Jean Shop NYC

partytaco

Most of the jeans in the the Jean Shop are raw / plain / unwashed. Part of the selling point is that they distress them for you, for a fee. I can tell you that they offer lots of styles, colors and the quality of the denim seems to be quite good. They also sell lots of jean jackets in different styles of leather, as well as shirts, wallets, belts and other goodies.

Nice store, but if you buy something, be aware that they only accept returns for store credit. So be sure of what you're buying!

Quote:

also has anyone been to the upper west side 45rpm store? they carry different jeans than the soho store??...i heard they were styled after 40's and 50's lee's with the tear dropped back pockets..any truth.

--- Original message by partytaco on Nov 25, 2005 08:48 AM

I've visited the uptown 45 store. The jeans with "the tear drop back pockets" are actually shields to honor japanese firefighters and they're part of the umii line. The Umii jeans have a little bit lower rise (then other 45 rpms),zimbabwei cotton, and the pockets are furthur from the ass crack (perhaps "Lee" cowboy style). Anyway, they cost $730 bucks and have synthetic indigo. You can pay extra to have them distressed. Personally, I think it makes sense to pay another twenty dollars are get the Badou natural indigo jeans.

Edited by Roland on Nov 25, 2005 at 11:06 AM

Quote: what are their jeans like? i would imagine because of the location in the meatpacking district they would be higher end.

I picked a pair of their raw "classic fit" jeans, which cost $250. The fit is the same at APC New Stds, so if that works for you, its worth a look. They pay alot of attention so the details like stiching, seams, hems, and its all nice. I think the quality of the denim is better then Nudie, but I think I would buy Straight Svens over the Jean Shop jeans if I had to go it over again ... just because of nudies more modern fit (and the fact that they're 200 bucks at fos5.com right now). Maybe I'll post some pics later.

I'm not really sure if Jean Shops products stand out compared to Engineered Garments, Crate Denim (@Barneys), and a lot of the other classic dry selvage jeans that are popping up.

Meatpacking has Jean Shop, E. Sewn, and DDC Labs (often overlooked) ... and maybe the Mens Scoop ... so if you're looking for jeans, I think Meatpacking is place you need to check out ... and not an out of the way trek.

Edited by Roland on Nov 25, 2005 at 11:08 AM

sorry....i meant 45rpm on the uppereastside...anyway i went up there and i must say i'm sold on the cut of the janon or jonon jean. definently the most modern slim cut of all the 45rpm jeans i've seen. these are natural indigo hand dipped 25 times. the "denim master" (these 45rpm places are serious about denim/cotton which is nice you get a full explantion of all the features of the jeans from the indigo to the cotton to the type of material used for the patch...none of this atrium slicked back greasy haired cluelessness) said the natural indigo fades more uniformally and that you won't get the whiskers or honeycombing to the extent if at all that most of you like...so i guess if you're looking for a big time fade like you get from nudies or apcs i would stay away and i guess if you're looking to buy on a budget i would avoid this store at all costs because these will run you over $800 out the door and that's for a onewash finish. they don't offer distressing on these because of the nature of the indigo but they said they might be willing to give it a shot for a few bills more.