iPhone 3.0

WayneGibbous

whitney, we aren't talking about the same thing. when the 3g came out original iphone owners got it for the same reduced price that a new customer would. this time they have to pay $200 more than a new customer would. i did some more research and i found out why it's different this time and it makes perfect sense. i don't know why it's not more known.

One key reason for the unhappiness: We didn’t encounter this mess *last* year.

That’s because the original iPhone was *not* subsidized! Remember that? You paid $600 for it in June 2007—the full retail price. AT&T had nothing to recoup. So a year later, AT&T offered everybody the $200 “new customer†price on the then-new iPhone 3G.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^that is because the original iPhone was not subsidized. It was full price. The iPhone 3G was subsidized, ignoring the few that paid the additional price to get an unlocked phone. When a phone price is subsidized, its cheaper because the phone company can also lock you in to a two year contract. The first time around AT&T didn't give a shit because the original iPhone was full priced, with no service subsidy. The situation with the 3GS is different since its predecessor was offered for a discounted price with a 2 year service contract.

The first gen iphone didn't support 3G data. I'm sure it was lucrative for AT&T to get that large amount of existing clients (using EDGE) over to 3G. This time the gain for them is less obvious, aside from maybe some contract renewals and the amount they make on selling a new device.

how's the battery life ? Im okay with charging every night but I hear the iphone battery is worse than that.

I get right around 24 hours at work (we have horrible service in the office though so most of the battery during the day is wasted trying to find service). When I'm not in the office I can get 1.5 days but I still charge it every night to keep from having a dead phone around lunch time. It really depends on how much and how you use the phone though.

Early adopters of the 3g might be eligible to upgrade their 3g to 3gs in july august or september depending on your plan.

The way it works is phone companies can subsidize the phones because of the 2 year contract. They make the money back throughout the 2 years and depending when you purchased your phone and how much you've shelled out over several months means they have slowly recouped the price of the phone.

To find out, go to www.att.com/iphone. Click “Check my upgrade eligibility” and plug in your phone number and password. You’ll be shown if you’re “upgrade eligible” already–or, if not, when that great moment will arrive.

Wayne - if you're talking about the black area behind your icons .. you can't do that. If you want to change your "background" (eg the screen) you can set any image as the background pretty easily, just hold it with your finger and then "set as background" (at least I think it's that easy)

thankfully worked something out with the apple store which allowed me to exchange my iphone 3g for the 3gs no charge cause i was within the month...

i like it, but when i synced it back up with my comp it didnt readd all the apps back on?

added everything else tho

i think the 3.0 os has helped my battery last longer, i have not recharged since yesterday, and i have a half full charge, not bad... anyone else notice this? i did not have a real convo at all, so that might help.

i think the 3.0 os has helped my battery last longer, i have not recharged since yesterday, and i have a half full charge, not bad... anyone else notice this? i did not have a real convo at all, so that might help.

I haven't noticed but I have the 2G.

Sup Astro

i like it, but when i synced it back up with my comp it didnt readd all the apps back on?

You sure the apps weren't put on random pages? When I did my first sync my two pages of apps were split among 5 pages with the third page randomly being blank. Not trying to insult your intelligence btw because it confused the shit out of my for a good 30 minutes.

You sure the apps weren't put on random pages? When I did my first sync my two pages of apps were split among 5 pages with the third page randomly being blank. Not trying to insult your intelligence btw because it confused the shit out of my for a good 30 minutes.

lol, noooooo! ur good. it did do that but only for 1 app and surprisingly enough it was my sufu app bookmark. that was the only one it saved.

i suppose i had some stupid shit that i didnt rly use anyway so i just put the ones i remembered back on and then some new stuff that i wanted.

OH and its not synced to my itunes acct, but to my brotherinlaws?

thats weird.

otherwise im pretty happy with the 3GS. its supa fast :D

Wayne - if you're talking about the black area behind your icons .. you can't do that. If you want to change your "background" (eg the screen) you can set any image as the background pretty easily, just hold it with your finger and then "set as background" (at least I think it's that easy)

I found out you have to have a hacked/jailbroken iPhone to do get a "clear desktop" and set a desktop background. lame

props to the gibbous.

ya gonna cop the new one? S stands for sexy.

locked into my contract for a few more months then i will prob upgrade. too much of a temptation. this is why i am broke

my friend says that the S is not that much better than the 3G, much better than the 2G though... i guess thats kinda obvious though... its all on the new apps to take advantage of the textures and such to show us if its really worth it. i find some things on my 3G to be very clunky and lame, so i could buy in to the S having some advantage... time will tell.

If you're not already locked to a contract, the 3GS seems to be a great phone to jump at. Although it's not explicitly stated, it has more RAM, which really increases performance, bootup, and rendering that's comparably faster than it's older counterparts.

For people locked into contracts, unless you need 3GS exclusive features, you can probably wait for the next iPhone whatever. As long as Apple is cleaning up the code in the OS for free, the upgrades make the 3G just as useful.

Also, video can be had via jailbreak so I don't see the justification in an extended 2-year contract on top of the upgrade fee/cost to get a new phone.

evidently the S is only operating at 72% of its capacity.

If anything, the cpu is underclocked to preserve battery life as well as prevent excessive heat it may generate running at full capacity.

i was playing with my friends 3gs its pretty cool i like the auto focus and how much faster it is. i think im gunna get one once im up for upgrade... which is in a few months bu this time im just gunna get the cheaper one so it wont hurt to get a new one next year..ugh now i have to sell this one.

So what are the best features of 3.0? I just upgraded my iPod software and I'm trying to familiarize myself with the new goodies. Spotlight is awesome. Landscape email is nice, and correct me if I'm wrong, but is searchable email also a new feature? Cut and paste is great for obvious reasons. Have yet to use any of the "unlocked" Bluetooth features. Is it reasonable to assume there might be options to Bluetooth files between computers and other phones?

/geek rant

I seem to know alot about this shit for some reason. But still have some questions... and hopefully can answer some of yur problemos.

Sorry if they're answered on pg 2 of this thread ... i didnt read it yet, i'm new to this multiquote shit, wasnt sure if they'd transfer over to page 2 with me.

I like that it can save passwords in Safari now

Does this happen automatically or is it a feature i need to turn on?

u can tether and MMS on rogers here in canada

Wheres the tether feature? (i'm on 3G 3.0, no S) And i heard it costs extra?

im thinking about upgrading but i dont feel like rejailbreaking my phone again .. and the upgrades really dont out weigh the benifits of it being jail broken

I know the new pwnagetool, redsn0w came out friday i believe, i rejailbroke yesterday after upgrading and am glad i did it.

is it me or does texting take longer to send?

I noticed the same thing. Especially if you're in landscape mode hahaha

If you got apps on yur phone by downloading .ipa's or getting them thru hackulo.us then they dont automatically resync. You gotta input the hackulo.us repository again and download their new program called AppSync 3.0 from cydia. Sync to yur computer again and all the apps you got from jailbreaking will appear

Also...

Is the MMS only between ther iphone 3.0 people? Because i got a girl to send me one from a blackberry and it showed up as that Go to this website to view yur pics yur password is ____ bullshit... and never works for me

ok, i've been away for almost a week, haven't been able to update yet, is there a quickpwn/jailbreak for 3.0 yet?

yea they're out.

i'm on a mac so i used pwnagetool

theres a new jailbreak program for PC called redsn0w i believe. which i heard is a much easier process than quickpwn... but theres a quickpwn too