1st pair of raw jeans, any suggestions?

roundhouse

hello superfuture peoples, (btw im a denim noob)

im thinking of getting some raw denim but i dont know what would be a good first pair to experiment with, . im thinking of levi's 501xx any other suggestions?

oh and some other questions about raw denim. (getting a bit annoying am i)

- should i wear them jeans for a while then shrink in warm water?

- and would raw denim shrink only in the first wash or do they shrink every time they are washed?

thanks~~

______ ?

Guest Berget__

Try to search a bit and you should find a lot of threads with great info about your question. Ill try to help you tho. Levis is a good first pair of raw jeans. My first raw pair was Nudie...but only since they cost A LOT less here in sweden. Dry non-selvage for about 110$. Your other questions depends a lot on the jeans. If you have unsanforized jeans they will shrink about 10% in the first wash. Its a good idea to shrink them up before any wearing. If you have sanforized jeans they shouldnt touch water before they are broken in since they will lose that nice shine in the fabric they have when they are dry. All jeans, doesnt matter if they are sanforized, will shrink about an inch every wash. but they will stretch out to their normal size in a matter of hours.

hope I've helped

I aint gotta get money man money get me

• 3 weeks later...

Any type of higher end Levi's raw denim is good as a starter. The most important stage of breaking in raw denim (if thats your plan) is the first initial few washings. If you want the jean to form fit specifically to your body try doing the old "5 steps to great Looking Denim":

1) Fill a clean bathtub about 1/4 of the way with very warm water (not boiling hot)

2) Submerge raw jeans flat into water and soak for 15-20 minutes (this will bleed some of the dye without causing crease lines in unwanted places as you sometimes get with machine washing new raw denim)

3) Remove the soaked jeans from the tub and hang them up with a clip clothes hanger until they stop dripping from the bottom.

4) Put the jeans on while theyre still wet and let them dry on your body (works best outdoors on a warm sunny day)...be sure to have a backup pair of underwear nearby ;) ...Now if you want to create natural "hige" (the creases behind the knee area and on the crotch) try bending your knees down and up every few minutes while the denim is drying.

5) Once the jeans have fully dried on you, take them off and place them on a hanger to air dry.

This technique can be repeated up to three times with raw denim and will make your jeans shrink without losing alot of the original color....and the natural creases will make them look like they were made just for you!

...good luck, and enjoy!

I would recommend washing or soaking the jeans before you wear them, otherwise the creases and fading will move (up and to the side, jeans twist don't forget)

also, be careful when drying the jeans on you, mine stretched a lot a thte knees and they got all weird looking so i had to reshrink them.

Quote:

I would recommend washing or soaking the jeans before you wear them, otherwise the creases and fading will move (up and to the side, jeans twist don't forget)

also, be careful when drying the jeans on you, mine stretched a lot a thte knees and they got all weird looking so i had to reshrink them.

--- Original message by danzarrella on Mar 3, 2006 03:15 PM

yea...i was wearing my 501stf when they were still damp but i was sitting in front of the computer, and then i wore them the next day and the knees got a huge bulge so i had to soak them again...god damn knee bulges...anyway i can get rid of them? ive worn them for 1 1/2 months now