If you thought the hate in Supertrash was intense...

RyanF

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/21/webcam.suicide/index.html

you obviously haven't checked out the bodybuilding.com forums recently

if you think the story is sad, you should read the misc. section on the forum...they've basically been making thread after thread in mockery of this guy

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/11/strange-record.html

Contributing to the confusion was the apparent suicide note Biggs posted to the thread. After a short time, another bodybuilder.com poster discovered that the note itself was not wholly original. And he was right: Biggs appears to have combined text from at least two other suicide notes from elsewhere on the Web, with a short addition at the end. Biggs' note is transcribed here, while the two that he borrowed from are here and here.

Sorry but, lol.

i dont know how many times people attempt things like this LIVE on a webcam but I was a paramedic for 3 years before I joined the army and you have to take every suicide attempt seriously. i was always surprised that even the people who admitted that they didn't want to kill themselves didn't know that the amount of drugs/alcohol they consumed was enough to kill them. we dealt with many people who - for various reasons - called in hoax after hoax and then one day you show up and it's a real emergency.

I want to see the video =/

It'd be boring. Just a guy taking pills and eventually passing out on his bed.

Not to be too serious, but how? Honestly, the Internet is rife with boys crying wolf and the nature of the Internet makes it impossible (and impractical) to take everyone at their word.

Agreed. I really don't think this is a Kitty Genovese situation. I don't think it's great they egged him on but c'mon. What did he really expect?

i dont know how many times people attempt things like this LIVE on a webcam but I was a paramedic for 3 years before I joined the army and you have to take every suicide attempt seriously. i was always surprised that even the people who admitted that they didn't want to kill themselves didn't know that the amount of drugs/alcohol they consumed was enough to kill them. we dealt with many people who - for various reasons - called in hoax after hoax and then one day you show up and it's a real emergency.

It's one thing to know that your friend is in trouble and call the police and paramedics. It is another when an unnamed person in an undisclosed location makes a public statement on the Internet. The difference of scope and locality is pretty clear. If there's not effective way to police the Internet for activity like pirating (which is far more common and noticeable), how much can people behind computer monitors really do?

Agreed. I really don't think this is a Kitty Genovese situation. I don't think it's great they egged him on but c'mon. What did he really expect?

Its the cops/fire dept/EMT's job they won't mind. as far as the forum members? it didn't take much time or effort to find out his contact info once - after 10+ hours - people became concerned. all it took was one concerned person among hundreds and this could have been avoided. do you really think that someone else's 'inconvenience' is enough to prevent these people from doing the cautious - and in this case correct- thing.

It's one thing to know that your friend is in trouble and call the police and paramedics. It is another when an unnamed person in an undisclosed location makes a public statement on the Internet. The difference of scope and locality is pretty clear. If there's not effective way to police the Internet for activity like pirating (which is far more common and noticeable), how much can people behind computer monitors really do?

apparently they can do a lot because it didn't take much time to find this kid once people became concerned.

did you read the story? a kid from india tried to call the local police

Wow. Man it's crazy that I was just watching Law & Order on TV and the case was about a depressed teenager that decided to kill a lot of people at his high school for picking on him.

If someone made a thread right now saying they were going to kill him/herself, some of us would probably respond the same way the people at bodybuilder.com did. I mean, it is the internet & it's not like people don't come on here seeking attention that they don't receive in reality. So it is kind of hard to tell if it would be a hoax or not.

• 3 weeks later...