Anyone know when this vintage Levi shirt was made?

Shorty Long

Another thing I find puzzling is the fact that the label says "Authentic DENIM Western Wear." It makes sense on the indigo denim western shirts I've seen, but I wouldn't call the fabric of this shirt denim...this is the only vintage Levi shirt I have that has this particular tag, although I've seen it on another seemingly non-denim shirt in the Levi history picture book.

I have a number of shirts I'd like to have dated...the new book by the guys from Rockmount is pretty helpful, but it's not great.

The tag is quite common, but I don't know how it dates it - there was an earlier, prewar tag. FWIW the people at Levi's archive, who obviously know more about the company history than anyone else, don't have such a comprehensive history of the Western shirts.... maybe there is some info somehwere, but I haven't seen it. The guess of 50s or 60s seems the best one, as that pocket style seems to have debuted with Wrangler's 27MW in 1953 or so - that said, I don't know Rockmount's history, would be interested to see their book.

Sanforization is a process that can be applied to most cotton fabrics AFAIK.

Quote:

The tag is quite common, but I don't know how it dates it - there was an earlier, prewar tag. FWIW the people at Levi's archive, who obviously know more about the company history than anyone else, don't have such a comprehensive history of the Western shirts.... maybe there is some info somehwere, but I haven't seen it. The guess of 50s or 60s seems the best one, as that pocket style seems to have debuted with Wrangler's 27MW in 1953 or so - that said, I don't know Rockmount's history, would be interested to see their book.

Sanforization is a process that can be applied to most cotton fabrics AFAIK.

--- Original message by Paul T on Jan 14, 2006 07:57 AM

it's not extremely detailed, but it covers a number of brands and goes through their history...it was just recently published

here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1586852485/qid=1137612414/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-0333335-0520859?s=books&v=glance&n=283155