Prada - To Trench or not to Trench

Tyler

Hello supershoppers

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if Prada make nice, slm fitting Trench coats? I have been looking for a trench for weeks and weeks but most are enormous and not fitted. I have tried Burberry, Acquascutum, Paul Smith and so on but without success. Most look like a tent on me. I have broad shoulders but a very narrow waist and want something nice and fitted. I am unsure whether to go for double or single breasted - double looks great but they don't look great not done up do they - all that spare cloth flapping about and single breasted aren't very structured.

So, anyone know whether Prada is the answer and if so - how much should I expect to pay in London?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

T

my strategy would be to go with something durable, which prada is not. trenchcoats take abuse from severe weather, and prada coats, though well-designed, don't hold up year after year. you are going to be paying through the nose for a designer trench, so the dang thing better hold up for the rest of your life. speaking of the rest of your life, you may want to rethink a super slim trenchcoat. i don't know, my opinion on these kinds of purchases is that you should go for something classic. i have a classic one from burberry, and it is very well-fitted, and indestructable. if you tried on the ones you mentioned-which are pretty much the best, and they didn't look good, then maybe you shouldn't buy a trench at all? anyway, here you here you are telling me you're thirsty and i offer you a sandwich.

so in that case, look to yoox or bluefly.com for prada trenches. check out dior homme, costume nationale, jil sander, and miu miu for other slim-fitted trenches.

Quote:

Hello supershoppers

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if Prada make nice, slm fitting Trench coats? I have been looking for a trench for weeks and weeks but most are enormous and not fitted. I have tried Burberry, Acquascutum, Paul Smith and so on but without success. Most look like a tent on me. I have broad shoulders but a very narrow waist and want something nice and fitted. I am unsure whether to go for double or single breasted - double looks great but they don't look great not done up do they - all that spare cloth flapping about and single breasted aren't very structured.

So, anyone know whether Prada is the answer and if so - how much should I expect to pay in London?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

T

--- Original message by Tyler on Mar 6, 2006 10:14 AM

I have a cloak trench that I'm extremely satisfied with, very slim fitting and amazing cut and detailing. Now depending on the use you make of your trench you might like to follow the previous poster's advice and get something more classic and under which you're able to fit a jacket.

Second on the cloak trench. Have one from A/W 05. Awesome, slim fitted, well made, plus the details are amazing and you won't find in any other trench in the states (japan is different; lots of awesome trench designs here...).

I actually would have to say that cloak's durability is somewhat hit or miss. Many people off of the fashion spot forum have mentioned of button's falling off and seams ripping on certain garments. In particular, a button fell off of my trench a few weeks ago, but luckly the trench came with two spares and I've noticed some loose treads; but then again, I wear my trench everyday, even took it to Niigata/Hokkaido... I'd say, if you are a city dweller in New York/Tokyo, you should be fine, but cloak isn't known/nor targets the same people that are into london fog/burberry/aquascutum durability trenches...

i have a cloak coat from the first season- only wore it for a long winter and about 4 of the buttons came off- the rest of the coat held up fine, i think they just hired a bad person to sew on the buttons.. which was really disappointing because they had these great buttons- but since they fell off i called in and asked for replacement buttons- but all they had was the buttons they used from the last season (which were just plain silver buttons) so i had to replace every button on my coat to not make it look awkward. ah well. its still a nice coat- if you get a cloak though, maybe you should just reinforce the buttons yourself before you wear it...

All the buttons fell off?! That's terrible. And something that really winds me up about expensive clothes - buttons that are not sewn on properly, zips that don't fasten properly - it's the details that you are meant to be paying for else why spend that much on an item of clothing.

I have just bought a Prada waterproof jacket which I love the style and cut of but I only discovered when I got it home that the zip won't fasten easily and is really fiddily. Not happy. And because it's a size 46 and Prada only order one of each size in everything to keep it exclusive and all the other Prada hops in the UK have sold out of the 46 I am stuck with it.

Not happy.