Wsop 2008

mrkehbyners

logo_wsop_2008.gif

anyone watch the world series of poker on espn? next tuesday is the final table!

my bet is on demidov or phillips. what do you guys thinK?

Dennis Phillips— 26,295,000 (St, Louis, Missouri) — Account Manager

Craig Marquis— 10,210,000 (Arlington, Texas) — College Student

Ylon Schwartz — 12,525,000 (Brooklyn, NY) — Professional Poker Player

Scott Montgomery— 19,690,000 (Perth, Ontario) — Professional Poker Player

Darus Suharto — 12,520,000 (Toronto, Ontario) — Accountant

David "Chino" Rheem — 10,230,000 (Los Angeles, California) — Professional Poker Player

Ivan Demidov — 24,400,000 (Moscow, Russia) — Professional Poker Player

Kelly Kim — 2,620,000 (Whittier, California) — Professional Poker Player

Peter Eastgate — 18,375,000 (Odense, Denmark) — Professional Poker Player

lol like there is skill in winning a final table.

70% of the final table are pros....so i dont see where youre going with this, farris

the other 2 are accountants and one is a college student.....its safe to say that most of these dudes are intelligent to some degree

i probably shouldn't have posted that without wanting to defend that statement to the grave...

anyway, since the wsop has boomed over the last 5 or so years, look at the amount of pros at the final table, let alone the winners. not any winners, not many FT's. How many BB's is the average stack? remember moneymaker? haschem? Yang? they didnt know what the fk was goin on. i think its pretty safe to say that Moneymaker was the worst player at that FT.

i could go on for awile about how tournament poker is a joke, and back it up with maths, but i dont want to now. ill try and sum up my arguement briefly with an example, believe it or not...

i could teach a rdm 20something, who has a decent knowledge of probability and maths, how to play poker in a week (this is with the assumption they have never played poker at any level.) i could put this guy in a FT full of "name" pros; helmuth, negreanu, whoever, and this student would have roughly the same 1/9 chance of winning. the FT is a crapshoot of who runs good. the difference in skill is extremely marginal and imo, obsolete when it comes to a sample size of this magnitude.

ill guarantee that many people will call BS, but i promise this to be true.

i couldve probably post "LOL sample size" but w/e im kinda drunk. search me post history for a history of my online pokers

Yeah, it sucks that it won't be on PPV this time. Wouldn't be surprised if Cardplayer has some "live" coverage.

On a related note... Why aren't there more cash games on TV or online. High Stakes Poker was the best show on television and the number one show on Game Show Network and they took it off the air. Poker After Dark has had a couple cash games, but the second one was pretty lame. I would gladly pay money to see some high stakes cash games online or on TV.

And I'm probably rooting for Phillips...

I imagine High Stakes Poker (loved that show as well btw) got taken off the air because people weren't signing on to play. The pros who appear on that show are not really compensated by the network to gamble huge amounts of their own money against players who are as good as or better than they are. It was worth the risk at the height of the boom because the pros were "building their brand" by appearing on television, but as the fad wore off and the endorsement cash flow dried up there was no incentive for the pros to play such a potentially unprofitable game.

I would also imagine that many "pros" are in an incrediblely tough financial situation right now as a lot of the easy money is gone compared to 3-4 years ago and sponsors realize that poker is kind of dead.

kelly kim will double up five times from phillips, en route to a main event victory.

anyone know if there are any sites that I would be able to stream the final table event from? aint on the tube where im from.

you can watch it on youtube like the day after. it should be episode 30 so just search up wsop 2008 ep 30

here are the odds

Craig Marquis 8 - 1

Darus Suharto 8 - 1

David Rheem 6 - 1

Dennis Phillips 4 - 1

Ivan Demidov 4 - 1

Kelly Kim 15 - 1

Peter Eastgate 9 - 2

Scott Montgomery 9 - 2

Ylon Schwartz 7 - 1

I imagine High Stakes Poker (loved that show as well btw) got taken off the air because people weren't signing on to play.

I swear I saw something on 2+2 referring to a post by D Neg's on his website about how the pros wanted it to happen, but the network didn't want to continue it. Most of these guys play against one another in the big game anyway, and I think that their egos would want nothing more than to beat down another pro on TV. I mean, why do Ivey & Patrick Antonious play against one another head's up, but for their own ego?

I swear I saw something on 2+2 referring to a post by D Neg's on his website about how the pros wanted it to happen, but the network didn't want to continue it. Most of these guys play against one another in the big game anyway, and I think that their egos would want nothing more than to beat down another pro on TV. I mean, why do Ivey & Patrick Antonious play against one another head's up, but for their own ego?

speakin of ivey, sucks that he didnt make it to the final table..

watching antonius v. ivey is great

antonius generally > ivey

Yeah, this is basically true. HSP just didn't have a sustainable enough market anymore, or at least the network didn't think they did. The HSP games were generally really, really soft with guys like Eli and Hellmuth playing. Jman's account of his HSP experience was pretty hilarious and disheartening at the same time. He got bumped for being too big a nit.

More importantly, let's talk about how big a failure the decision to bump the final table was. It was solely so ESPN could market it as a big reality event, and they pretty much failed in successfully getting the word out. I was pretty ambivalent about the whole idea, but now that ESPN has done a fairly poor job in marketing it I definitely disagree with it.

That said, I'm pulling for Demidov/Phillips. I'm avoiding any coverage so I can watch it "live" tomorrow night. I really wish Raptor would have made the final table so I would have had somebody to really pull for. :rolleyes: Thanks Cantu!

Who wants to get a nightly SUFU Full Tilt Poker 6max game going. I play with Homi29 most nights anyway, and last night a Supreme re-seller sat at the table with us lol.

Who wants to get a nightly SUFU Full Tilt Poker 6max game going. I play with Homi29 most nights anyway, and last night a Supreme re-seller sat at the table with us lol.

im in it to win it

gotta download updates and shizz for ftp :/

what are your FTP user names? Let's do one tonight?