Gucci F/W 2009

ejm285

This is probably the in-between collection of Dior s/s 06 and f/w 06 that never was...and given Gucci's always had a high standard of quality in their garments, whether you love em or not, if you're into this look you should probably cop. Like Tim Blanks said, the shame is most of the people (ie teens) who will crave this collection and don't get on their knees for their clothes will most likely not be able to afford it.

I said this on my blog and I'll say it again here like a broken record: Frida Giannini is in the wrong job if this "Klaxons and Mystery Jets" (referenced in the pre-show notes) look is what she wants to design for men.

Gucci, the brand for wealthy, flashy 'new money' types (and for less wealthy brand addicts), is not where boys who like skinny jeans are going to go and buy clothes, and I doubt Gucci's existing customer base are going to be converted to this look (if not because they won't physically be able to fit into most of these outfits..)

Not that it really matters though, because Gucci is all about selling bags, bags, and more bags, and Gucci's power to sell tacky bags to the masses seems to be utterly indestructable.

There's also something quite ironic about this 'indie' look being interpreted by one of the biggest, glossiest, and most commercial fashion houses.

you forgot about tom ford

I said this on my blog and I'll say it again here like a broken record: Frida Giannini is in the wrong job if this "Klaxons and Mystery Jets" (referenced in the pre-show notes) look is what she wants to design for men.

Gucci, the brand for wealthy, flashy 'new money' types (and for less wealthy brand addicts), is not where boys who like skinny jeans are going to go and buy clothes, and I doubt Gucci's existing customer base are going to be converted to this look (if not because they won't physically be able to fit into most of these outfits..)

Not that it really matters though, because Gucci is all about selling bags, bags, and more bags, and Gucci's power to sell tacky bags to the masses seems to be utterly indestructable.

There's also something quite ironic about this 'indie' look being interpreted by one of the biggest, glossiest, and most commercial fashion houses.

-I'll begin by saying Gucci is a huge fashion house, and there are many types of clients for their products. Their typical Ready To Wear client wouldnt touch a GG bag with a stick as a GG client might not have to income (or fashion sense) for most of the RTW.

No, Frida isn't Tom Ford, but she clearly knows what she is doing. She started as the handbag designer and has since been promoted several times into the Creative Director position. Saying she is wrong is, I think, a bit naive. The Tom Ford era is over, this is a new one, and I'm sure some of Tom Ford's clients have most likely moved on to his namesake line. There are plenty of new clients that are loving Frida's vision of the Gucci male ( and female for that matter.)

Yes, Gucci sells more bags than anything else. Why? Because when Gucci started nearly 90 years ago what did they sell? Handbags / luggage.

And I don't think it's terribly ironic that the runway collection is so much less mainstream than the handbags / gg belts have become (there is also twice as much RTW that ISN'T featured in the runway collection that is also offered and far less "indie" ). Walk into Barney's and you'll see Dolce on a rack next to Balenciaga or McQueen (Gucci Group). Barney's is a department store but as I said, Gucci is a huge fashion house.

wtf

this isnt supposed to be good

why are there such few monograms

and so much interesting stuff

exactly what i was thinking. Way surprised about this collection here.

-Have you ever seen Gucci RTW? Not so much GG.

-Outerwear is rad this season.