

of all the swedish brands in that range i think acne is the best so far. not too sure about tiger of sweden though.

acne quality isn't exactly crash hot for the price. had a coin pocket half tear off on a pair of hex cash (that was one size too large) after a couple of wears, not like I was holding the contents of a church collection plate in there either.

another apc wtf. measurements from a pair of new cures I owned a while back in size 26:

waist: 29"

rise: 9.5"

hem: 6.5"

a pair my brother recently purchased in size 27:

waist: 28"

rise: 10.25"

hem: 7"

no idea if it's mislabeled or they let the work experience kid use the sewing machine, either way it's bullshit for a pair of jeans that cost 125 euros.

I think if you get sick of these things happening with clothes your only option is wear head to toe Patagonia and Arcteryx, and wear Tevas.

Patagonia and Arcteryx jackets don't cost $2k+. I know theres always going to be product that slips through the QC process, its an inevitable part of the product yield. But that doesn't mean consumers should just accept it and keep paying these prices. If the leather and zips lead to problems, shouldnt that be addressed in the design?

RY zips are fairly shit in general from my experience. last season DBSS used RY zips (in the past they've used lampo, riri and talon, not sure why they went with RY in their last collection) on some of their leather and outerwear pieces, same smoothness issues as with rick leathers. much rather have a decent ykk zip than RY.

RY = cheaper than all of the rest, I am sure. Riris are most expensive, followed by Lampo probably (though I have the feeling they are nowhere near as expensive as Riri) and then the rest. YKK might slot in right under Riri. I have an Ann D duffle that uses an RY on the main #10 zip and then has a YKK jean-sized zip on the interior pocket.

a Riri M8 zipper (that is the #8 guage big zip you find on a lot of trendy shit of the past 10 years or so), single pull, standard configuration, in a length big enough for the front of a jacket or something = $15 or so from Riri themselves, maybe more because the Euro rapes everything. YKK = maybe $12? I bet RY is probably down towards like the $6-8 range.

Guest why?wolf

Polo is the worst, its not the quality tho it's the fit. I have 5 polo ocbd and all fit differently its terrible. It seems as though all their clothing has this issue I have 10 polos all large and there is variation in fit there also. I mean I will still buy it tho I just try on a few of the same size shirts before I buy em..If you dont recognize this you clearly aint been had polo.

Polo is the worst, its not the quality tho it's the fit. I have 5 polo ocbd and all fit differently its terrible. It seems as though all their clothing has this issue I have 10 polos all large and there is variation in fit there also. I mean I will still buy it tho I just try on a few of the same size shirts before I buy em..If you dont recognize this you clearly aint been had polo.

polo isn't sufu approved, ya heard?

Only stuff I've bought and had problems with were my Opening Ceremony desert boots & a knit I also bought from OC... The lining on the interior of the boot tore away from the sole it was originally connected to and causes this weird swishing sound.. i dunno, Was pretty pissed considering the prices there but o well..

I've had 0 problems other than those two items, I seem to have pretty good luck buying clothes that last me.

• 2 weeks later...