How will the 00's be remembered?

16steps

i think we can illustrate what's changed by using another artistic medium as a foil.

music now has a wider-reaching platform, wherein any asshole can post his music for the world to hear and hope to get famous. cheap home-production equipment and software has furthered this trend. however, bad music is still bad music, a lack of creativity remains the same - if you suck, no one will listen to you (or if you suck enough, Chad Kroeger signs you). The filpside of course being that more people have access to more and more great music as well, and bands that may have never been recognized in the 80s or 90s now have a forum to market themselves without waiting to be discovered.

photography, however, has the help of technology. you can't write a million songs in a year, but you can probably take that many pictures. i said everyone's a great photographer because now, no one is that's the real issue. if you could access the total wealth of photography available on photobooth, will the great photographers be easily discernable from the ones who just got lucky? or is their brilliance, creativity, and technical prowess now washed out and watered down by the sheer volume of people who just want to be a photographer because its really cool. if someone truly dedicates him or herself to the art of photography - spends hours labouring over getting that perfect shot (framing, composing, camera settings, development, etc.), will that person's work be discernible from the person's which was one shot that turned out from a thousand, quickly cropped and photoshopped, then chosen as the perfect print?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes a "great photographer?" Aren't there many "human" elements, decisions, and preferences that go into shooting photography (e.g., picking lenses, choosing lighting, "settings," angles, and selecting subjects)? The "technology" is what gives a photo clarity and allows it to be replicated and consumed on the Internet--but to say that technology alone is responsible for a great picture is somewhat simplistic in my opinion.

I don't think photography as an art form is dead. It's not like the average person can afford DSLR cameras and all the costs associated with things like lenses. And who's gonna sift through all the (in general) shitty--and I mean, shitty--user generated content on the Internet just to find one ore two treasures?

You could make the same argument for music. Music has changed dramatically with the introduction of technology. For example, Artificial Intelligence has produced symphonies composed entirely by machines.

an excellent article focusing on music and advertising in the 00's

The Quietus: A Look Back At The 00s: 'Glo-fi' And The Sadness Of The Advertised Man

"[Major labels] still believe the discovery of music is something that can be controlled or imposed upon a listener. Those days haven’t gone yet, but they are disappearing – there’s too much out there waiting to be found"