vintage glasses thread

rodeo bill

I actually wear the a pair of modern shuron Ronsir which is the smaller style of the classic 50's clubman.

The nice thing about the company is they'll ship you a few pairs to try on and you keep the one you like and return the rest....

Those japanese frames are really nice, not a million miles away from mine:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=1104376&postcount=201

Yours look like one of those Japanese makers that are all hand made by some old guy whose practices are unchanged since the dawn of time.

those are ace! thanks for putting them up:) I presume they;re 'just' acetate? the colour grading looks like they could be real horn

I hope you;'re right about my YGI glasses:D I have a couple more pairs, which Ã'll post over the next couple of days. They really aren;t all that expensive, and the quality's fantastic, so I'd certainly presume they're made by a pretty small operation

I actually wear the a pair of modern shuron Ronsir which is the smaller style of the classic 50's clubman.

The nice thing about the company is they'll ship you a few pairs to try on and you keep the one you like and return the rest....

I read about them on the website- they;re a little bit shorter/narrower, to make them slightly less full on right? Pics please:D

sounds like a brilliant service- I'd be worried about buying something as personal as glasses without trying them first- a small bit out can look really wrong! what kind of price did you pay?

I read about them on the website- they;re a little bit shorter/narrower, to make them slightly less full on right? Pics please:D

sounds like a brilliant service- I'd be worried about buying something as personal as glasses without trying them first- a small bit out can look really wrong! what kind of price did you pay?

they're the same width of the normal horn rim, just shorter on the metal part for the lens...

and you can choose what ear pieces go with it too..

I got them from the factory so it was about 90 I think? If you order through an eyeglass place they're 200!

I've been taking more of a look through Shuron;s website, and these look like they might be the ones you mean?BLACK-CHASSIS-SIDE-CAT_LG.jpg

they don;t have prices on the website, and you can;t really tell what the quality's like. But I think these look pretty cool

I had a few pairs of Shurons a while back. They're really well made, and they furnish lots of films such as JFK etc.

those are ace! thanks for putting them up:) I presume they;re 'just' acetate? the colour grading looks like they could be real horn

I hope you;'re right about my YGI glasses:D I have a couple more pairs, which Ã'll post over the next couple of days. They really aren;t all that expensive, and the quality's fantastic, so I'd certainly presume they're made by a pretty small operation

Yeah Just Acetate. Where did you get the YGI frames from? I'd be interested in picking some up when I'm in Japan next year.

Yeah Just Acetate. Where did you get the YGI frames from? I'd be interested in picking some up when I'm in Japan next year.

I actually got all my Yanagi Gawa Ichiro glasses in Hong Kong. They're pretty easy to get hold of there- any of the better opticians around Mong Kok/Yau Ma Tei. I haven;t ever seen them in Japan, but I've not spent so much time there...

Here's today's pair, also YGI. It's not so clear from the pictures, but they're matt, rather than polished. It makes them a bit different, but still subtle.

3002903184_4832a9b434.jpg

3002068873_15b0fc1710.jpg

3002068991_a4bfc757bd.jpg

3002903476_f89eee8252.jpg

3002069175_1fe251fdd0.jpg

3002069289_35353ba051.jpg

3002069377_8a0aa354f0.jpg

3002069515_7189481c5b.jpg

I have 2 pairs in this material. more tomorrow:)

In other news, this afternoon I dropped into an amazing glasses shop in Soho- The Eye Company on Wardour St (http://www.eye-company.co.uk/) Anyone in London (Fre$co?) I'd really recommend it.

Steenie, the owner, showed me part of his HUGE collection of vintage glasses. He has literally everything from C18th tortoiseshell lorgnettes and russian gold pince-nez, to loads and loads of 80s Porsche Carrera shades and frames. A really nice guy too, and incredibly passionate about his stuff.

I tried on a (new) pair of these:

d3cf_1_sbl.JPG

PERSOL_714.jpg

as worn by:

4947_1_sbl.JPG

I'm really into Persol- I love the arrow branding, and the bendy rubber inserts in the temples. I'm always on the look out for a deadstock pait, but I might go new if I can;t find some after a bit more searching. I know someone who has Persol shades as glasses, and they look really cool.

edit- this style (collapsible or regular) is called 714, and has been in continuous production since 195(4?) I think he said

^^thanks fre$co :)

I went in again today with my friend (she's looking for some glasses) and I saw yours- they're beautiful- LA Eyeworks are great.

