m65-- brands?

dystaind

so i've been obsessing and thinking about a new 'winter' coat-- now i know m65's aren't the heaviest, but i like to layer at least one or two under my coats so i figure i can stand the winter here in PA which isnt' too too bad.

things i'm trying to weigh though are-- How warm? how's the fit? waterproof or just water-resistant?

so i've been comparing brands, Spiewak's Meade Field jacket vs. the M-65s from Propper and Alpha. anybody have any inputs or say of one above the other? there's so much advice coming from all over but I want to hear a direct comparison if possible, especially in how waterproof or warm these badboys are.

thanks for your time.

Im looking at the Alpha and Propper Jackets and it says that its windproof and good against the cold with the liner, but I think the Spiewak is more towards what you are looking for.

BTW if you are a medium and looking for one in gray they have em here for 70 http://www.turntablelab.com/clothing/163/290/8945.html?view=closeup

Edited by greentalks43 on Feb 24, 2006 at 03:30 AM

it's actually sold out.

unfortunately i pulled an all-nighter on the 21st, slept a lot of the 22nd, and didn't get the restocking email till last night very very late. fuckin hotmail decided to put it in the junk-mail portion so i never saw that they restocked and i was really really waiting on this jacket to go on sale again.

there's always evogear.com for $96... but we'll see when my paychecks come in :/

btw, circa survive is neat, ever heard of Taken? Circa's bassist came from that band, one of my favorites of all time. they're the band that got me away from awful music.

some cat on here posted up http://www.star-lowrider.com m65s but nobody stated any stockists outside of japan. this one http://www.star-lowrideronlineshop.com/item_list/item.phtml?id=4495 looks dope and warm.

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=5508

Edited by sr20det on Feb 24, 2006 at 06:33 AM

still haven't gotten a reply on how waterproof the jackets are :P that's basically the huge factor i'm looking for, warmth, and water resistance. i guess durability is a big thing too, but i trust that most of the brands making a military type jacket will make them quite rugged in construction.

and i know there have been plenty of threads about m65s, i just dont' feel they've addressed the areas i want to know about, so i started one to specifically ask about those factors-- not just about every other m65 out there. that just comes as a bonus.

If you're looking for water resistance then try to track down a Supreme M65 from this season. Made by Alpha using waterproof moleskin. I'm not sure if the big sale is still going on at Supreme, but they were around the $140 range last time I checked.

Out of your choices, the Spiewak Meade will probably be more water resistant due to its nylon material. The Meade is also surprisingly warm as well for its weight. Only downside to it is that it's not as "authentic" looking as the others.

the waterproof Supreme M65 is fantastic. I've worn it through the entire winter and it's kept me warm and dry.

I thought it was a great deal at $350, but now that it's on sale for close to $200 it's an absolute steal. Pick it up if you're in NYC or LA.

haha.. I'd like one too if someone is heading down.. size medium any color.

edit: actually there're a few supreme items i'm after so if you're willing to do some purchasing private message me

Edited by powerglov on Feb 26, 2006 at 01:11 PM

WILL COMPENSATE! :)

Edited by powerglov on Feb 26, 2006 at 09:39 PM

m65 derivitive i guess.

haha, since i won't be finding a supreme small...

anyone happen to see spiewak meade field jackets around? all the online retailers are out of smalls so i'd definitely love it if someone saw one in store and could pick it up for me? i'd love a charcoal or a black one.

hopefully it'll be on sale since spring is coming. sorry to be such a bother and ask for people to pick things up for me-- Pittsburgh is a pretty dry place for a lot of things. i think the worst thing it's dry for for me is the music scene here has suffered in the past few years. that's another story.

Only thing holding me back from buying the H&M version is the quality. They have been known to fall aprt, literally.

At least that what happened with the jeans I bough last january. 3 months of wear and there was tears in the gooch and the side seams of the legs.

Getsuga Tenshou

Minya is right. The Supreme is mad dope. I got the Brown in the large for $240 and walked out of there like I robbed the place. The last time I was at Supreme, about two weeks ago, they only had the black.

These jackets are warm, not parka bulky, and fit well. Give supreme a call, and if they have it, I wouldn't mind picking it up. I am around the area at least once every two weeks.

-pete