California Mexican Food Appreciation

LandoCal126

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
good looks mass super cocina is quality

l

all about las cuatro milpas

Las Cuarto Milpas is by far the best "basic" mexican food you can get in SD. I went there all the time. They don't do much that is fancy, but all the basic things like rice and beans are actually really really good there. If you're looking for an epic burrito with 15 different ingredients go elsewhere. But if you're looking for damn good homemade mexican food, this is the place to be.

Beware, at any hour near "lunch" you can expect to wait in a line that can stretch around the block.

• 3 weeks later...
If you like Gordo's and are ever in Marin. At the Montecito Shopping center there is a place called Puentez Taqueria. The guy who started it originally came from Gordo's. He has exactly the same ingredients and even the same steamer. I highly recommend the boiled chicken. Also, San Jose Taqueria under the Freeway in San Rafael is prob the most authentic in Marin County.

San Jose Taqueria is insane, when I used to eat meat that was definitely my favorite spot. Unfortunately their vegetarian burritos are pretty limp to me,

you ever check out Picante on the other side of 101 also in San Rafael? is on Francisco Blvd past where Circuit City used to be, I am a big Taqueria Cancun guy in terms of SF and Picante is as good or better I think.

Finally a thread on sufu that feels like home :'[

Favorite spots are ::

-Cactus tacos (my brother put me onto this place in hollywood, cabeza taco w/ avocado + cheese)

-bunch of spots in my area (san fernando valley, eg. taco llamas, rigos, bunch of spots i can only name by what theyre next to [ex. spot next to yum yum donuts in Sylmar),

-albertos (asada fries of course),

-paquito mas (theres probably gonna be some haters but the steak burrito makes my day)

Whats your guys' preferences on meat in a burrito? I used to order lengua + al pastor, but now i get asada + cabeza or lengua + cabeza.. no frijoles por favor... salsa verde

Also, horchata is the best drink in the world, then cream soda.

Also, horchata is the best drink in the world, then cream soda.

horchata is good (depending), i'm pretty partial to jamaica though

i need a good recipe for 'meixcan' style rice

this can be either truly authentic mexican or 'california mexican food'

the one i have now works... well enough but it's not great

there's a few good ones in the bayless books, i can pm you in shorthand once i get back if you still need.

btw hancock park in LA is pretty happening, just came from el atacor #11 - 10 fried potato tacos for $6...

omc you must spill beans on mex joints in the bx!

I think i've had too many beers.

I just looked at debaser's post and thought "oh shit! A Mario Brothers food truck".

agree on lolitas, el cotixan, and super sergios in san diego.

anyone in SD ever been to vallartas? its near genesee and balboa in the same square as target and home depot and right across from the el cotixan.

they got buffalo chicken quesadillas. SO GOOD, served with guac and ranch. it's like 6 bucks.

the radio advertisement for mama testa's in sd makes me want to kill everybody and the tacos are ridiculously expensive for being totally mediocre but the mojados de carne (basically fried beef tacos in broth) is pretty damn good. almost worth it as well for their salsa.

...on the other hand the prices are insane so even though I'll go for the soup I almost don't want to give them my money just on principle.

A really excellent taco truck in the Los Angeles area is the one on the corner of Slauson and Figueroa just off the 110 freeway exit. I lived 10 mins away for most of my life and I must say the tacos are top notch. They even hand make their tortillas.

Tacos Mexico is good too. Its a litte taco stand south east of The Standard Hotel downtown.

King Taco is pretty good for a chain of restaurants as well.

• 3 weeks later...