about hems; baked & crumpled effect

cant_sleep

the stitching at the hem certainly pulls the denim and might introduce a very slight bunching or twisting, but the real crumple comes from the denim twisting (in opposite directions, since the hem is turned on itself) when it shrinks and pulls agains the stitching, post-wash.

cant_sleep - do you have a picture of a new, raw hem that's crumpled? if the jeans are a one wash, or if they've been soaked, or even if you've stepped in some puddles, etc., some twisting will occur. i'm looking at them hem of my raw nudies (a few weeks old, never soaked, maybe a few puddles since i'm in portland) and there's really no discernible twist...

Edited by snugglepony on Mar 5, 2006 at 03:05 PM

I believe ringring pointed out in another context that it's the chainstitching which influences the look of seams. Only chainstitched jeans have that crumpled effect - if you want to hem your jeans and get that look, have them shortened chainstitch (difficult, I know) and do it before the first wash.

I thought that this look comes from washing as well. I came to that conclusion the other day after noticing that my shrink to fits DID NOT have this crumpled pattern. I noticed that a guy in front of me at Arby's had a pair of 501xx's (Old Logger looking guy) and his were well worn and had that crumpled pattern. I figured it just came from washing.

For washed jeans, wash houses can get the crumples by pinching and tacking areas of the jeans with plastic staples and then spraying resin on the tacked area. This then goes into industrial ovens. When it comes out you get that crumpled look.

This eventually disappears with wash.

Sometimes handsand is added over the tacked areas to give it the faked wrinkle look. Interesting things happen when you put tacked denim into a stone wash. The tacks create pockets of fabric where the pumice stone does not touch. When the tacks are removed after laundry you see that much of the indigo remains while the surround area is worn down by abrasion from the stones. This process also creates a crumpled jeans effect.

The best way to spot the tacking process is by eye and touch. If you see an area that looks like it's been folded, simply look for small holes (much like the holes created by those plastic price tag holders). They are much more visible on the underside of the denim.

That's basically it. It's sometimes called 'crow's feet', 'chicken's feet' or 'zampa di gallina' (cockeral's feet).

Resin can be applied by spray or by dipping.

Can be done without tacking (tied with string), or just manually scrunched, sprayed with a bit of resin and stuck under a Hoffman press to set.

I've never personally seen the tying with strings approach, although the possibility makes a lot of sense. The reason tacking is used is because it's quick and cheap. But of course that leaves holes. (on second thought strings may get in the way of the resin)

I would imagine a boutique LA or Japanese laundry would use the strings or other handling intensive methods besides tacking.

• 11 months later...

there are also a slew of tailors who know how to re-attach a hem to your pants after re-sizing it. If you live in southern california there is a rippin' little old italian man by the name of Benny who has been tailoring forever & has a shop called "Spatola".

can someone post some pics of what a crumpled effect looks like? is that the same as roping? I think I have an idea, but I just want to be sure

Damn, I wish I could find a chainstitcher in vancouver

The baked or crumpled effect it's like the 3d wishker above your thigh area.

The best way to spot the tacking process is by eye and touch. If you see an area that looks like it's been folded, simply look for small holes (much like the holes created by those plastic price tag holders). They are much more visible on the underside of the denim.

You can see big hole is because the washing place is too lazy to change the needle..