My Friend tried on these:

EK101DW.jpg

LA Eyeworks 'Echo Park'. they looked fantastic on her! Definitely 50sey, but updated so they don;t look too kitsch

Here's my last pair of Yanagi Gawa Ichiro. Also the matt acetate, these ones with the front pins as crosses. Nice box too:)

3007271695_706d1eddc3.jpg

3007271759_b7b55ec00c.jpg

3008109558_847b8b5ac1.jpg

3007271891_027184ff54.jpg

3007271979_36ef6e351c.jpg

3008109724_68b1902ce2.jpg

3007272091_84005d9db8.jpg

3008109904_073e1e8d6d.jpg

3007272129_ce19389c7c.jpg

The crosses remind me of Chrome Hearts glasses, which are really fantastic. I think they may only be available in Asia? THey;re very very expensive- all the metal work is sterling silver, but the workmanship is incredible, and I think the simpler ones look great. anyone got any?

these are silhouette frames from I guess the early-mid 90s. Very Armani/Calvin Klein baggy suits feel to them, if you know what I mean:D Silhouette are Austrian I think, anyway these are made in Austria. The temples are titanium, so they;re very light and comfy, but the fronts are plated brass. I know this because the plating has worn aaway over the 5years or so I've been wearing them- I really like that this has happened:)

3009552313_1ecd0529cd.jpg

3009552347_76c8d12cee.jpg

3010387562_a9338256c9.jpg

3010387476_a6608e1b01.jpg

3010387524_4c69583f62.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some truly gorgeous stuff RB, especially love the tortoiseshell ones.

I don't wear perscription glasses so i hope some pics of shades will do too.

These Wayfarers (B&L 5022) i picked up recently, not much use for them at the moment as the sun's been hiding out here lately, but i'm sure i'm gonna love wearing these when the time comes.

Supposedly they're from the early or mid-eighties.

raybanwayfarer5022ale4.jpg

raybanwayfarer5022cyh3.jpg

raybanwayfarer5022big0.jpg

raybanwayfarer5022ezh8.jpg

raybanwayfarer5022dst9.jpg

^^very nice indeed Mich! and great photos too

I just collected 2 more pairs of B&L raybans last night from another little optician I found in Hong Kong. Really happy to get original cases and lens cloths with both (although actually I don;t think the cases match the glasses, but still they;re B&L!)

Gatsby STYLE 2. I already have Gatsby 1 (on page 1 of this thread), and I presume this an evolution, in the same way as you have Wayfarer 1 & 2. I actually think I like this one a bit better than 1- it's slightly less round, while still being smaller and lighter than Wayfarers. The lens cloth is marked 1994/6 Olympic Games, but I reckon these are quite a bit earlier

3039287253_21d30654ff.jpg

3039287385_0b4d601454.jpg

3039287517_6092f1385b.jpg

3040126064_ff2e1f617b.jpg

3039287761_aa0766abc3.jpg

3039287915_8b28671417.jpg

3040126494_5e0577f371.jpg

3040126610_983ea90f53.jpg

3039288233_1323b3e754.jpg

3039288331_7f2ff15555.jpg

Those Gatsby's are really cool, and the traditionals are pretty unique too.

One thing puzzles me a bit RB, i thought you wore prescription glasses, but do all your pickups have the correct strenght for your eyes?

Those Gatsby's are really cool, and the traditionals are pretty unique too.

One thing puzzles me a bit RB, i thought you wore prescription glasses, but do all your pickups have the correct strenght for your eyes?

thanks! glad you like them :)

:D Yes I do wear prescription glasses. But when I buy these vintage ones they;re always sunglasses, and I get the lenses changed to my prescription (in clear glass). that's why in the pictures you can see the dark lenses popped out- I always ask to keep them, for the original stickers/branding etc

By the way Mich- sorry I didn;t ask before, but where did you get your wayfarers, and how much if you don;t mind sharing? they look like they;re in great condition! A couple of people have PMd me about where to find B&Ls, but I've only ever seen them in Hong Kong, and at one place in London where I bought the entire stock:rolleyes:

By the way, at the place where I got the black Gatsby 2s and the yellow Traditionals they also have a pair of Gatsby 1s in tortoiseshell colour (same as your Wayfarers Mich). For another US$100 or so with lenses I'm very tempted to get them too, but I'd worry that this is getting out of hand...

