uh, does anyone here really skate?

JUPAFETT

ok, so openly not to be a cage rattler since the skater v. coolguy confrontation is a issue here,

i just want to know:

who here skates

how long

their first board

what they ride now

where they live/skate

what they skate

what shoes they skate in

last 3 tricks learned

is $100.00+ ceramic bearings worth it

ok so i'll go first...

1. over twenty years if you count knee boarding on a banana board, but yeah 20 years.

2. schmitt stix john lucero, 87 ratbones, NMB bearings, venture trucks..that was in the 6th grade

3. LE Stussy L.A. 7.75" deck, venture trucks...still, 54mm spits, diamond hardware, reflex bearings

4. grew up in vegas, in la now so basically i skate in SOCAL

5. not so much street these days, more of a park ranger. so lots of mini ramps, bowls, anything concrete.

6. nike sc trainer 1

7. at the bowl: back smith, back 5-0, lien to tails...gotta love pool coping!

8. given the amount of longevity for the price, yes. i've yet to cop but i heard they're amazing

oh shucks, should this be in the superlists!? chad?

SHIT IS WACK

Edited by JUPAFETT on Sep 20, 2004 at 03:49 PM

wow, what a great post! how nerdy.

i started skating when I was 6 or so. I'm 25 now. Fuck!

first board was a G&S Chris Miller with Tracker trucks and some butt ugly wheels (I still have it!). oh man, then i remember going through a slew of Tony Hawk minis then Vision Psycho sticks. But Powell Peralta was the shit back then. Bones Brigade were my heros.

I'm skating a Krooked Mark Gonzalas now with Independent trucks, Powell Swiss bearings and Spitfire wheels, 59mm

Live in NYC and skate the Hudson River Skate Park as much as I can. There are a handful of cats there that rip it up. It's a good park and it's free.

Nike Buck SBs

Last 3 tricks learned and landed:

1. 180 kick flip shove it to fakie on the bank

2. fakie nollie to frontside smith to fakie in the pipe

3. fakie 180 nollie to rock n roll on the extention

I want to leave work to bad; It's so nice out.

dig.

same as jupafett, I started almost 20 years ago but I can't recall the exact boards I had ridden. I went through several ranging from the Hosoi Hammerhead Mini (what a tank) to the Jeff Kendall and eventually the Tommy Guerrero flaming sword deck from Powell & Peralta. I was a straight up Indy 169 trucks man....best trucks ever. I gave up skating back in '89 but have maintained a mild interest in skate culture every now and then. I was mainly into street skating, the Search For ANimal Chin vid was inspiring to me----it was all about big ollies and railslides.

if they move, kill 'em.

ok, i'll have a go at this...

started skating 1987 on a powell tony hawk deck w/indys and santa cruz bullets i think. 2 years later and after an ample amount of knee/elbow scars i gave it up. in short, i SUCKED.

took up snowboarding and found i was more affluent to snow than concrete. jibs, kickers, and fun boxes is what i'm all about.

tried skating again last year but it never worked out. i'm sticking to the snow ;)

Edited by sr20det on Sep 21, 2004 at 06:50 AM

^^^^

i always uh, dreamed of doing those but i've a got a ways to go still.

yeah snowboarding takes 2nd place for me. going that fast down a mountain feels like nothing else.

you "could" go that fast on a skate but why would you? the bank robbery getaway perhaps?

"i'm suprised no one else has responded to this post. tisk tisk"

because as i've clearly called out, some kids want the look without fulfilling the role, it's whatever....

SHIT IS WACK

stickykrylon

Am suprised (or not) no one called you one some of your tricks... Am sure topic has been flogged like a dead horse by many a skater worldwide (and am a little hesitant to bring it up againbut here goes...):

there is no such thing as a 'fakie nollie'. I think you mean 'fakie ollie'. While I'm at it, people, please, and I repeat, never call a frontside air a fronside indy. Indy is only backside or to fakie. A frontside air is a frontside air. And while I'm at it, tuck-knee only if you don't mind. No stinkbugs thankyou very much!

Have a nice day!icon_smile_big.gif

Quote:

Search for Animal Chin = classic.

Don't forget Public Domain and Ban This.

I was in Autumn a month ago and they

had the entire Bones Brigade collection

on DVD. I need to pick that up.

sr20det, what are you riding this season?

