Hooded Sweatshirt Production Advice (please help)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Wow, the past couple of posts have been very negative.

Yes, starting a business is a big risk. But this is always true of any new endeavor.

I'd buy a hoodie in April, and I think a lot of people would, depending on where they live.

--- Original message by jiomitori on Feb 28, 2006 09:35 AM

i don't think they've been negative, just realistic and forewarning.

anyway, if there's going to be a website where we can buy these for 50 bucks each, you'll probably sell quite a few on here...and since they're on here (and if the quality is good), eventually hypebeast and a silent flute and the brilliance and being hunted, etc, etc, will all catch on, so maybe there is some hope.

it would be interesting to see enthusiasts of other peoples work starting the wave, as opposed to jumping on it.

from what I got, it seems to be like an american apparel type operation. qua;ity blanks for those who want them and quality blanks for companies to print on.

props for making things happen... most people talk and never end up following through. Despite people telling you otherwise i like that you still are going for it. if you don't belive in your product how can anyone else.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

this just goes to show the state of "streetwear" (whatever that means). people see some styles over the internet and decide to knock them off.

again, not trying to be a hater, i just find it all a bit absurd, especially since the entire creative inspiration comes from Supreme, Bape, and the suggestions of people on this board. far from "streetwear," more like hypebeast internetforumwear

I am getting the consumer's opinion, and if that is a deterance from streetware, so be it. However, I value every opinion. As for employing the opinion, that's a different story.

The sweatshirts are going to be thick and heavy, thermal lined, and will have dual zippers. The idea is to make a sweatshirt that will last several years. For my visit next week I will be visiting the mill and selecting the material to use. I should have sample pics up next week while I am in Taiwan.

Thanks for all the suggestions and all the support.

Quote:

this just goes to show the state of "streetwear" (whatever that means). people see some styles over the internet and decide to knock them off.

again, not trying to be a hater, i just find it all a bit absurd, especially since the entire creative inspiration comes from Supreme, Bape, and the suggestions of people on this board. far from "streetwear," more like hypebeast internetforumwear

--- Original message by alm8319 on Feb 28, 2006 06:05 PM

well what do you think 'streetwear' is?

obviously there is an expansive meaning. I do think it means something inspired by city life. I do not think the creative inspiration for something calling itself streetwear can possibly be the internet (unless its completely mocking what the internet has done to streetwear- like the supreme ghostface/elmo shirt).

Quote:

obviously there is an expansive meaning. I do think it means something inspired by city life. I do not think the creative inspiration for something calling itself streetwear can possibly be the internet (unless its completely mocking what the internet has done to streetwear- like the supreme ghostface/elmo shirt).

--- Original message by alm8319 on Feb 28, 2006 07:16 PM

i dunno man, that sounds a bit FASCIST to me...

anyway, dude's just making a plain hoody, right? sure, he's asking people who are fans of clothing what they want in a hoody, but what about this even tells you it should be called streetwear in the first place?

whats fascist about it?

the only reason I brought up streetwear is that the "creator" said he isnt worried about moving pieces since he has connects with lots of streetwear insiders.

if he had said he was just making a plain hoodie that was high quality I would say go for it, even with this poor business model. But I, for no good reason, get a bit upset when someone thinks they can do a better job than an established giant like Supreme and decide to try an knock it off, and then label their new internet brand streetwear.

Just a rant. I wish him all the best of luck and hope he doesnt have to go to law school anymore and is the next James Jebbia.

Let's not turn this thread into an argument of who or what is 'street' in this day and age.

When it boils down to it, there's nothing "street" about rich people selling expensive t-shirts to other rich people. (not directed at StarvingLawStudent)

Must I post that editorial from Nat at ASF?

Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado

This is not internet brand streetware. In fact I really would prefer that it has nothing to do with streetware, instead it is thought of as a quality good. the only reason why I mentioned streetware is because I know a few people who are in the industry, and that this is thread is appearing on Superfuture.

In fact the impetus for this was that a good friend of mine saw my supreme sweatshirt and wondered if it was possible to have that type of quality without the "fuck tha police" tag. I took him to American Rag and he didn't like the look and feel of the Richard Kidds, The Casts, and Spruce.

Since he runs a successful buisness he thought it would be something worth looking into.

In the end we just believe that there has been a growing need for a high quality and more importantly accessible sweatshirt.

My only concern at this point is that the product falls into the hands of someone who appreciates and expects quality.

I understand that the item is produced in Taiwan, and that this is a stigma that is will be an inferior good. But, you should only speak if you are aware of Taiwan's history as an exporter. Quality items come from Taiwan, just as much as pieces of shit coming from the Swiss (or whichever country that has a positive stereotype of producing high quality goods).

Do I expect to knock out Supreme? Not the slightest. I will continue to buy from them.

And if I have construed this to be streetware, in any way, I want the record to reflect that the idea of streetware was never intended. What I meant is that I would like to produce an item that is high quality and accessible.

Again, I apprecaite all the comments, whether they are negative or positive, they are ideas and opinions I apprecaite. I think this site is incredibly insightful, and that negative comments are beneficial.

the fascist thing was a joke. i'd hoped the caps would've implied that, but i was wrong. i'll try italics next time.

it was a knobby thing to say anyway, whatevvs.

either way, i hope this hoody endeavor pays off...if this stuff is good i'll definitely buy one and wear it on the streets.

how much are champion reverse weaves?

i thought you contacted cyc-why do you need their number?

your making $10 off of each hoodie?-not including time and expenses to fly to taiwan....

hand sew- do you mean with just a needle and thread-no machines? this is going to take a long, long time...

you should name the label taiwanese apparel?

all jokes aside go for it, but there are ALOT of things that can/will go wrong in manufacturing apparel, which usually take seasons/years to avoid/learn. i hope your not spending all of your college savings on this as you could make alot more dough being a lawyer,

I have a business partner. He is kicking in about 10,000 grand. I am in the process of selling a few watches to give this endeavor a shot.

I called CYC through the number I found on yahoo. That did not go anywhere, but then again I am sure they get a munber of calls fishing for information, instead of willing to conduct business.

EFF the HATE.

I'm sure the sweatshirt will turn out fine, and if its the quality you mentioned, I dont think you will have a major problem selling them at all. Im sure you can easily sell 100 through Superfuture alone. Thermal Lined is def a plus, I mean unless your living in a hot area.

Can't wait to see the sample, and the color is black?

I hope it turns out well for you, I really do. Why are these so expensive, though, if they are being made in Taiwan? The Supreme hoodies are being made in Canada for cheaper, right? Shouldn't it be a bit cheaper if the labor is cheaper? How much are the actual materials for a hoody?

Most people who buy hoodies for their clothing line like ones that don't zip, they are easier to screen. I personally prefer ones that zip, though. I would buy one at the wholesale rate if they turn out nice. Just be really careful that the finished product is the same as the samples.

Quote:

EFF the HATE.

I'm sure the sweatshirt will turn out fine, and if its the quality you mentioned, I dont think you will have a major problem selling them at all. Im sure you can easily sell 100 through Superfuture alone. Thermal Lined is def a plus, I mean unless your living in a hot area.

Can't wait to see the sample, and the color is black?

--- Original message by sriracha hot sauce on Mar 1, 2006 12:28 AM

why is any amount of criticism automatically 'hate'? everyone's being nice and supportive, and giving the kind of information (even if starvinglawstudent already knows) is good advice, ultimately.

it's not like anyone's saying 'this is stupid, we hate it', there are just some normal questions based on what's going on.

i really hope this works out and i want it to, but i'm not above saying why it might not.