California Mexican Food Appreciation

LandoCal126

560221122_68af22b9f4.jpg?v=0

only good cause it's open 21 hours. prefer lolita's tho.

used to go here at least twice a week when i lived in kearny, mainly for the cabeza burritos

usually hit up this joint now, one of the better i've been to and very close to home:

l

place seems more like a drunk tank than a taco shop weekend nights but you can just chill and eat ghost peppers and hot carrots and shit while watching drama from the bars spill into the place after last-call: shit-talking between tables and barely room to stand. whatever, worth it for a late night california burrito after boozing it up

3935712457_6ab12716e1.jpg

good looks mass super cocina is quality

l

all about las cuatro milpas

img_7516.jpg

la posta usually has my favorite california burritos (but you can definitely catch them when they've been sitting for a while and get cold so its kind of touch-and-go) so i usually get the chili verde burrito with rice here which is just crazy good

l

i think this might be a chain but i've only been to the one off of linda vista - they used to have really good tacos al pastor and soup here. never tried anything else. looks like they've been renovated since i've been driving by like completely so dont know if the food has changed.

does anyone know if that place down the street from here on linda vista across the shopping center with vien dong is still open? the place that was the house with all the plastic signage? it's a woman running a restaurant out of her living room basically in the middle of a row of a housing tract

used to go here at least twice a week when i lived in kearny, mainly for the cabeza burritos

usually hit up this joint now, one of the better i've been to and very close to home:

l

place seems more like a drunk tank than a taco shop weekend nights but you can just chill and eat ghost peppers and hot carrots and shit while watching drama from the bars spill into the place after last-call: shit-talking between tables and barely room to stand. whatever, worth it for a late night california burrito after boozing it up

saguaro's is decent. i'm usually there late at night as well if i've hit up the bars in the area. they claim to have the best cali b in town but i beg to differ.

l

i think this might be a chain but i've only been to the one off of linda vista - they used to have really good tacos al pastor and soup here. never tried anything else. looks like they've been renovated since i've been driving by like completely so dont know if the food has changed.

does anyone know if that place down the street from here on linda vista across the shopping center with vien dong is still open? the place that was the house with all the plastic signage? it's a woman running a restaurant out of her living room basically in the middle of a row of a housing tract

used to frequent super bronco back when i lived on-campus at USD but that was primarily due to how absurdly nearby it was. was never extremely impressed, their meats were just too damn salty and didnt come off as one bit fresh. their breakfast burrito was my go to.

are you referring to filberto's?

filibertos01.jpg

cant find a pic with the sign but i think its got a big yellow looking taco on it. never ate there, my roommate freshman year really liked it. but then again he was a fat ass dude so im pretty sure he'd be satisfied with just about anything containing dangerous amounts of cholesterol.

So does anyone know where the Asada Fries thing originated from? I live in The Bay Area and have not really noticed that item on menus. Seems like it may be a SoCal thing? Or maybe I just don't look at menu's because I am pretty consistent with my ordering for the most part. Would love to try them if anyone knows a good spot in The City....... Kiya?

used to frequent super bronco back when i lived on-campus at USD but that was primarily due to how absurdly nearby it was. was never extremely impressed, their meats were just too damn salty and didnt come off as one bit fresh. their breakfast burrito was my go to.

cant disagree about the saltiness or the lack of freshness but I still liked what I got - I pretty much found everything you'd expect a competent mexican place to be able to do (even like carne asada) to be pretty awful but they made like a couple of really good things that didn't make sense like the al pastor. i do remember liking their breakfast burritos as well.

are you referring to filberto's?

nah i never went into filberto's but it was damn close to their - it was literally a house that had a sign advertising mexican food on it. i'll have to check it when I'm back in san diego for thanksgiving break. You would sit in the woman's living room pretty much. Can't find it on Yelp or anything else. Maybe it was a fever dream.

everyone knows that the best mexican food is found in trucks, not restaurants.

We don't seem to have many taco trucks in san diego that I know of - i've had some great tacos and more regional stuff from ones in LA but I think restaurants have a pretty distinct advantage for a lot of stuff. Do you other SD guys know of good trucks? ive heard okay stuff about the marisco's german one although I heard talk they were selling their trucks.

'calfiornia mexican food appreciation recipes'

i can never seem to get the stuff i cook myself to taste like i want it. i've got some carne asada marinating in my refrigerator right now that i know is going to disappoint me. however, i did just whip up a pretty decent guacamole - put too much lime in so it's a little zestier than I usually like but not bad. also threw in some cilantro, onion, tomato (obviously salt + lime) and then a little chunk or roasted garlic that I had left over from something i cooked earlier and a sprinkle of cayenne. munching on that while i wait for the marinade.

also, a caprisun.

in berkeley

shapeimage_1.png

If you like Gordo's and are ever in Marin. At the Montecito Shopping center there is a place called Puentez Taqueria. The guy who started it originally came from Gordo's. He has exactly the same ingredients and even the same steamer. I highly recommend the boiled chicken. Also, San Jose Taqueria under the Freeway in San Rafael is prob the most authentic in Marin County.

Ok, i'm about to fuck up this thread..

I'm completely wasted right now, but when i sober up in the morning it's all me.. i'm gonna drop some serious Mexican knowledge.

Ok, i'm about to fuck up this thread..

I'm completely wasted right now, but when i sober up in the morning it's all me.. i'm gonna drop some serious Mexican knowledge.

I knew I you would love this thread. Not to mention you are one of the most knowledgeable food connoisseur's I know. Drop some Northern California Knowledge on these folks!

i've never had mexican food in northern california

thinking about driving up to san francisco this summer recommendations of SUPERIOR QUALITY are required

You don't need a list, just come up and hit me up via PM and i'll sort you. I'll even take you on a taco tour of the Mission.

El Gallo Giro in Santa Ana is legit for tortas, tacos and aguas frescas (24 hr and packed with mexicans), I wouldn't get a burrito there though: http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-gallo-giro-santa-ana

The best burritos I've had are in Norcal. My favorite is El Toro Taqueria near the Mission police station.

This site is pretty good for finding taquerias in SF: http://burritoeater.com/main.php

Who in LA hits up El Chato Taco Truck late night? Shit is bananas.

frequented a couple really quality trucks in the pasadena area while i was living there over the summer, never really kept track of the names though.

there's not many activities in the world more pleasurable than taking your friend's tahoe to a taco truck on a hot day and putting down a carnitas burrito/a couple asada mulitas inside an air conditioned SUV. come back to me, july.