--- Original message by stickykrylon on Sep 21, 2004 07:14 AM

search for animal chin... i remember my friends and i trying to comb our hair with our skateboards like them in the movie. yeah, we were idiots.

i'm still riding my 2 year old dominant 156 in ready??? HOT PINK. i love this board. i'm kinda sad burton only has 154 now to replace 156 =( i'm 5'11 so i'm kinda sketchy about riding a 154. bindings = drake f60s.

on a side note, i have 2002 forum bj leines 160 for sale if anyone's interested?

anyone else snowboard? don't mean to threadjack from jupa. icon_smile_cool.gif

got in a little late on this post...but here goes...

been skaing since '89-'90...

first deck??...santa cruz rob roskopp was my first "pro-deck"...before that??...no name brands from kmart...(on a side note, once those h-street decks dropped with the nutty concave, i was fiending for one!!)....

riding an Element Kenny Hughes right now...very dope...

i reside in toronto canada...still skating as many natural obstacles i can around the city

what shoes??....nike sb highs...most people front and say these aren't good for skating, but i disagree...these have been good to me...

been working on a switch 360 off a bank lately...not going as well as i would have hoped...

$100 ceramic bearings worth it??...never tried em, so can't comment....

nice post Juppa....

Quote:

got in a little late on this post...but here goes...

been skaing since '89-'90...

first deck??...santa cruz rob roskopp was my first "pro-deck"...before that??...no name brands from kmart...(on a side note, once those h-street decks dropped with the nutty concave, i was fiending for one!!)....

riding an Element Kenny Hughes right now...very dope...

i reside in toronto canada...still skating as many natural obstacles i can around the city

what shoes??....nike sb highs...most people front and say these aren't good for skating, but i disagree...these have been good to me...

been working on a switch 360 off a bank lately...not going as well as i would have hoped...

$100 ceramic bearings worth it??...never tried em, so can't comment....

nice post Juppa....

--- Original message by MyMindSpray on Sep 22, 2004 12:16 PM

damn, I used to have the Rob Roskopp III board back in the day. I hate to say it but Santa Cruz made some pretty weak boards back then, and by weak I mean they were easily broken. My friend had a Clause Grabke board which he wound up snapping in two in a relatively short period of time---my Rob Roskopp didn't last too long either :(.

if they move, kill 'em.

i hear ya Marine....they weren't exactly the best decks out there...but i couldn't resist the ill graphics at the time...slime face??...crazy...man...all this talk about decks back in the day makes me think about all the crazy graphics back then....remember all the Gonz decks??...nuts...i remember that one Hensley deck too on H-Street that was nuts...the one with the rubberman with "Hensley" written inside his foot....banannas...

aiight jupp!

skatin' over 20 years kiddies -no good but never gave up

1st pro-model Hosoi mini rocket air graph, tracker trucks, wheels from shitty nash board

now habitat, venture trucks, spitfire

skate in Los Angeles

grew up skating street now learning backyard minis , burbank park, (going to check out glendale this weekend)

whatever freebies DVS throws my way

last tricks rock&roll, disaster

btw everyone go get the Alchemist 1st infantry on ALC records Alchemistbeats.com

"Life's like a gamble we scramble for money, might crack a smile but ain't a damn thing funny."icon_smile_clown.gif

1. (since i was 11)+(i'm 24 now)= 13 years

2. Acme Classic

3. blank decks (they're lighter without the graphic)

4. 310, 951, 858 !

5. started out on Airwalk NTS, now i rock nike urls (because they're free, kid!)

6. nollie 360, switch f/s pop-shoves

7. no way.

actually, let me get in on the snowboarding tip since i'm bored.

1. (since i was 12)+(i'm 24 now) = 12 years

2. morrow lunchtray - so disgusting. 134! nubs for nose and tail..

3. burton 158. it was cheap.

4. mammoth, big bear (started out in westridge, big air green valley near arrowhead, and of course, mammoth)

5. DCs

6. 900 bluntslides are always fun. simple stuff: boardslides, f/s 3's, b/s 5's.

7. N/A

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

Edited by bobbyhundreds on Sep 24, 2004 at 09:26 AM

• 1 month later...

20 plus years.

Nash Executioner to a Roskopp IV with Indys and OJs.

Anything 8-8.25 wide (TK that's shaped like a Barker Barrett currently), Indys, 54s.

Any shitty wooden skateparks preferably.

Any Dunk Highs, Jordan Highs or RICK HOWARD DCs.

Switch chainsaws, bitch. (on a bank though, WEAK)

Ceramic bearings are worth it if you gaffle 'em.

I AM LEISURE.

5 years... i thought i was too old to skate

world industries flameboy - keep it on the dl

7.75 blank with crux and whatever bearings i can find that arent broken

at school, nasty hamilton, skate random pylons in empty parkinglots - at home ledges

only street never seen a bowl

emerica reynold's 1

b/s nosegrind, b/s 5-0, almost have back tails

my friend had ceramics a few years back - i think he broke them ollieing a 6 set

uhmm, 10 years? fuck I should be so much better than I am now, it's kinda sad when I think about it, haha!

The first board that I bought brand new at a shop was a Sluggo Real. I think it was maybe his first promodel...plus a mish mash of hand me downs.

