australia :: general

TTT

Haha nah man - I would've wondered the same thing. Anyways, I decided to pass on the boots :o I will probably end up copping a pair in the future but for now I'm happy with my avantins being my main pair of black boots. Was scared to beat them up at first but they are definitely sturdier than ppl think.

I'm looking to pick up a pair of those new IS derbies... I wouldn't wear them for work though. Any idea when those are gonna be available?

really sorry again man, I feel like a complete dick for posting that. guess I should be more aware and perhaps less cynical about people's style changing over time (that and make less stupid assumptions). shouldn't be making posts that early in the morning either, fucking humid weather is throwing my sleeping off haha.

new IS derbies are for FW10, wouldn't imagine they'd drop till at least July.

It frustrates me that so many Australian labels can't put out anything besides the same bland and banal crap. I would gladly support more Australian labels if they had the balls to try something new.

And i don't think it is a matter of these labels being too young or still in their growing stages. So many of these labels would be rolling in money (claude maus for example).

more redundancies at work today! I survived (again). Been at the pub since 11. Great Friday as far as I'm concerned. hahaha.

Now... to cop the CCP high-collar or save money in case of future redundancy?

Wow A, I had the impression your company were doing OK with all the government projects. Hope things work out well in the future for you. You can always sell the high-collar if you get made redundant :P

Thread definitely needs more local stuff. there really are a lot of derivative labels here though, some worse than others, esp in Melb where everything's supposed to be "black". don't wanna name names cos I know some of these guys IRL haha. it's like they discovered "gothninja" or something, but don't really understand it so just either rip them off directly or have a half-assed interpretation of it. and this was like 2 years ago, today they still haven't progressed. Too many people here are too clueless in their fashion world view even if they're a part of the industry (designers, stylists, journos or otherwise), and even though there's so much legit labels available here. Case in point: this.

There's actually quite a few interesting ones but do only/mostly womenswear. there are still a few good ones that do some mens' stuff and aren't in that same CM, CON field or started by sufu'ers (whichwe should support by default). favourite local label is definitely ESS Hoshika which I've mentioned a few times here, but there's definitely a few others that are pretty good like Vanishing Elephant, Rittenhouse, dunno if Sruli Recht counts as he's based in Iceland now even though he studied in RMIT, James Cameron was decent when he was still around and a bunch of other tiny independent ones that I can't recall now because I've been out of the loop for months.

Unfortunately, sheep mentality means that branching out is too risky cos people just wanna dress kinda alike (but not too alike). Also, I fucking hate the "scene" here, that is the same fucking gross scenesters that appear at events and just get free drinks and pose. They don't really support the local scene other than appearing, just wanna look FABULOUS. Kids playing dress up pretending there really is a glamorous scene here. Fuck that.

Another problem is that the production costs here are fucking expensive for what is mostly sub-par work. It's so hard to make support local the local industry when the construction and most readily-available fabrics are so mediocre, but comes out to retail at stupid high prices.

Yeah i pondered on adding that, but just happens there aren't that many such labels locally. It's fairly priced, pretty decent quality and designs, so I just can't find a real reason hate on it. Can't find a glaring problem with the label although I'm not an outright fan. Haven't actually bought a single piece from them yet though haha

Completely forgot about reading this thread for a bit. D, the only boot with a small shaft opening I know of is the Devoa one. They're from aw10 construction/deconstruction so not gonna be out for awhile if you want to wait.

Funny that you guys mention Australian designers. I have some store credit at For-Tomorrow and find myself not being able to cop anything...'middle-range' really is a good term to describe it. A lot of the Australian designer items are 'almost there'. It's as if they started with a good concept and somebody threw a bucket of water over it before it got released. This is probably due to Australian culture as Australians are sheep in so many aspects. And even if somebody wants to stray from the herd designing wise, how much of the herd is going to support them? As much as I'd like to support a local designer doing his/her own thing, if it's not up to par I'm still not going to put any money into it.

^ Agreed. Definitely Carpes over Devoa. But it's like comparing two items at two completely different levels. Not sure if D wants to work in his carpes either...or did I read wrong. These were for work so to speak right?

Anybody know of any good basic tees and l/s? Something light and fitted. Bassike doesn't have any stocklists here in Perth for males.

This is the only one that I've noticed with a small leg opening.

not quite what I was looking for unless I were going for this look haha:

spike-spiegel.jpg

was looking for boots that were slim all round but I think I'll stick with derbies for formal/business wear.

yeah looking forward to see the results of the me mo rie collaboration T. random thought but I've realised I don't really wear a leather jacket often enough to justify owning more than one (good thing I've already got the perfect one). hmm...

devoa is priced similarly to other high caliber japanese labels, boots retail for around 65K-75K yen so a lot cheaper than carpe.

heh just the two leather jackets T, realised I'd be satisfied with just the one though. image is from cowboy bebop, best anime ever.

random thought but I've realised I don't really wear a leather jacket often enough to justify owning more than one (good thing I've already got the perfect one). hmm...

Funny you said that D, I held off purchasing the SS10 moto because I had that thought. Now if only I could get something lightweight for when the weather here is too warm for leather...

Perfect one = jut? :D

Cowboy bebop.

Devoas are about 700 - 800aud. Very strong in the last few collections personally, I reckon its worth taking a look at.

Yeah D, the only thing I can think of is low cut Guidis which are normally very tight in the ankle. Julius ones have a very flat and round profile too. Sorry not much help.

Funny you said that D, I held off purchasing the SS10 moto because I had that thought. Now if only I could get something lightweight for when the weather here is too warm for leather...

Perfect one = jut? :D

haha bingo. icon14.gif glad I found that lightweight midwest jacket when I was in japan last year, it's easily gotten more wear than my two leather jackets combined.

haha bingo. icon14.gif glad I found that lightweight midwest jacket when I was in japan last year, it's easily gotten more wear than my two leather jackets combined.

Ugh tell me about it. I'm pissed that I missed out on the MA jacket, if you ever see a Size 2 300BLM1 on yahoo lemme know. Seems like the mainline only has denim jackets.

D, what about the VA cordovan boots on Nag Nag? They look to have a slimmish shaft :/

Not sure if you wanted laces though.

Also, where should I stay when I come to Melbourne in a few weeks? Don't want to pay more than $200 per night, but want to be amongst all the good shopping and drinking/eating spots.

hmm, actually, been thinking... my opinion on "me mo rie" is pretty grey atm.... what i was taught is that, they are just merely collab and reissues.

i think if we look beyond what's going to be produced in "me mo rie", it lacks originality, it's still does not equal the original carpe diems, in a sense it's missing the energy ( the trinity - laurini, altieri, amadei or etc). so it's kinda gimmick/replica than anything else.. : \

maybe i am wrong. maybe i am impartial because it's guidi. but anyway, each to it's own.

but really, altieri need to produce something new with his avantindietros.. or whatever other label he is gonna create.

I agree fen, I wouldnt expect anything new creatively from the collaboration, but merely an opportunity to buy footwear than has not been in production for the last few years. But that is an opportunity I am sure a lot of people will be glad to have.

That's very true.

Sorry.. just some random thoughts that I have discussed with others about the line..... same product but different voice.