How will the 00's be remembered?

16steps

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
kanye west

Yo I'mma let you finish, but the fish dicks was the best 00's joke of all time!

The decade where we had a lot of mess to clean up, but just sweeped it under the carpet.

The decade where we finally recovered completely from the 80ies. We even recovered so much that we fell kinda back into it, not remembering anymore how awful it was back then.

The decade where everybody was wired with everybody all the time everywhere and everybody was so important to everybody that everbody had to tell everybody everything about everybody and anything.

The decade where borders between many different styles and subcultures vanished.

The decade of heroes and villians.

i always felt that the latter half of the 00's fashion pandered to the inept consumer.

I think its safe to assume that the general masses do NOT know how to dress themselves. This decade, its like "Fashion for Dummies." The marketing machine really took off by CREATING clothing that was flashy and looked expensive. Most people equate expense with taste and voila! we have a bunch of dudes running around in ed hardy tanks and true religion jenas. Women with their black shirt, designer mall brand jeans, hot purse of the moment and flats. By making expensive(ish) clothing more accessible, it created a wave of people who thought "they had good taste in fashion" (sup thedaniway]

well said.

Yo I'mma let you finish, but the fish dicks was the best 00's joke of all time!

The decade where we had a lot of mess to clean up, but just sweeped it under the carpet.

The decade where we finally recovered completely from the 80ies. We even recovered so much that we fell kinda back into it, not remembering anymore how awful it was back then.

The decade where everybody was wired with everybody all the time everywhere and everybody was so important to everybody that everbody had to tell everybody everything about everybody and anything.

The decade where borders between many different styles and subcultures vanished.

The decade of heroes and villians.

I really like this. Esp. the part about sweeping all our problems under the carpet. I think that part is most true.

• 3 weeks later...

This decade was characterized by the internet, which - sadly - is intrinsically linked to a decade characterized by egotism.

never before have so many people been so self aware and so needy. no one does anything anymore unless they hope to be recognized for it by the masses. Not to say I'm not, in many ways, guilty of this myself (I post on Superfuture, and on Facebook), but the blog-o-sphere, twitter, and sites like lookbook, cobrasnake and myspace (later Facebook) have reinforced the need of the average internet goer to be recognized for their "achievements" - whatever those may be.

Reality TV shows and non-celebrities like Paris Hilton and Samantha Ronson only serve to reinforce these trends, and increase the sense of entitlement felt by the already entitled generation born to the affluent baby-boomers. If the 70s was the "me" decade, the 2000s are the "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" decade. (You still aren't looking!!!)

The decade also signifies the death of photography as an art form. I can look on this website alone and see 50,000 pictures taken by whoever, any of which can compare in quality with prints hanging in museums today. This is not due to an increase in talent, but an increase in accessibility. DSLRs are like assholes. Everyone has one. Due to the death of film (and for that matter, developing photos at all) photography no longer requires any discipline. Shooting 1000 pictures and printing one costs no more than taking just one shot, so why limit yourself? Taking a good photo on a D80 when you've shot 1000 in one sitting isn't talent, it's luck combined with a nigh-infallible piece of technology. In short "an infinite number of monkeys working on an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the collected works of shakespeare."

I like to think that most people, looking back on a decade throughout history, have hated it. that people looked at the 50s as the generation where we ruthlessly oppressed Native Canadians, where the Americans fought tooth and nail to maintain race inequality. That the 60s were looked at as the moment where a nation failed to prevent a war, and that each decade following was looked back on with disdain...

But man, the 2000s fucking sucked.

oh yeah - insert requisite hate on environmentalists/conservatives/liberals/Obama/Bush/etc., etc., etc. but I don't think politics has gotten any worse of better. 9/11 was the only thing that changed.

the most significant surge or emergance of a music style in the 2000's is in my oppinion electronic music. never before from it's conception and creation during the 80s and 90s has this form of music ever been this marketable and formed to appeal to the masses.

with the digitalization of photos, the internet and free imagehosting this has successfully made photography easily accessible to whoever is willing to deal with the aforementioned technologies. but has this killed/destroyed photography as an art form?

i strongly disagree that all these people posting images with such high quality will ultimately remove or destroy the job of a professional photographer. even with my limited understanding there is so much more to taking a compelling image and in such a manner that you can make money with it. and i also don't think that that is ultimately the goal of these people, enjoying what is essentially their hobby.

i can't see them making photos of the likes that you would find in any magazine that focuses on either fashion, nature, or sports just to name a few areas. in the end these images require the work of dedicated professionals and not some 16 y/o hipster who got his Nikon D90 and a telehoto and is probably going to sell it in a couple of years.

a bit of wild generalisation never hurt anyone.

It's a review of a decade. For a blow-by-blow, I'll be publishing an encyclopedia on the subject later.

art has died before and still come back

art is dead, long live art

I'm not suggesting that art is dead, but that photography is meaningless as an art form.

There will never be a death of "art" - as long as there are ideas, art will exist alongside science, though the dominant or relevant forms may change. I think music was better in the 00s than it was in the previous 2 decades.

i strongly disagree that all these people posting images with such high quality will ultimately remove or destroy the job of a professional photographer. i can't see them making photos of the likes that you would find in any magazine that focuses on either fashion, nature, or sports just to name a few areas. in the end these images require the work of dedicated professionals

My point is that the pool of talent ("talent") is now so large that it will largely be a watered-down art. Photography was once difficult and disciplined, and now it's easy. I think we're reaching a point where the photographic talent required to take an amazing photograph is negligible, and only the subject really matters.

I would venture to say that electronic music of the 90s was better than the 00s. There was also a much bigger corporatization of music in the 00s than the 90s (although it existed in the 90s and even before, but it greatly increased and accelerated through the 00s)

clopek - it's interesting. On the one hand, it's much easier to produce a good photograph on a digicam, but on the other hand, it's much (MUCH!) harder to USE a digicam than a film camera. Film cameras all you have to know is:

- ASA rating of film you have

- Shutter speed

- Aperture opening

- Focal length

- film format (35mm, medium-format, etc)

In digicams you also have:

- File format & size, compression, etc

- white balance

- saturation

and a billion other things. And they're all menu driven with horrible user interfaces (with a handful of exceptions). The key with digicams is that you can see the results INSTANTLY and delete and reshoot as many times as necessary. Also, to me, the composition is the most important part of a photograph, so producing a really cool looking image of something stupid and pedestrian does not necessarily equate to a "good photo."

My point is that the pool of talent ("talent") is now so large that it will largely be a watered-down art. Photography was once difficult and disciplined, and now it's easy. I think we're reaching a point where the photographic talent required to take an amazing photograph is negligible, and only the subject really matters.

Thats absolutely not true, but if it were true, it would be a good thing. Photography has always been about the subject, not the photographer.

Photography has been democratized, but it's a different kind of photography.

It's a review of a decade. For a blow-by-blow, I'll be publishing an encyclopedia on the subject later.

Oh don't give me that, you've just gone and said everyone is a great photographer, If that isn't a sweeping statement.. :/

The internet has created a wide-reaching platform, and yes more people are participating in activities previously reserved for professionals or students, but what's really changed?

I think it's simply the case of having to filter through more rubbish to get to the better material, seems like hate for the amateurs.