Guide me - semi-dressed up outfits for interviews

jet alone

I'm a 29 y.o. software developer and may be going around for some interviews in the near future.

I live in Hong Kong, so think subtropical for most of the year. In winter (mid-December to mid-February), temperatures are generally in the mid 50's or 60's (Fahrenheit) during the day, so chilly but not extremely cold.

I won't ever be wearing a full suit - either to interviews or day to day at work and the interview will probably mark the peak of my dressed-up-ness. I also have to present at conferences occasionally and want to look decent. All of the conferences and some of the interviews will be in colder-climate places, so I also need a jacket/sports coat or something to put on when/if it's a little cooler.

Tell me what to wear (whole outfit) and embed pictures in your posts, if possible, so that I can see what you're talking about. Links to websites with more info would be great too. Note: I've got a bigger body build (5'10" 190lb). Be as precise as possible w/re to brand, color, etc.

I'm thinking of a pair of dark (dark grey or dark blue or even black) dress slacks (possibly with pinstripe?), white sneakers (I mentioned in another thread that I just picked up a pair of the Y-3 New Court Japans), some kind of very light cashmere sweater (colors?).

For cooler weather, I was thinking the same bottom with a light cashmere pull-over hoodie (I hate zippers on tops) and some kind of sports coat or blazer.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jet alone on Dec 15, 2005 at 03:09 AM

I'm assuming you're going in for a software developing job? In my experience its always been better to be too dressed up for interviews. For me its always been a 3-button black suit. No compromises. I understand you are in Hong Kong, but if you're serious about the job, you should dress up serious. Just my thing. The suit doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to FIT. This is my single biggest peeve about people in suits. Most people never ever purchase (at least off the rack) suits that properly fit them. Even if you're not into suits, wear clothing that fits correctly even if you have to pay more. If you interview is more focused on the entertainment/fashion industry, then obvious it might be prudent to dress with some flare. Just my 0.02.

Edited by djrajio on Dec 15, 2005 at 04:22 AM

Quote:

I'm a 29 y.o. software developer and may be going around for some interviews in the near future.

I live in Hong Kong, so think subtropical for most of the year. In winter (mid-December to mid-February), temperatures are generally in the mid 50's or 60's (Fahrenheit) during the day, so chilly but not extremely cold.

I won't ever be wearing a full suit - either to interviews or day to day at work and the interview will probably mark the peak of my dressed-up-ness. I also have to present at conferences occasionally and want to look decent. All of the conferences and some of the interviews will be in colder-climate places, so I also need a jacket/sports coat or something to put on when/if it's a little cooler.

Tell me what to wear (whole outfit) and embed pictures in your posts, if possible, so that I can see what you're talking about. Links to websites with more info would be great too. Note: I've got a bigger body build (5'10" 190lb). Be as precise as possible w/re to brand, color, etc.

I'm thinking of a pair of dark (dark grey or dark blue or even black) dress slacks (possibly with pinstripe?), white sneakers (I mentioned in another thread that I just picked up a pair of the Y-3 New Court Japans), some kind of very light cashmere sweater (colors?).

For cooler weather, I was thinking the same bottom with a light cashmere pull-over hoodie (I hate zippers on tops) and some kind of sports coat or blazer.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jet alone on Dec 15, 2005 at 03:09 AM

--- Original message by jet alone on Dec 15, 2005 03:07 AM

Get a couple of shirts made at a local HK tailor, they're very inexpensive. Ask around for the best ones and get 1 test shirt (I only know about traveling HK tailors so you might find a better local one....WChan is very popular...). When you receive the shirt tell the tailor which changes you want in the next batch and have like 5 made. Repear until you've got a perfect fit and enough shirts (10 should be fine for a start)...

Repeat for dress pants until you have at least 5.

You should have at least two pair of dress shoes and matching belts (brown and black) get something like plaintoes or captoes, they're versatile and not too ornery. Always get a leather sole and use your maximum budget on these.

When you really trust your tailor get a suit made. It should be SB, 2 or 3 buttons and be navy or charcoal as these are more versatile and universally accepted. Get 1-2 ties at a store (100% silk).

Interviews:

Wear the suit

A plain white dress shirt or a plain blue one

a tie

dress shoes matching your belt color (go with black if you're not into dress shoes), no Y-3 to interviews, that's why everyone thinks programmers are slobs :P

Contrary to the othe advice you've been given so far, I'd say dress appropriate to the position. If you think think the people interviewing you will be really dressed down, don't show up in a suit. I know plenty of computer types that will consider you too uptight if you show up for a programming position looking like you are interviewing for bank manager.

However, I would advise against sneakers or denim for a first interview. I'd go with some decent dark colored casual pants (mothing technical or too trendy), a light sweater over a T-shirt, and some comfortable but nice looking casual shoes, maybe some Clarks/Wallabees. I wore creepers the last time I went through the interview process, and I got the job and a favorable comment on my shoes. icon_smile.gif

My general rule is to be a little more formal than the people interviewing you, so if you have an idea what they dress like, you should know what you're shooting for. Good Luck!

I was thinking a nice pair of wool slacks, white collared shit, grey vneck sweater overtop and sport coat over that

or a suit over the shirt and sweater

someone said earlier, definitely dont underdress for interviews. Although i am not out of university, for interviews i have been at, the interviewer has complimented me on how well i was dressed on several occasions

i have been in no less than 30 to 40 interviews, and u ALWAYS wear a suit for an interview. i study computer engineering, so i interview for similar jobs u do, and even though sometimes they tell u it's ok to dress business casual, u should always dress up to show that you are serious and that u are enthusiastic about joining their company. it never hurts to overdress, unless u're really that opposed to wearing a suit. furthermore, it's all about the first impression in an interview (studies have shown that interviewers decide to hire an interviewee after 2 seconds of seeing them).

so ALWAYS dress the nicest possible.