all over print shirts - vendors?

mlproject

Yeah most companies will just get a large screen but to do it so there is mis-registration due to the bumps in the stitching you would have to get the fabric printed prior to making the shirts.

You'll also have to look around for a screenprinting company that will use such large screens.

if you look at a lot of them it looks like the fabric is pre printed - if the pattern does not match up from the sleeves to the body. doesn't seem economical for short runs at all.

the large screen thing would work. maybe i'll just do some of my own. i know volcom used to utilize that when doing their armpit prints and such, but it seems like most big operations have limitations set by their vacuum tables, etc.

yo if you want your stuff to match up-- make sure to set up some sort of registration system.

recently i did a 2 screen print all over a front and back of a shirt. sadly i didn't have enough acetates so i basically printed 6 times. pretty ridiculous.

i just rotated the shirt and set up tape (like a chalk outline of a dead body) in the areas i needed to place the shirt. then choreograph danced my shirt around the table and printed it 3 times, then flipped it, printed 3 more times, then washed out. well i actually washed out my screen a lot too so it just got really messy.

this is hard as fuck to do.

i attempted to do an "all over" print tee using acrylic screen printing inks.

bedstuycamo.jpg

because i wasn't using plastisol inks or whatever, i had to do a layer of white first so that the orange would show up against the green. so i had to register the orange and the white, then i had to register the black shadows.

the best way to do this is to make a template and spray mount the teeshirt to it so that it doesn't move around.

this one tee shirt, with my limited equipment access, took about 6 hours. and i only did the front. i'm sure if you were doing one color it would be a lot easier. printing "all over" is a bitch. i'm too much of a perfectionist to even try it. even spacing between the printing, how to line up the screen on the sleeves, what to do about seams, this is all shit you should consider.

so basically, if you haven't done this before, be prepared to ruin a bunch of tees.

ericwrenn.com

i am definitely printing one color plastisols on various color tees. plastisol's a pain in the ass since you have to bake it.. and your tater tots may taste funny for a few rounds, but its way easier than having to fuck with registration and white underprints.