ok... so we see whats overrated... what about underrated??

cheapmuthafukr

i agree wit that too... big yank is another vintage brand that has some really nice denim... i have a western style jacket by them, left hand selvage denim, and its amazing. too big for me tho, so i may sell it. pm me with offers if you are interested.

denim is the new crack

The denim's not fantastic, but I dig Built by Wendy/Wrangler47 stuff a lot, and in my limited experience don't see it mentioned here. I have a pair of their broken twill wranglers, and I wear this tshirt all the time...

http://builtbywendy.com/onlineshop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16399&category_id=288

on a whim, i bought some of the RRL slim fit selvage that's (still) all over ebay. whack sizing (i'm a 33" measured waist and i'm sitting here in 27s...), but for $45 instead of $185, what the hell, right?

SUPER impressed with the quality, fit, and detail. wearing in really nice - i'll post pics in a few months.

Guest Fade to Black
Quote:

Plenty of people love Helmut Lang.

Does anyone have an opinion of the jeans from Jean Shop in NYC? I lucked into a pair and I'm super impressed with them, but I've never seen anyone mention them on here.

--- Original message by mcflip on Feb 23, 2006 02:28 PM

Yeah I would say Jean Shop is pretty underrated....I walked into their store once, great denim and a reasonable alternative for 45 RPM as for as finding Japanese-style selvedge is involved (even though i know Jean shop isn't japanese, hence the -style).

Quote:

Have seen a few people mention Big John, Big Yank denim... where can we see pics of the jeans?

I'd have to agree Edwin on the original topic.I have Japanese made selvedge ones for sale if anyones interested. new with tags (28x34 and 30x34)

--- Original message by sneakeraddict on Feb 23, 2006 02:01 PM

pictures of big john jeans? google, my friend. it works wonders. ok, fine here you go, hope you can read japanese!

http://www.bigjohn.co.jp/

Quote:

levis

--- Original message by cheapmuthafukr on Feb 23, 2006 09:23 AM

saying levis are underrated on this board is like saying sugar cane is underrated....i see a levis post at least once a day on here. i think the majority of you need to look up underrated in the dictionary. underrated and amazing quality and fits would be buzz ricksons. everyone goes crazy with the other toyo brand sugar cane but ask a question about ricksons and no one responds.....why is this brand so overlooked here?..they are easy to get and the attention to detail is just alittle better than that of the sugar canes.

thats because SugarCane 1947, not unlike APC, fall in the prime price-range for overconsumption (mid $100s,), while Buzz Ricksons are more. I am sure if people were buying more Buzz Ricksons they'd marvel over the quality. Personally I love their 1942 Lee Repro.

As for my choice, it's hard to say, because my favorite brands (5EP, Rag&Bone) are already pretty hyped when theyre mentioned.

The most underrated though, I think is Dry Bones. They don't get much love, particularly because they isn't as much info about them online (as opposed to say, Denime, Samurai, D'Artisan, Eternal).

I think in general though, Japanese jeans are overyped vs. their American equivalents. I'd definitely rate Rag&Bone higher than any of the brands mentioned above, but in general the obsession with Japanese culture (and I'm not immune myself) is going a little too far.

i think tsubi are underated just for fit, im personally not a fan of the distressed jeans they do

but as far as skinny jeans go, they fit like you'd expect dior to [but don't], the dee dee ruff rocker [16cm opening], the joey [same opening], they now have the van winkle [stretch which im not a fan of]

teisco.gif

Quote:

Engineered Garments. Whiskey know how much care they put into the details of the clothing... The jeans, retailing in NYC for $175 (Steven Alan) or less, are a great value. Very classic, but modern fit, if that makes any sense. A little like 5EP Straightlegs.

--- Original message by LA Guy on Feb 25, 2006 10:53 PM

While I'm in NY I really wawnt to try a pair on. Sounds like an excellent deal, and jean.

Quote:
Quote:

Plenty of people love Helmut Lang.

Does anyone have an opinion of the jeans from Jean Shop in NYC? I lucked into a pair and I'm super impressed with them, but I've never seen anyone mention them on here.

--- Original message by mcflip on Feb 23, 2006 02:28 PM

Yeah I would say Jean Shop is pretty underrated....I walked into their store once, great denim and a reasonable alternative for 45 RPM as for as finding Japanese-style selvedge is involved (even though i know Jean shop isn't japanese, hence the -style).

--- Original message by Fade to Black on Feb 23, 2006 02:59 PM

i stumbled upon Jean Shop and bought a pair of the dry classic fits last month and i love them.

Edited by imisssefler on Feb 26, 2006 at 06:06 AM