shoes with arch support

matt_nz

I have crappy arches and every stylish but simple white or black canvas/sneaker shoe I've come across has a flat sole.

They hurt my feet. I have custom inserts but it only does so much.

i.e. I like my le coq sportif (below) but the sole is paper thin and provides no support. I picked up some marc jacobs hi tops which are a bit more well made but the sole is still flat...

Anyone know of a brand or model in this kind of style that has a bit of arch support?

LE-02628270-1l.jpg

Have you tried replacing the shitty insoles that most shoes come with with Superfeet?

SuperFeetGreen_Sm.jpg

I had all sorts of problems with my feet (flat feet) when I did track, but they disappeared after I switched the inserts to these. I also replaced the insoles in my Redwings with these. The guy at the redwing store also said he recommends them to all of his customers, and they're the first thing he does when he gets new shoes. I'm on my feet 8 hours a day at work and I don't get fatigued. I'm not sure how flat your feet are, but I would give these a shot. Even the insoles in running shoes aren't that great compared to Superfeet.

Try Birkenstock blue foot inserts. I've been through tons of generic soft inserts but these are by far the best. Sounds cheesy but they've changed my life (in a minor way). Before these my back would start to give out and I'd feel fatigued after a few hours on my feet. With these in my back and foot pain are nearly gone. Keep in mind, you do have to use them with decent shoes. My desert boots are great with these but my Sperry's - while improved- are still murder after a few hours.

Damn. this was the best thread on sufu since TOJ. Gonna check those birks out.

Are they thin enough to put over normal soles and not change the size of the shoes much? Or are some of you guys cutting out the original sole or something and if so, how are you doing that?

Go to a podiatrist and get custom molded orthotic inserts, you can just get one set and then switch them around with whichever shoes you're wearing. They're probably a little more than dr. scholls but they hold up well. I have a pair that is 5 years old. I used them in everything from soccer cleats to shitty onitsuka tigers, and they're still in decent shape. They are hard-molded, so don't expect to be gellin', it's like the difference between a waterbed and a high-quality firm mattress. Anyways even without insurance in the US I think they were only $125 or so.

Go to a podiatrist and get custom molded orthotic inserts, you can just get one set and then switch them around with whichever shoes you're wearing. They're probably a little more than dr. scholls but they hold up well. I have a pair that is 5 years old. I used them in everything from soccer cleats to shitty onitsuka tigers, and they're still in decent shape. They are hard-molded, so don't expect to be gellin', it's like the difference between a waterbed and a high-quality firm mattress. Anyways even without insurance in the US I think they were only $125 or so.

+1

makes all the difference. I have the worst flat feet ever, and can wear anything really comfortably (except dress shoe of course) with my insert. Mine were more expensive to make (~$400), but the process is really high-tech (they do a 3d version of your feet, complete with animation to show the "problems" when walking, etch) so i would say it's totally worth every cents. plus your insurance should cover all or the most of it. and if you are running or doing a lot of sports, New Balance does custom shoes with appropriate orthodontic support which i would recommend as the insert can be a little distracting when running long distances because of their stiffness. Insurance typically also cover that so you're pretty much getting a free pair of running shoes (or even sneaker if you're into NB)

the problem with flat feet is really dress shoe where pretty much your only option is $2000+ bespoke...

lol, diamonds, settle down boy.

I used to wear (new) Jack Purcell insoles in every shoe I had, and they were really nice insoles for some reason, but they tended to make all my shoes too tight and I looked hella realmyth stuffed shoe lifter steez in them...

Yeah, I have the molded plastic ones, and I can say they improved my daily activity a lot more than superfeet did (they were still good tho)

I should be getting those permanent orthotics sometime next week which are like 400 bucks unless my insurance covers it..

I have totally flat feet and have never been able to wear chucks, but a few years ago I discovered PF Flyers, which I can wear all day.

Everyone thinks they're chucks, except old dudes who get all excited to see PF Flyers for the first time in 40 years.