Now I roll a 7.5 stereo deck, some venture los, autobahn 51's, swiss and diamond hardware

skating in some gino fc's, some gr celtic dunks, some lakai manchesters and some lakai socas.

last 3 tricks? uhm...i'll get back to you on that one. some ledge business at our new street plaza (I live in vancouver)

as for ceramics, i dunno. swiss have always done me good.

fuck around and get your waffle split

best topic yet.

1. around 11 and counting.

2. new deal neal hendrix, gullwing, 48s don't remember brand(just caught the end of the tiny wheel era).

3. now zoo team joint, venture, zoo 53s, and reflex ceramics, see #8.

4. phila via MD/DC.

5. skreet weather and work permitting, but park when not, i'm a young buck and just discovered skating bowls, funnest shit.

6. skate usually in some sneaker cause i have so many old ones i don't wear might as well skate them. but vandals for the moment.

7. 1. nollie back 5-0 frontside out.

2. trying to get the hang of carving switch/fakie whatevs.

3. 5-0 coping clip in deep end.

8. still breaking them in, haven't got totally juiced up yet but there goin good so far, personally wouldn't spend the dough on them, but only because i'm not a daily dude, i can only skate when i got the time.

• 3 months later...

- about 10 years (diddnt skate for almost two years due to a knee problem)

-alien workshop "spectrum", indy's, spitfires, and some blank abec 3 bearings

- Chocolate "chico bernes revolution" 7.75, Royals,fkd's,and 53 ricta's

- live in riverside, skate: chino park,honey hollow elem.,King hs,Canyon Springs hs,UCR,back lot of mckinley.

- right now i skate in a couple pairs:plain black superstars (my personal fav), and a pair of es accel's. the og sal 23's black w/white stich (the etnies originals) used to be my fav along with halfcabs.

- last 3 tricks learned: presure flip to manuel (up a curb about 15-20ft long w/ a 2-3ft drop), Fs Big spin up and back down a bank, and almost got my kickflip bs tails back.

- never really fucked with ceramics, i do think bearings are important but i think anything abec5 and up should be ok.

that was kinda weird, i posted but it was blank?

Anyways:

- about 10-11 years (diddnt skate for almost 2 years, do to a knee problem)

- my first board was a hand me down jeff philips, the first board i remember buying was a alien workshop "spectrum" with indy's, spitfires, and some blank bearings

- i now ride a chocolate "chico bernes", royal's,53 ricta's, and some fkd's

- i live in riverside, skate chino,moreno valley,corona,etc..once in a while i'll get a downtown LA session in.

- i skate street, lunch tables,banks,ledges,parking lots,etc..

- Shoes: black superstars (fav), and some es accel's. Used to skate sal 23's and halfcabs

- last 3 tricks: preasure flip to manuel (up and off legde), Fs big spin (up and down banks) and almost got kickflip bs tailslide's back.

- never messed with ceramics but i do agree with bearings being very important, anything abec5+ should do.

Started skating seriously around 91. First real setup I can remember was a Lance Mountain Firm deck with Indy trucks, german bearings, and Santa Cruz wheels. Continued skating til 95 when street and 42 mm wheels were the shit. Favorite setup was my Ed Templeton deck, Venture featherlites, 44 mm Stereo wheels and Swiss Bearings. Favorite shoes to skate in were Chukka Boots. Used to skate the Banks, Washington Square, East Village, and various places in Jersey. Favorite skaters were Dune, Jason Lee, Ed Templeton, Kareem Campbell and Bobby Puleo. Stopped skating for almost ten years, but kept in touch with the skate culture. Recently bought a board to fuck around with, but after 10 years and 50 lbs. I'm finding the tricks aren't as easy as they used to be. Last trick re-learned: 180 kickflip double flip. Current setup: Enjoi Puleo deck, Venture trucks, 54 mm Spitfire wheels. Kicks: Nike Dunk SB's.

WHATSUP CIAN! It's Shona, dog.

how long-Since I was 10, I'm 19 now (be 20 in June) but I've been seriously skating since 97.

their first board-Black Label John Cardiel Everslick, Spitfire Lil' Smokies (39mm) and some Ventures, a handmedown from Cardiel himself c/o of his lil brother, my best friend, NAME DROPPING LIKE A MO'FUCKA. Real board c/o of my moms was an Anti Hero Cardiel, Indys, and some multi colored Spits.

what they ride now-Real HUF Basketball Board, Royals, Ricta Kareems

where they live/skate-San Jose, but I skate in Frisco alot. I bounce around; might catch me in London at Southbank or in Morocco.

what they skate-I love bumps, pools, banks, and jersey barries. Makeshift spots.

what shoes they skate in-Vans Half Cabs or some Low top Timbs.

last 3 tricks learned-Switch bigspin, Frontside Rock and Roll slide, bs 180 nosegrind.

is $100.00+ ceramic bearings worth it-If you can afford it, i guess, why not???

Bonito Perdido.