By the way Mich- sorry I didn;t ask before, but where did you get your wayfarers, and how much if you don;t mind sharing? they look like they;re in great condition! A couple of people have PMd me about where to find B&Ls, but I've only ever seen them in Hong Kong, and at one place in London where I bought the entire stock:rolleyes:

By the way, at the place where I got the black Gatsby 2s and the yellow Traditionals they also have a pair of Gatsby 1s in tortoiseshell colour (same as your Wayfarers Mich). For another US$100 or so with lenses I'm very tempted to get them too, but I'd worry that this is getting out of hand...

Sorry RB, didn't read your comment earlier, i got these from a Dutch ebay-like site for €35 incl shipping and they are in pretty mint condition, but used though.

Especially the hinges can sometimes get looser if they have been used much, but on these they still function very good.

I've also seen a pair of Wayfarers on there which were black with electric blue edges, very cool but they had prescription dark glasses in them and the original dark glasses didn't come with them :(

I'd say get those tortoiseshell coloured Gatsby's while you have the opportunity, but then again i'm a sucker for tortoiseshell ;)

That's not a bad price with lenses and all!

Hi Guys, I think that we share the same adiction.

Very nice collection Rodeo Bill!!

I inherited my father's Ray Ban Wayfarer II B&L's. But I always was afraid to wear them. And I stil am.

I have a Thing for White glasses, And I reacently found a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarer II B&L's in White. I just got them in about a week ago.

Here some pic's:

DSC02160.jpg

DSC02166.jpg

DSC02168.jpg

DSC02169.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

The white ones that I just got, are in New condition. They feel stiff and shows no wear.

Nice!

those white wayfarers are awesome julien! difficult to tell, but it look like the writing on the insides is gold?? excellent case too- I really like the press-sides style.

are they both Wayferer IIs? the white ones look deeper than the tortoiseshell... I think rayban may have slightly altered the shapes at different times and still kept the same model numbers though.

i know what you mean about not wanting to wear them- i feel the same about my granny's tortoisehell glasses. But in a way there;s no point having them if you don;t enjoy them, and with acetate (like our raybans) you're not going to harm them, so i say rock 'em with pride:cool:. I do understand when something's inherited it takes on a more personal meaning though, which can be more important than just the vintage aspect.

anyway, I'm a bit pissed up, and i'm rambling, but excellent glasses, and thanks for sharing:)

Thanks guys,

They are both Wayvarer IIs and with gold writing on the inside.

It's true that the white ones have a diffrent shape. They fit alot better to.

I'd notice that My White Wayfarer has transparent (nose parts) and the Wayfarer from Mitch to. I want to know if that indicate some thing. Like Year, are a particular collection or something. And could you also tell me if there is any diffrents in gold or not-gold writings inside?

I'm asking sins you guys know more about Glasses then I am.

I have two more Wayfarer's but these aren't Vintage. the smal ones. And I am Plannig this next summer to buy me som Persol 649 or 714.

Thanks again

They are both Wayvarer IIs and with gold writing on the inside.

It's true that the white ones have a diffrent shape. They fit alot better to.

I'd notice that My White Wayfarer has transparent (nose parts) and the Wayfarer from Mitch to. I want to know if that indicate some thing. Like Year, are a particular collection or something. And could you also tell me if there is any diffrents in gold or not-gold writings inside?

I'm asking sins you guys know more about Glasses then I am.

First of all, i'm far from being an expert on glasses, but to explain the transparent nose parts, it would be my best guess that your white wf's are from an earlier production date than your tortoise coloured ones.

I've come to this conclusion since mine are the wf I and yours are both the wf II, so i'm guesing somewhere along the line they changed the shape and some of the detailling of the wf II.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong on this assumption.

The shape of the white ones also resembles the wf I's more.

btw, mine have a banana yellow writing inside, you can see it on some letters that haven't faded over time.

^^^like Mich, I can;t call myself an expert on frames at all, certainly not daiting things better than a guess. As I understand it though, acetate frames are lamintated, or built up into the 3D shape from lots of thin layers (as opposed to Nylon frames, which are injection moulded). So when you get trasparent, or contrasting colour, nose pieces, it's just that they've changed the colour of the acetate at that (furthes out) point, No idea on dating though I'm afraid:o All my Wayfarers have solid black nose pieces, but my Gatsbys have translucent ones.

This evening I've just been in STAR OPTICAL in Causeway Bay, and they've got about 20 pairs of B&L rayband in stock. At first I went crazy (my friends I was with thought I was crazy) but actually none of them were that great... quite a few pairs of round gold-rim semi-aviator type (similar to the ALGHA gold frames I posted on the last page), and some pretty dodgy looking plastic/metal combos. All 90s I'd say, and not that exciting. Still, a heads-up if anyone in HK's interested. They;re priced to sell too!